PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with BB tech support/Engineer...added Power levels; please help...

x2srj
17-07-2006, 10:41
The last couple of months I've had issues with my 10MB Broadband intermittedly losing connection. I've had 3 previous engineers round to look at the issue. They've checked my patch in the box down the road, they've replaced my modem and also relaced a little transitter like box that is in the plastic NTL shell that goes on my wall. I'm still getting these issues and when the last engineer came out he said that it would have to be looked at by a more technical engineer next time that can spend more than 20 mins to invesitagate.. well all has been well for 2 weeks until last night... the problems occured again and I have problems. Phoned up technical support expecting to have this more techincal engineer booked only to be told that I will have a normal engineer out again? I repeatingly told the bloke on the phone that last time the engineer was here he said that I would need a more technical guy to look at this if it happened again!!! Also I'm paying £34.99 for a service that is up and down... the bloke on the phone this morning said I should complain to customer services when the issue is resolved but I feel like doing it now!!! Has anyone else ever had issues like mine? What is the success rate at actually getting this working? I'm just stuck on what to do now..

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

When it is down like it is now this is my cable modem status for up and downstram.

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Recieve Powel Level: -21.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 26.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock: Not Locked

Upstream Frequency: 0Hz (refreshed page and got 33600000 Hz)

Upstream transmit Power Level 61.0 dBmV

Can anyone make anything of this data or do I need to post more information?

thanks,

steve

Chris W
17-07-2006, 11:15
hmm power level is shafted

how many cable modems/ set top boxes are there in the house?

x2srj
17-07-2006, 11:20
just the one cable modem...nothing else NTL....

it's been swapped out once about 6 weeks ago...

Chris W
17-07-2006, 11:22
are you a long way from the street cabinet (green box outside)?

x2srj
17-07-2006, 11:51
not really... I've had broadband for 5 years from NTL and these have only happening recently...

Saneboy13
17-07-2006, 13:03
When it is down like it is now this is my cable modem status for up and downstram.

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Recieve Powel Level: -21.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 26.3 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock: Not Locked

Upstream Frequency: 0Hz (refreshed page and got 33600000 Hz)

Upstream transmit Power Level 61.0 dBmV

Can anyone make anything of this data or do I need to post more information?

thanks,

steve[/quote]

My Gosh:shocked:

You are having -21bd hitting the modem and 61bd firing back at the UBR.

First of all -21 will kill your modem on it's own...operating spec. is between -6 and +6db for best results. Just having -21 on it's own is criminal.

As for your 61bd firing back at the UBR, no wonder the thing is up and down like the proverbial who*es drawers:D.

A quick question for you, on the back of the modem is there an attenuator (round in shape) or a square type attenuator?

If either of these are on there, please carfully remove it and make sure the cable is connected nice and snug when you put it back on.

x2srj
17-07-2006, 13:38
It's round shape on a new blue cable modem....

So I have an NTL guy coming round on Wednesday who will be the forth engineer to come round... Is he actually going to be able to look at this issue? or just say what the last one did and that I need a more technical member of staff round to spend more time here.... This morning is was down for 4 hours... it may be another day or so before it goes down again...

Saneboy13
17-07-2006, 13:40
It's round shape on a new blue cable modem....

So I have an NTL guy coming round on Wednesday who will be the forth engineer to come round... Is he actually going to be able to look at this issue? or just say what the last one did and that I need a more technical member of staff round to spend more time here.... This morning is was down for 4 hours... it may be another day or so before it goes down again...

What value attenuator is it? The type you have fitted will affect return path as well as forward

x2srj
17-07-2006, 13:44
how do I find out the value of it? It's a round shape attentuator that was fitted by NTL themselves.. I can take a picture if that helps?

Saneboy13
17-07-2006, 14:36
how do I find out the value of it? It's a round shape attentuator that was fitted by NTL themselves.. I can take a picture if that helps?

Just remove it and then check the modem stats page. That should then tell you what the value of the attenuator was

mmm
17-07-2006, 15:07
Have you been digging in your front garden recently?

x2srj
18-07-2006, 09:36
nope... done nothing!!

These are the figues just taken when it is working...

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 50
Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5056.941 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -17.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 30.7 dB

hairy_mick
18-07-2006, 10:48
it could be one of many things it could be a faulty port that would need network tec to sort that out better get that done now as they are getting rid of a lot of them could also be a slack or loose f-con or barrel it may even be the cable which will need to be replaced.

x2srj
18-07-2006, 11:03
Well when the third engineer came out he said I'd need a network tec when it happened again... tech support are just sending another engineer.... they have already replaced the modem and the bits in the white ntl box on the wall... should I tell them that an engineer is not needed...

James Henry
18-07-2006, 14:28
Hrm are they incapable of doing their work then taking power readings afterwards to see if it actually fixed anything before buggering off? This should have been referred straight away after the first service tech failed to resolve it.

Although considering that morale in those departments is lower than the ocean floor...

wilcoxm
18-07-2006, 17:31
sounds like forward path issues, neg 17DB is way to low. Might need a repull to restore your service, unless they can move you up in the green box.

Whats your upstream power level in the diag as a matter of interest?

Bill C
18-07-2006, 17:41
Although considering that morale in those departments is lower than the ocean floor...

Is that the same as " snakes belly in a wagon rut." :LOL:

BBKing
18-07-2006, 19:49
Downstream receive of -21.3 is too low, downstream SNR of 26.9 is too low, upstream power level of 61 is maxxed out. Any noise or heat would drop the modem offline as it's unable to raise its power output any further. Sounds like a very bad install to me and someone needs to check it out.

x2srj
19-07-2006, 09:42
Hrm are they incapable of doing their work then taking power readings afterwards to see if it actually fixed anything before buggering off? This should have been referred straight away after the first service tech failed to resolve it.

I'll be honest and in the engineers that have visited they've all said that the power levels had been fine... my broadband has always typically been working when they've visited although I'm now waiting for them this morning hoping they turn up soon as it's currently been down since some time last night...