PDA

View Full Version : Tea

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 14:49
my flatmates think i am weird because i have no milk in my tea. so i thought i would start a pointless thread to find out whether i am in fact weird or if other people do it too...

:D

Stuart W
08-12-2003, 14:52
You are wierd.

Thread closed.

lol! just kidding ;)
I lived with a young lady who allways drank her tea black with no sugar, but coffee white with 3 ?!

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 14:53
You are wierd.

Thread closed.

lol! just kidding ;)
I lived with a young lady who allways drank her tea black with no sugar, but coffee white with 3 ?!

i'd like to see you try to close my thread ;)

i haver to have it with sugar... tastes like vileness without

and coffee makes me :sick:

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 14:56
I have tea without milk or sugar.

Defiant
08-12-2003, 14:57
i'd like to see you try to close my thread ;)

Oh you shouldn't have said that lol

Anyhow I'm a coffee drinker but thinking off giving it a break as I have not been able to sleep for the last three days :erm:

Bifta
08-12-2003, 14:59
Speaking as someone who drinks on average 27 cups of tea a day, milk in cup first (so you can choose how brown you want it), followed by 2 sugars and boiling water .. there is no other way to drink tea!

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 15:00
Milk and two for my tea.

Half a cow and 4 sugars for my coffee

Note to coffee makers, remember if you're making instant with milk put the milk in first, then the instant, stir, then add hot water.
If you're making it without milk, put a little cold water in the mug first, then instant, stir and then hot water.

I find with tea, putting milk in with the bag first reduces the infusion

Wolf
08-12-2003, 15:16
milk in my tea and coffee, 3 medicine spoons of sugar in each and always milk last as it prevent sugar from dissolving and tea flavour getting into water. think about it...i'm right ;)

paulyoung666
08-12-2003, 15:18
lemon tea is ok , other than that it has got to be milk 2 strong please :p

orangebird
08-12-2003, 15:20
Milk and two for my tea.

Half a cow and 4 sugars for my coffee

Note to coffee makers, remember if you're making instant with milk put the milk in first, then the instant, stir, then add hot water.
If you're making it without milk, put a little cold water in the mug first, then instant, stir and then hot water.

I find with tea, putting milk in with the bag first reduces the infusion

I find that too...

teabag (pref pg pyramids), boiling water, no sugar, v little milk (NOT full fat :sick: )
#
Perfect tea. :)

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 15:27
Oh you shouldn't have said that lol

welll it should be interesting to see wtuart W close my thread ;):p

Speaking as someone who drinks on average 27 cups of tea a day, milk in cup first (so you can choose how brown you want it), followed by 2 sugars and boiling water .. there is no other way to drink tea!

have you thought about Tea Drinkers Anonymous? that much caffeine cant be healthy for you...

and it is YORKSHIRE TEA all the way :D Yorkshire Tea, like tea used to be.

I have that then 3 sugar cubes (arent i posh)

homealone
08-12-2003, 15:29
I find that too...

teabag (pref pg pyramids), boiling water, no sugar, v little milk (NOT full fat :sick: )
#
Perfect tea. :)

Agree there OB, just enough low fat milk (in last) to stop the feeling the tea is 'furring up' your teeth - and no sugar.:)

(coffee black + 2 ;))

Gaz

zoombini
08-12-2003, 15:37
Semi Milk & 2 sugars (used to be 3).

But I can drink tea without milk no problemo..
Just have to have sugar in.

Coffee seems 2nd rate now compared to a decent cup of tea.

Mick
08-12-2003, 15:38
Tea two sugars and Milk please and on that note...

Thread Closed.

Not Really! :rofl: :rolleyes: Good poll Dave.

dieselking
08-12-2003, 15:41
Skimmed Milk & 1 sugar :)

Chris
08-12-2003, 15:49
White no sugar for me, and I agree completely with those who use Yorkshire teabags and say that:

1. You have to use boiling water for the tea to infuse properly.
2. The milk should be in the cup first! This I am told is to bring the milk up to temperature gradually as the tea is added, to avoid scalding it.

If I have to make tea without the aid of the pot, I never squeeze the bag into the mug (this adds a nasty bitter taste to the drink) and never add the milk first - it does indeed slow down the infusion.

Also, if I find we're out of milk I'll have it black, but with one sugar added. And I never use sweetener - every single brand has a vile taste and I just don't trust the chemicals.

keithwalton
08-12-2003, 15:59

Your not drinking proper tea if you put the milk in first then, for tea to infuse properly it must reach 93 Celsius, which only occurs if you poor the hot water in imediatly upon boiling onto the the leaves. then add milk once tea bag is removed. its just not rite the other way round.

