PDA

View Full Version : prescription drugs

kronas
08-12-2003, 17:20
an executive allen moses at galaxosmithkline has stated that 90% of drugs available on prescription only work in 30-50% of people

He said: "Drugs on the market work, but they don't work in everybody."

Mr Roses, an expert in genetics, said new developments should help tailor drugs more specifically.

At present, pharmaceutical companies adopt a "one-drug-fits-all" policy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3299945.stm

now it does not come as a great shock to anyone that the drugs dont work in everyone but atleast there is an admitance to this but one fear i do have is if these so called customized drugs are made will the cost to the NHS be greatly increased ?

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 17:41
30-50% is a terrible effectiveness rate! Especially when you consider the risk of side effects.

kronas
08-12-2003, 17:43
30-50% is a terrible effectiveness rate! Especially when you consider the risk of side effects.

especially if some of those side affects do affect your over all mental health dizzy spells nausea bleeding :erm:

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 17:51
Yup! Really cr*p.
...and I really hate the way that the big pharamceutical companies can have the medics in their pockets.

kronas
08-12-2003, 17:53
Yup! Really cr*p.
...and I really hate the way that the big pharamceutical companies can have the medics in their pockets.

remember its about profits these days :rolleyes:

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 17:54
remember its about profits these days :rolleyes:Always was :D

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 17:57
If you look further into it, it's a case of drug A works with 30% of the population, drug B works with another 30% just as well, drug C works with another 30% just as well and so on.

So pretty much everyone is covered. Nothing to worry about. Just another media created health scare.

The reason for the low levels is because everyone is different (bit obvious really) and until they get personalised drugs there will always be this situation.

Also people really really need to discuss any side effects they may be suffering with their doctors as another medicine might be more suitable.
Unfortunately people keep quiet and either put up with a treatment which isn't as effective as it should be, or just don't take the medicine.

kronas
08-12-2003, 17:57
Always was :D

true but they had to make the innovations as well :shrug:

Tricky
08-12-2003, 19:50
Biggest problem is the body will become immune to specific drugs (and the smaller ingrediants that make them up). Or at least that's what my Quack told me when I informed him I've been taking Nurofen twice a day for 10 months cos of headaches!!! (Headaches now gone, was a trapped nerve in spine!)

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 19:54
Also people really really need to discuss any side effects they may be suffering with their doctors as another medicine might be more suitable.
In my experience the GP just :shrug: 's

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 20:22
In my experience the GP just :shrug: 's

Well my sexy doctor was interested to hear what side effects I'm suffering from :)