PDA

View Full Version : Am I just getting old or...

orangebird
19-07-2006, 12:28
Does txt spk annoy the crap out of you too? Even in texts? :afire: :banghead:

zing_deleted
19-07-2006, 12:29
Does txt spk any the crap out of you too? Even in texts? :afire: :banghead:

well that does not make sense ;) unless any was ment to be annoy?? lol

Nugget
19-07-2006, 12:30
Text speak is a plague on society - it takes longer for the person who receives the message to read and understand it than it does for the sender to compose the message in the first place :fit:

Jon M
19-07-2006, 12:30
I tink dats d point ;)

zing_deleted
19-07-2006, 12:32
I tink dats d point ;)

nah thats a typo lol annoy in text speak wouldnt be any even satire has its limits :)

I must say it does my head in sometimes specially when its on msn or something. I do sometimes use u instead of you or ur instead of your and 2 instead of to if im trying to fit a big message into 1 text

gazzae
19-07-2006, 12:35
People who replace S with Z do my head in. As do people who use WOT instead of WHAT.

Enuff
19-07-2006, 12:39
Does txt spk any the crap out of you too? Even in texts? :afire: :banghead:I find it anoying when used in forums, it's not so bad when used in phone txt, I can understand it being used on a phone, because of the time it saves.

My most hated short txt alternatives are...

1. Da = the
2. bin = been
3. fort = thought
4. 2moz = tomorrow
5. *** = come

EDIT: just to add, I dont mind certain shortcuts like.. u, cos, and a few others.

SlackDad
19-07-2006, 12:47
Text speak annoys the crap out of me, but what annoys me even more is the people who spend the whole day texting. What the **** are they saying?
It must be things like, "I've just arrived at work, you?", "Yeah, so have I", "I'm at my desk now", "I'm not quite there yet, just passing the photocopier", "I'm turning my computer on", and on and on.
The most annoying thing is when you're having a conversation with somebody, who then receives a text message which instantly takes priority over your conversation, and not only will they read the text, but start ****ing replying.

orangebird
19-07-2006, 12:49
I find it anoying when used in forums, it's not so bad when used in phone txt, I can understand it being used on a phone, because of the time it saves.

But it doesn't most of the time compared to predictive text - Love - 4 key presses/Luv - 8!!!

My most hated short txt alternatives are...

1. Da = the
2. bin = been
3. fort = thought
4. 2moz = tomorrow
5. *** = come

EDIT: just to add, I dont mind certain shortcuts like.. u, cos, and a few others.

Arrggghhhh... Just seeing them winds me up!!!!!!

Jon M
19-07-2006, 12:52
The thing that winds me up, is consistent typo's that swap letters like "teh" .. especially in business communications ( yes, believe it or not, we have someone here that does it in emails ).

I can't rule out dyslexia, but if it's not it just looks terribly unprofessional.

MadGamer
19-07-2006, 12:54
I dont use text talk, even when im texting as its so bloody annoying.

homealone
19-07-2006, 12:56
The thing that winds me up, is consistent typo's that swap letters like "teh" .. especially in business communications ( yes, believe it or not, we have someone here that does it in emails ).

I can't rule out dyslexia, but if it's not it just looks terribly unprofessional.

we have a senior manager who does that in emails, 'teh' instead of 'the' & 'oyu' instead of 'you' being the favourites :(

Hugh
19-07-2006, 13:37
What I find very amusing/scary are the people who are texting whilst crossing the road - I am just waiting to see an example of evolution in action (Car vs pedestrian = Car 1, pedestrian not looking where he/she/it is going 0).

TheNorm
19-07-2006, 13:42
I find it anoying when used in forums, it's not so bad when used in phone txt, I can understand it being used on a phone, because of the time it saves.

So what's the excuse for "forum speak"? LOL, IMO, AFAIK, etc.

orangebird
19-07-2006, 13:46
Because it's not used to compose whole sentences. When my step daughter texts me or her father it takes us a good five minutes just to decifer it, because the whole damn thing is 'txt spk' :(

Nugget
19-07-2006, 14:03

Technically, aren't they acronyms though?