K

Mick
08-12-2003, 16:13
Also, if I find we're out of milk I'll have it black, but with one sugar added. And I never use sweetener - every single brand has a vile taste and I just don't trust the chemicals.

Agreed.

I know when someones made a brew for me and I have not witnessed them making it, they have used a sweetener, not the same taste with sugar, infact its quite vile.

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 16:49
Agreed.

I know when someones made a brew for me and I have not witnessed them making it, they have used a sweetener, not the same taste with sugar, infact its quite vile.

i find that sweeteners actually make things taste bitter...

and for me the tea bag and sugar cubes go in at the same time, that gets mashed around until its nice and dark brown. then the tea bag is removed, and if required milk is stirred in...

kronas
08-12-2003, 16:56
for me i choose the 'other' option my 'other' is i dont drink tea......or coffee :p :rolleyes:

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 17:00
for me i choose the 'other' option my 'other' is i dont drink tea......or coffee :p :rolleyes:

pfft typical youngster... i didnt drink it until i started uni though :p

you will understand the joy of it soon, doesnt rot ya teeth like cola either ;)

kronas
08-12-2003, 17:02

OI!!!! young man ill have you know :Peace:

water or lemonade for me :angel:

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 17:05

Mmm memories of pints of tea at uni

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 17:13
OI!!!! young man ill have you know :Peace:

same thing ;)

water or lemonade for me :angel:

but that's just not tea... tea is so much more cheaper than lemonade, and if you get yakky birmingham water then you have to boil it to make it "edible"...

Mmm memories of pints of tea at uni

i'm not quite at that stage yet... still on stronger pints :p

kronas
08-12-2003, 17:17
same thing ;)

not in my book ;)

but that's just not tea... tea is so much more cheaper than lemonade, and if you get yakky birmingham water then you have to boil it to make it "edible"...

use bottled water i only drink the premium lemonade anyway and ofcourse tap water :rofl:

SMHarman
08-12-2003, 17:38
Your not drinking proper tea if you put the milk in first then, for tea to infuse properly it must reach 93 Celsius, which only occurs if you poor the hot water in imediatly upon boiling onto the the leaves. then add milk once tea bag is removed. its just not rite the other way round.

K

Which is why it never tastes right in planes.

Due to the altitude the water boils below 93C and so cannot infuse properly.

Jerrek
08-12-2003, 17:54
Ah you British and your teas... I drink neither tea nor coffee, ever. If I have to drink tea, it is just normal, no milk and no sugar.

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 18:17
Ah you British and your teas... I drink neither tea nor coffee, ever. If I have to drink tea, it is just normal, no milk and no sugar.

That's just not normal tho :D

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 18:30

tea beats maple syrup hands down... ;)

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 18:32
tea beats maple syrup hands down... ;)

Hmm, tea on pancakes? You are a sick puppy

Chris
08-12-2003, 18:44

Maple syrup in tea without milk might be interesting though. I have a bottle in the fridge - might try it later.

Bex
08-12-2003, 18:50
i drink my tea with a bit of milk in it, not to strong not to weak, i hate it when other people make me tea because they never make it right (apart from someone i lived with for two years, they soon learnt lol)
but atm i am back on the green tea, because i've not been sleeping.......

when i was at uni i used to drink about a million cups of tea a day (ok slight exaggeration but spoke to my mate recently from uni and he was shocked that i had given up tea, the image he has of me is with a cuppa and a cig :p)

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 18:56

no... drinking maple syrup

/ shakes head

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 19:01
no... drinking maple syrup

mmmmmmmmmmm tasty :)

paulyoung666
08-12-2003, 19:05
tea with sweetener :sick:

yorkshire tea :tu:

milk in first :tu:

pint pots of it :tu:

just dont drink right to the bottom , you never know what might be hiding there ;)

Maggy
08-12-2003, 19:17
I drink Assam with milk no sugar,Earl Grey without milk and a slice of lemon,Green tea,Lotus tea,Spiced tea,Lady Grey tea without milk,Ceylon with milk,Breakfast tea with milk,Iced tea(homemade not that ready made cr@p),Mint tea(also homemade).

When I need to relax I drink Camomile tea.When I need to sleep I drink Valarian tea(Dr Stuarts) or Sleepy Time Tea.If I have a migraine I drink a mixture of Valarian and Camomile.

