PDA

View Full Version : Converting Minidisk to MP3

NtlRebelReborn
08-12-2003, 19:34
Hi all. :wavey:

I have lots of backing tracks already on minidisk and would like to put them all onto a laptop.

Just wondering which program would be the best to use to convert music from the minidisk player onto my pc? :shrug:

It's a normal type Sony minidisk player/recorder so it only has phono leads.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

darkangel
08-12-2003, 19:42
Hi all. :wavey:

I have lots of backing tracks already on minidisk and would like to put them all onto a laptop.

Just wondering which program would be the best to use to convert music from the minidisk player onto my pc? :shrug:

It's a normal type Sony minidisk player/recorder so it only has phono leads.

Thanks in advance for any replies.the only way as far as i know is to connect it to ur soundcard and record the files to wav before u convert to mp3

NtlRebelReborn
08-12-2003, 19:49
the only way as far as i know is to connect it to ur soundcard and record the files to wav before u convert to mp3

I was thinking that that would be the only way, but what program would be the best ? :spin:

homealone
08-12-2003, 19:53
the only way as far as i know is to connect it to ur soundcard and record the files to wav before u convert to mp3

I've used this method to convert from cassette to mp3. (ok I know, whats a cassette - & no it wasn't Bing Crosby;):p )

Fawkes
08-12-2003, 20:26
I was thinking that that would be the only way, but what program would be the best ? :spin:

Cool Edit, but they have been bought out by Adobe I think and now the software cost way over the odds. I have an old copy I can let you have or you can wait for someone to recommend something equally as good. PM me if your interested.

EDIT: I have a more up to date version than this but this is good enough for what you want to do: http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/cool_edit_96.shtml

homealone
08-12-2003, 21:28
Cool Edit, but they have been bought out by Adobe I think and now the software cost way over the odds. I have an old copy I can let you have or you can wait for someone to recommend something equally as good. PM me if your interested.

EDIT: I have a more up to date version than this but this is good enough for what you want to do: http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/cool_edit_96.shtml

I was going to mention using the Nero 'wave editor' app in conjunction with any of the freeware wav to mp3 converters, till I saw that. I don't do a lot of this stuff, but it looks like a really good tool for the job.:)

Gaz

<edit>that assumes a workable connection between your soundcard & the MD player - you say only phono? - doesn't it have a 3.5mm headphone jack? - that would be the one to record from, i.e. would be most compatible with the 'line in' on your soundcard?</edit>

Fawkes
08-12-2003, 21:57
that assumes a workable connection between your soundcard & the MD player - you say only phono? - doesn't it have a 3.5mm headphone jack? - that would be the one to record from, i.e. would be most compatible with the 'line in' on your soundcard?

You can buy a cheap 3.5mm jack to phono lead from Maplin or PC World (grr I hate the Dixons group) for under £5.

If you need something a little better you should buy a good sound card with phono connections.

homealone
08-12-2003, 22:19
You can buy a cheap 3.5mm jack to phono lead from Maplin or PC World (grr I hate the Dixons group) for under £5.

If you need something a little better you should buy a good sound card with phono connections.

that's what I meant - phono to 3.5mm may not work, because I would expect the output to be digital ex the phono sockets on the MD - the 3.5mm 'Line in' socket in a 'normal' soundcard expects an analogue signal?

No doubt soundcards exist that can handle a digital feed, I just wasn't sure whether the OP had one? - /me goes to check manual on creative 4.1 Digital;)

Gaz

Stuart
08-12-2003, 23:02
All Minidiscs AFAIK offer Analogue and Digital in. The portable units generally offer Analogue out (no digital) and the HiFi seperates offer both Analogue & Digital in and out.

If you have a Minidisc with Digital Out, you would be better off using a soundcard with Digital In.

Fawkes
08-12-2003, 23:24
My Dad has transferred some of his stuff from minidisc (separate not a portable) to his PC using a phono-3.5mm jack lead, a creative SoundBlaster 128 and cooledit. Trust me, if he can do it, anyone can. :D

SMHarman
09-12-2003, 00:04
All Minidiscs AFAIK offer Analogue and Digital in. The portable units generally offer Analogue out (no digital) and the HiFi seperates offer both Analogue & Digital in and out.

If you have a Minidisc with Digital Out, you would be better off using a soundcard with Digital In.

But then you get an ATRAC data feed that needs sony codecs?

Stuart
09-12-2003, 00:50
But then you get an ATRAC data feed that needs sony codecs?
No, you don't if you use an Optical or Coaxial digital lead.

The Minidisc converts the ATRAC data to a SPDIF (Sony Panasonic Digital Interface Format) signal, which is then converted to WAV by the soundcard and compressed to whatever format you want by the software.

Stuart
09-12-2003, 00:57
Just to make it clear, when I referred to Digital in and Out in the above posts, I did NOT mean a USB connection. There will be either phono connection labelled digital, or a connection labelled optical. These are the digital connections I am referring to.

SMHarman
09-12-2003, 09:18
No, you don't if you use an Optical or Coaxial digital lead.

The Minidisc converts the ATRAC data to a SPDIF (Sony Panasonic Digital Interface Format) signal, which is then converted to WAV by the soundcard and compressed to whatever format you want by the software.

Thanks (goes hunting for the rep button) - never knew what SPDIF stood for.

Normally on a portable player they are optical out only so you will need a sound card with an optical interface.

NtlRebelReborn
09-12-2003, 12:30
Thanks for all the replies. Downloaded Cool Edit to have a play with.

Drinks all around. :beer: