PDA

View Full Version : Complete loss of service in St Albans

foddy
19-07-2006, 10:40
I'm seriously ****ed off. I've had almost no television (analogue or digital) or broadband since Saturday morning. I keep calling NTL, they keep saying there's a general fault in the area (a power cut, I was told the first time!)

Monday evening, everything comes back ... and goes again at 10.50. Tuesday, it works again in the afternoon, and dies at 10.55 (just BEFORE the end of Lost!) Still nothing ...

I'm not expecting anything to be done about it, but it's ****ed me off and I need to vent my anger somewhere ... better here than at some support bod.

I think it's time to investigate Sky broadband/HD/Sky+.

lonny
19-07-2006, 11:41
May be tempting fate but no problems in South St Albans - towards Chiswell Green - so give 'em hell!

foddy
19-07-2006, 11:53
May be tempting fate but no problems in South St Albans - towards Chiswell Green - so give 'em hell!
It's back now! No doubt it'll go at 10.55 again tonight, though. It'd be useful if there was a service status page to save calling up support every day (only to be told it'll be fixed soon!)

Cobbydaler
19-07-2006, 12:18
There is here (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/)...

With a link at the bottom of this page.

Enuff
19-07-2006, 12:29
I just lost internet connection for about five minutes. Swinton/Manchester The modem went crazy :D

tony72
19-07-2006, 12:34
I'm in the hp23 area, and my NTL 1mb cable service is going up and down like a yoyo at the moment. I was seeing periodic brief dropouts yesterday, but it's been nearly unusable now for an hour or so, just seems to have come back for the last 5 mins. Is this due to the ongoing "planned maintenance" listed on the status page? I actually wondered if some NTL equipment somewhere along the line was struggling with the heat, but maybe it's just coincidence that these problems are happening on such a hot day.

TheNorm
19-07-2006, 13:54
Or is it the NTL engineers struggling with the heat?

Welcome to the forum (which, you will no doubt discover, it not all gloom and doom):welcome:

rusty wheel
19-07-2006, 13:59
I'm in the hp23 area, and my NTL 1mb cable service is going up and down like a yoyo at the moment. I was seeing periodic brief dropouts yesterday, but it's been nearly unusable now for an hour or so, just seems to have come back for the last 5 mins. Is this due to the ongoing "planned maintenance" listed on the status page? I actually wondered if some NTL equipment somewhere along the line was struggling with the heat, but maybe it's just coincidence that these problems are happening on such a hot day.

I'm in HP18 and yesterday afternoon NTL was unusable - kept dropping out every 10 min or so. But today (so far!) it's been rock solid.

tony72
19-07-2006, 15:28
@TheNorm - thanks. Actually I've visited this forum and/or previous incarnations of it plenty of times in the past, but never got around to posting anything - guess it was enough to see others sharing the pain :D.

My connection seems to have been back stable for the last hour or so now, so fingers crossed whatever was going on is over, unless I just jinxed it.

foddy
19-07-2006, 16:39
There is here (http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/)...

With a link at the bottom of this page. I meant a service status page which actually lists major problems. If you dial up the 0845 numbers, it gives you 3 postcode areas which are affected, but there's nothing on the service page mentioning it.

It's gone again, I spoke too soon.

foddy
21-07-2006, 11:08
It's gone again, I spoke too soon. It's been a week now without a complete day of TV or broadband, is there anything I can do?

MovedGoalPosts
21-07-2006, 11:43
Prolonged outage of service is not good. Phone faults and don't just accept the prerecorded announcements. Speak to an actual person and get them to personally confirm that there is a network fault and when it will be resolved, or alternatively that there is something wrong with your specific service that requires someone to investigate further. And if service has been out for so long, ask for confirmation that you will be credited for the outage period.

foddy
21-07-2006, 11:47
Prolonged outage of service is not good. Phone faults and don't just accept the prerecorded announcements. Speak to an actual person and get them to personally confirm that there is a network fault and when it will be resolved, or alternatively that there is something wrong with your specific service that requires someone to investigate further. And if service has been out for so long, ask for confirmation that you will be credited for the outage period.
Thanks - I've spoken to someone every day this week, each time it'll be fixed "today" at some time. Today was a little more useful - a fault has been raised and an engineer sent out (Tuesday is the first appointment, though) - although no doubt everything will be working then.

I was told they aren't allowed to know what the cause of a fault is, although he did hint that road-side boxes had been overheating. I'm not convinced about this as twice I've lost signal at around 11pm, when they're going to be at their coolest.

Ho humm!