PDA

View Full Version : I love NTL Dial-up... Honest !! :)

Mick The Gwailo
17-07-2006, 09:35
Yes, I know others will laugh, 'specially the NTL
Callers who keep trying to get my Signature on
a Broadband form ;p

Why can they not just accept I am happy with Dial-up ?? :)

I currently pay NTL around £37 per month, (Dial-up/
TV.Phone-line), and yes, I KNOW I could save a little,
but ... I... am... happy... as... I... am... :D

...and will probably STAY as I am, (WITH NTL), for as
long as their Dial-up works... (there HAS only been
the ONE problem I posted about this weekend, in the
whole time I have been with them :) :)

For every user like me that LEFT, NTL would lose that
£37/Month !! ... If I DID accept BB, they would
actually get a few pounds LESS per month ... so isn't
it acceptable to them to just leave me as I AM ??? :D

/Can't say I WILL never "Go BB", but have read so
many "Horror Stories/Problems", (here and elsewhere),
both about the USE of it and actually getting your
P.C. set up, (I underSTAND NTL just connect your
'Home' to BB, and YOU have to set up your P.C. yourself,
calling a 60p/Min "Helpline" for help if needed !! :(

THAT is probably the major "Deterrent" really....
(especially as one poster here has said you can wait
twenty MINUTES at that rate before even SPEAKING
t a "Real Person" !!) :(

/Bring back the 0800 "Helpines", NTL ... and I may
finally AGREE to "Pay you a few pounds per week" LESS :)

Stuart
17-07-2006, 09:39
but about the USE of it and actually getting your

How difficult Broadband is to set up depends on your PC.. If your PC has an Ethenet port (may be labelled LAN or RJ45), it's usually just a case of plugging the PC into the modem and possiby rebooting.

If you connect via USB, just let Windows detect the modem, bung the CD in (you DON'T need to install any software) and letting Windows install the drivers.

punky
17-07-2006, 13:07

If you're the only one left, one of a few, then it may cost them (and then you) a damn sight more than a few quid a month extra to keep you on dial-up. You may find that soon the descision will be taken from you.

I can appreciate how you feel. People were scared when they were pressured to ditch normally-reliable horses for cars. You aren't riding a horse to work now though...

Incidently, most broadband problems on here are about connection speed, not installation. Even when people's speeds are dire, they are still much better than dialup...

Enuff
17-07-2006, 13:24
But you would save money in the long run because of the savings you would make on moving to BB, even if you had to phone TS. As it is now, you'll always be paying more.

JadeFalcon
17-07-2006, 15:30
plus BB is alot easier ... no tying up the phone line plus its always on *well here it is anyways :D*, as long as the modem is on you can just boot up the computer and the net is there, if the modem is'nt on its usually booted before the puter is done anyways, then there's the speed advantages and the advanced content that comes along with it

TheNorm
17-07-2006, 16:08
Yes, I know others will laugh, 'specially the NTL
Callers who keep trying to get my Signature on
a Broadband form ;p

Why can they not just accept I am happy with Dial-up ?? :)

I currently pay NTL around £37 per month, (Dial-up/
TV.Phone-line), and yes, I KNOW I could save a little,
but ... I... am... happy... as... I... am... :D

...and will probably STAY as I am, (WITH NTL), for as
long as their Dial-up works... (there HAS only been
the ONE problem I posted about this weekend, in the
whole time I have been with them :) :)

both about the USE of it and actually getting your

(especially as one poster here has said you can wait
twenty MINUTES at that rate before even SPEAKING
t a "Real Person" !!) :(

I have to say, my 70+ year old father has a similar opinion. Dial-up works very well for what he wants to do, and the potential bother involved in changing to broadband puts him off the whole idea. Also, when I say "but Dad, with broadband the internet is always on" he gives me a look as if to say "what a waste of electricity"!

rearadmiral
18-07-2006, 09:14
Also, I think there R quite a few people on dialup without the TV/phoneline combo who would have to pay an extra £10/month to upgrade to BB. It may not sound a lot, but many people who R currently paying their £15/month subs for ntlfreedom would face a 67% increase in costs to have faster connection which they don't particularly want or need, & an available phoneline which they also don't particularly want as they probably have a mobile anyway. Personally, I don't mind technophobes, but when they're also saving money I think they may have a point. ;~}

suléac
18-07-2006, 11:21
Yes I'm one of them, however your wrong. Bartering with ntl to get a deal is what you do if like me, you are a long standing customer.

I am on Freedom Classic (no longer available) £15 a month but because the friaco number router has been taken away, I have since contemplated an upgrade to BB and promised £14.99 a month.

I informed ntl customer services that I would still probably defect to 'Talk Talk' to which the response was "You will not get connected till sometime 2007":erm: (Utter Rubbish).

Talk Talk will connect me in 3 weeks time...unless ntl put back the router they say BT took out:notme:

rearadmiral
18-07-2006, 12:13
Thanx 4 that sulÃÃâ€*’©ac, I didn't realise NTL would negotiate on a 1-1 basis. Did the £14.99 include the £15 of free calls that NTL Freedom allows you? (I'm on the same deal). Just wondered as that's what makes the deal so good as I only have to pay my BT line rental as I never go over £15 worth of landline calls a month.

1 final point, what is a friaco number router?

Cheers

suléac
18-07-2006, 12:41
Friaco is primarily a business service which means the call is FREE, the router is essentially a device that finds the best route between the two networks.
The other point is if you want an upgrade to BB, you lose your £15 of calls and you will be restricted to free calls only after 18:00hrs.

If you wish to agree a £19.99 package (currently £24.99) then you shall have no restrictions on calls worldwide.

For £20.99 why not go with Talk Talk and your landline rental will be included (one off installation fee of £29.99) + 18 month contract.

rearadmiral
18-07-2006, 14:31
Thanx for the explantion sulÃÃâ€*’©ac, I've never quite understood a router's function.

If Talk Talk's BB was available more quickly than 3 months in my area, it would be an interesting proposition. But that coupled with the fact that they want to supply the phone deal in 3 weeks time means that I'd have to pay both them for my phone & NTL for my Internet access for 10 weeks. Also, as there's no guarantee that BB wil be available in 3 months, if I lose patience & decide I can't wait any longer, (bearing in mind that the wait could be interminable & I'd have to continue to pay NTL), they still have the right to make a cancellation charge.

Their business model would appear to be skewed a little too strongly in their favour. ;~} Thanx for all your comments though, it's been most helpful,

Cheers

suléac
18-07-2006, 15:19
If you were to call Talk Talk on their freephone 0800 0491010 you would be told differently.
If they can connect your phone deal in 3 weeks, there is no reason why they can't finish the deal in the same timeframe for BB is there?

Once your TT account is activated, they will inform ntl & BT for transferral and you keep your same BT phone number.

zing_deleted
18-07-2006, 15:58
but about the USE of it and actually getting your

How difficult Broadband is to set up depends on your PC.. If your PC has an Ethenet port (may be labelled LAN or RJ45), it's usually just a case of plugging the PC into the modem and possiby rebooting.

If you connect via USB, just let Windows detect the modem, bung the CD in (you DON'T need to install any software) and letting Windows install the drivers.

Dude that information on set up isnt strictly correct.FIrst time with a new modem he will have to run through the registration and then install no software ;)