PDA

View Full Version : ntl/ telewest broadband exterior coax cable

toc_entryteam
16-07-2006, 18:20
Hi.

were are currently renovating the room which carries our telewest broadband connection socket and we no longer wish this point to be located in this room.

So we wanted to relocate the broadband exterior cable at the front our house to downstairs the current BB connection runs parallel and straight up the BB socket which is situated upstairs, unfortunately looking at the cable's current length from the Telewest main junction box it isn't long enough to do what we want, we have contacted Telewest with regards to relocating the exterior cable but they want to £75.00 to move one simple cable! It's ridiculous.

What I wanted to know is, can anyone identity the exact cabling (the brand of existing cable we have is commscope) or what we can use as alternative that won't result in loss of quality, speed, data, etc...

I've snailed through the cable forums regarding DIY installation of broadband cabling and the advice seems to be conflicting!

I'm not really bothered about ntl/ Telewest's t&c's about not attempting it yourself, but I’m not paying them £75.00 to move one cable when it seems relevantly simple to do, they made such a mess of originally installing our services i.e. actually placing the exterior cabling they had to come back three times!

Not keen on paying them to fluff it up! It’s seems relevantly simple to do re-use the existing (interior) connection socket and outside coax connectors.

I just need to find out what would the correct coax/ fire optic exterior cabling, I’ve read that RG6/ CT100 does work is this correct?

Thanks

nfs6600
16-07-2006, 19:10
and if you "fluff it up" you will not only get charged £75 but also a callout charge too.

Slyder
16-07-2006, 19:20
and if you "fluff it up" you will not only get charged £75 but also a callout charge too.

Not to mention if it goes pear shaped you could add alot more noise on the line resulting in other paying users in your area having problems.

toc_entryteam
16-07-2006, 19:43
Not to mention if it goes pear shaped you could add alot more noise on the line resulting in other paying users in your area having problems.

well if someone would be kind enough to point out the type of cable i need i wont fluff it up :tu: ... i couldnt give a ******** about other paying users im only in it for self gain ;) ... if i had it my way i would rob all the neighbours bandwidth as well ha :rolleyes:

Slyder
16-07-2006, 19:54
well if someone would be kind enough to point out the type of cable i need i wont fluff it up :tu: ... i couldnt give a ******** about other paying users im only in it for self gain ;) ... if i had it my way i would rob all the neighbours bandwidth as well ha :rolleyes:

I cant help but feel your attitude would change if Joe Bloggs over the road from you had the same brainwave and tried a little DIY on his line resulting in crap performance for yourself. Go buy yourself 5meters of co-axial cable from Maplin. That should do it. :rolleyes:

And if Joe Bloggs lived over the road from me, I would kick up such a fuss, NTL would go out and rewire the whole lot for him even if he did have a little whinge about the workmanship of the installation. ;)

toc_entryteam
16-07-2006, 20:16
I cant help but feel your attitude would change if Joe Bloggs over the road from you had the same brainwave and tried a little DIY on his line resulting in crap performance for yourself. Go buy yourself 5meters of co-axial cable from Maplin. That should do it. :rolleyes:

And if Joe Bloggs lived over the road from me, I would kick up such a fuss, NTL would go out and rewire the whole lot for him even if he did have a little whinge about the workmanship of the installation. ;)

Joe Bloggs wouldnt have to hav a whinge about the workmanship if NTL would just stop hiring <Deleted> who can't follow simple customer's instructions after all the customer is always right, its not like its rocket science to lay a drop cable. :p:

EDIT ROB C: Do not insult others on this forum

jellybaby
16-07-2006, 20:34
With an attitude like that, I don't think you'll be getting much help round here

Graham M
16-07-2006, 20:47
Bye now!

AndrewJ
16-07-2006, 22:15
its not rocket science to lay a drop cable. :p:
Perhaps not but having a attitude to where others feel like they could help seems so for you.

And given that statment what is the point of you posting here then with that question? :dozey:

MovedGoalPosts
16-07-2006, 22:33
The cable on the street side of your modem / set top box / master phone socket is not yours, but the cable co's. Regardless of how you feel about workmanship, it is not for you to fiddle with. Not only must you get the correct grade of cable, but you must also ensure the joints are correctly crimped. Getting either wrong can degrade your service, and possibly your neighbours.

You have asked for help, but insulting those who work for the cable companies will not endear you to anyone on this forum, and is also against the rules of conduct on this forum.

AndyCambs
16-07-2006, 23:33
I'm pleased I don't live in your street...

Slyder
17-07-2006, 06:56
I'm pleased I don't live in your street...

:tu:

Tazfan
17-07-2006, 12:28
Selfish and ignorant. What endearing qualities you have. Dont let the door smack you in the back as you leave.