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

we have a senior manager who does that in emails, 'teh' instead of 'the' & 'oyu' instead of 'you' being the favourites :(

Bet I can guess who that is ;)

Enuff
19-07-2006, 15:04
It took me a while to get used to IMO, IMHO, AFAIK and IIRC. there are a couple more I can't think of? And I always have trouble working them out :confused:

I find the urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/) helps :tu:

Skatoony
19-07-2006, 15:06
Does txt spk annoy the crap out of you too? Even in texts? :afire: :banghead:Nope it's not your age - it annoys me too. I can't even understand it 90% of the time :erm:

Graham M
19-07-2006, 15:07
My girlfriend, for no apparent reason has started using text speak in texts, MSN, WoW, everything! It's annoying the hell out of me, she never did it before!

Maggy
19-07-2006, 15:29
I hate it which is why I never use it even when texting.It is just wrong.:td:

Nugget
19-07-2006, 15:30

I 100% agree with you Coggy - it's an absolute nightmare!

j52c
19-07-2006, 16:12
What on earth is txt spk ?

Hugh
19-07-2006, 16:22
The abbreviated form of English used by (mostly) teenagers when sending each other SMS (short message system) messages on their mobile phones.

Paul K
19-07-2006, 16:25
Text speak should be banned on anything other than the most basic of mobile phones. Anyone found using it anywhere else should be strung up, dipped head first into boiling bleach and then dragged along the M25 by their genitalia.

Hugh
19-07-2006, 16:26
Text speak should be banned on anything other than the most basic of mobile phones. Anyone found using it anywhere else should be strung up, dipped head first into boiling bleach and then dragged along the M25 by their genitalia.

Firm but fair

Salu
19-07-2006, 16:50
I think it shows a nationwide obsession with saving time and being more efficient. It's quicker to type "fort" than it is to type "thought" or "txt" rather than "text". Eek, you might even get a RSI in your thumbs....! :Yikes:

When we used to write a letter a few years ago, it was written by hand and an ink blotter, sealed in an envelope and was taken to the Post Office; on foot. You chatted to the grocer and Mrs Jackson on the way and eventually arrived at the Post Office where you had a chat with the Postmistress. You then walked home.
Now we leap on the PC or mobile phone and communicate instantly saving lots of time which makes us more efficient. What's wrong with that? Nothing on it's own, hell....it's progress; but the pace of life speeds up bit by bit and I think we are operating on insidious higher levels of stress under the impression that we are being just more efficient. This can't go on for ever though.....

:)

j52c
19-07-2006, 17:18
It may be quicker to type it, but it would take me 10 times longer to understand it, so not making it more efficient for me.

it took me ages to figure out what 'm8' stood for in a message I got, thought it was a model number or something.

Chimaera
19-07-2006, 17:19
Bit of a harsh way to treat your Mum, Paul! :rofl: :D

TheNorm
19-07-2006, 17:23
It took me a while to get used to IMO, IMHO, AFAIK and IIRC. there are a couple more I can't think of? And I always have trouble working them out :confused:

I find the urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/) helps :tu:

At first glance, I estimate that I know less than 1% of these words. That makes me feel:
a) Terribly old;
b) Terribly stupid;
c) all of the above...

Angua
19-07-2006, 19:49

A short story was written about a similar problem with "and" linky (http://www.iblist.com/book11405.htm)

I can't even remember what most of the texts are or mean so don't bother (it also take me about 20 minutes to compose a short text in plain English) :rofl:

Must agree with OB loath and detest their use particularly in forums and e-mails. http://www.nearlygood.com/smilies/taz.gif

AndrewJ
19-07-2006, 19:51
In a text message I do not mind it, but in a forum post or MSN etc I do mind it, keep it where it is supposed to me in a flaming text message.

MadGamer
19-07-2006, 20:15

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=782754&postcount=11 :D