PDA

View Full Version : Broadband drop outs in Hemel Hempstead

rusty wheel
18-07-2006, 17:47
I've just tried to attend a one hour online conference and my connection dropped out every ten minutes. Any one else having this problem?

I've got one of the early motorola surfboard modems and it does get hot - I wondered if that might be the problem (I've had loss of service on and off for the last six months or so) but cust support say that the modem checks out OK. However, I'm not convinced...

What about the distribution cabinets in the street? I have heard that these can overheat causing drop out.

Any ideas?:rolleyes:

Quam256
18-07-2006, 21:49
Hi.
Are you with EX Telewest or NTL.

influenceuk
19-07-2006, 00:19
Nope NTL is fine here, only drop out ii had was when Buncefield went up, but they sorted that about a week later.

Spike_UK
19-07-2006, 01:27
I've been having drop-outs on my 10mbit in HP2 for the last few weeks if I'm honest.

Some nights are better than others. I thought at first it was my Router but it still does it even when plugged directly into my PC. Customer Support are no help as always. I've had a Engineer come out once before but they just stuck a little Attenuator on the modem and said all was OK.

It just drops at random then comes back after a minute. During that time the modem lights stay on as normal.

rusty wheel
19-07-2006, 07:10
Hi.
Are you with EX Telewest or NTL.

NTL - though thinking of moving!

influenceuk
20-07-2006, 09:09
I've been having drop-outs on my 10mbit in HP2 for the last few weeks if I'm honest.

Some nights are better than others. I thought at first it was my Router but it still does it even when plugged directly into my PC. Customer Support are no help as always. I've had a Engineer come out once before but they just stuck a little Attenuator on the modem and said all was OK.

It just drops at random then comes back after a minute. During that time the modem lights stay on as normal.

I too am in the HP2 area, i did have that but all seems to be fine now. If seems to do it when there is alot of traffic, could possibly jus the system resetting the connection to stop it taking too much bandwidth from the other users in the street?!

Who knows, It also seemed to happen if i left my system on longer than 8 hours, it would drop then come back, but as far as i have seen its stop doing that now.

I will test it and see what happens over the weekend.

Spike_UK
23-07-2006, 16:49
It probably does it at other tiems, but it becomes most noticable while I'm playing World of Warcraft.

I've been playing just WoW and it's dropped the connection at least 6 times through out the last 4 hours. The lights stay on as normal but there connection is dead. I'm forced to restart the modem.

fudge
23-07-2006, 17:00
Been working ok in HP3 area

Rik
23-07-2006, 22:04
This problem only happens once every month for me, the connection will just drop for about 20secs light will stay on at modem.

Not a major problem, this happens very rarely for me :D

Im in HP2 6N area :)
Never knew so many Hemel folks visited this forum! :D

influenceuk
24-07-2006, 13:10
I dunno, mine seems to be ok, but i will keep an eye on it.

I still recon its something to do with buncefield! Then again this never used to happen when i was on the 1 or 2 meg service! maybe its just the 10 meg one, and the NTL equipment cant handle the sheer amount we are all downloading lol

Spike_UK
24-07-2006, 18:13
I got fed up with it last night and phoned the technical support. I've got an engineer coming to take a look at it on Wednesday.

They only tried to tell me it was a firewall that was causing it. really through the guy off guard when I told him I'm not running one (which I'm not, usually I'm behind a router, only plug it into the PC to test it's not the router crapping out). He then tried to tell me to boot into Windows Safe-Mode with Networking Support and run it for 24 hours then call back if it still disconnects.

My profession is IT, Safe-Mode wont do a thing in this instance, I knew he was still trying to work out if it was a firewall causing it. I lost my cool then and went on a rant about how it does the same thing if plugged into any of my four workstations or in the router so the fault must be with the equipment. At that point he went to book me a Technition :P

I feel sorry for the customers who aren't as technical as some of us, they must get taken through all manner of "quick fixes" before getting themselves sorted.

I'm on 10mbit and have the ill-fated ntl:home 200 which I figure might be the problem. I've read that these struggle with the 10mbit.

vaiolator
26-07-2006, 00:43
My brother called me at the weekend and said he has had no connection at all for a few days. He said the sync and ready lights weren't constant but flashing.
I told him to look in the modem page and it wasn't locked on to anything, so he is due a visit on Wednesday. He is in Bennetts End.
I seem to be having occasional problems of "page cant be displayed" but the connection is ok as downloading continues as normal. I've known it to be far worse! I'm in Warners End.

Spike_UK
21-08-2006, 10:21
A few weeks on and I still haven't had this resolved.

It's not hardware related as I've had 3 Engineers out over the last few months who have tested my line and replaced my ntl:home200 with the newer ntl:home250. None of this has made any difference.

I'm at the end of my patience with it to be honest.