When I have a cold I drink Blackcurrant or Raspberry tea.

If and when I drink coffee it has to be the real thing,but never after midday.

In between I drink loads of water and at the weekend just 1 or 2 glasses of red wine.

Incog. :D

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 20:17
I drink Assam with milk no sugar,Earl Grey without milk and a slice of lemon,Green tea,Lotus tea,Spiced tea,Lady Grey tea without milk,Ceylon with milk,Breakfast tea with milk,Iced tea(homemade not that ready made cr@p),Mint tea(also homemade).

When I need to relax I drink Camomile tea.When I need to sleep I drink Valarian tea(Dr Stuarts) or Sleepy Time Tea.If I have a migraine I drink a mixture of Valarian and Camomile.

When I have a cold I drink Blackcurrant or Raspberry tea.

If and when I drink coffee it has to be the real thing,but never after midday.

In between I drink loads of water and at the weekend just 1 or 2 glasses of red wine.

Incog. :D

cant you just drink bog standard tea? i think all these flavoured things are just for those who cant hack regular stuff... :p

paulyoung666
08-12-2003, 20:21
there is one tea , i forget the name and it is like antiseptic :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Paul
08-12-2003, 21:50
Milk and at least 3 sugars, more preferred.

Dave Stones
08-12-2003, 21:54
there is one tea , i forget the name and it is like antiseptic :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dettol?

Maggy
08-12-2003, 22:52
cant you just drink bog standard tea? i think all these flavoured things are just for those who cant hack regular stuff... :p

All bog standard tea is just the sweepings from the floor. :p

MetaWraith
08-12-2003, 23:12
what nobody admits to drinking Long Island Iced tea ?

homealone
08-12-2003, 23:20
All bog standard tea is just the sweepings from the floor. :p

I used to work in a tea factory. I didn't have much to do with 'downstairs', where they did the teabags - so I can't confirm or deny your "floorsweepings" allegation;)

I do know that a lot of that factories 'speciality' tea was just gunpowder tumbled with the appropriate 'flavour' - Earl Grey with the bottle of bergamot, for instance.:shrug:

- was intrigued by "Lady Grey", though? - care to expand?

- green tea should be taken with neither milk, nor sugar.

- black tea has tannin, which optionally can be sequestered by milk, or sugar? - black tea should still be astringent, though - to your personal taste;)

Pritch
08-12-2003, 23:55
Nice to see there's at least one other weirdo here who takes it black with no sugar.

Something I started doing years and years ago, it then came in handy when I was a student.

"Tea?"
"Yes please"
"Oh, hang on, the milk is off"
"I don't care."

I think Mark W would probably vote the same, but that's only because whenever I offer him a cup of tea it's usually followed by the caveat "by the way, I've got no milk".

Shaun
09-12-2003, 00:09
every single brand has a vile taste and I just don't trust the chemicals.

LOL

And you think they don't use chemicals on the sugar you buy in a bag/packet!

Depends what time of the day, English Breakfast mostly, sometimes Ceylon or Assam ( I like it really strong! ) , and the (soya) milk has to be added just before drinking. None of that sweet stuff for me! :sick:

Shaun
09-12-2003, 00:12

Try Assam, you'll never look back!

Shaun
09-12-2003, 00:14
- was intrigued by "Lady Grey", though? - care to expand?

Sorry Dr Plumber, I'm too tired to use the edit button ;)

It's Earl Grey but with a fruit flavouring (nice as a change)

homealone
09-12-2003, 01:14

cape cherry?;)

Shaun
09-12-2003, 01:44
cape cherry?;)

:blush: Chilean grapes (shiraz)! ;) :beer:

homealone
09-12-2003, 01:54
:blush: Chilean grapes (shiraz)! ;) :beer:

Ruby Cabernet - Californian grapes.:)

recently £7.99 for 3L at Tesco - lol

:drunk:

Shaun
09-12-2003, 02:09
Ruby Cabernet - Californian grapes.:)

recently £7.99 for 3L at Tesco - lol

:drunk:

Yum, this is a treat from M&S its called "Alta Mira", and all I can say is YUMMY!

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 07:54
dettol?

:nono: , its earl grey :sick:

Dave Stones
09-12-2003, 09:12
:nono: , its earl grey :sick:

same thing...

and what the hell is this assam tea people are going on about? never heard of it...

i still think people who have to have flavoured tea etc are weaklings... :erm:

Nemesis
09-12-2003, 09:19
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE

Right, now I've said that, I'll get me coat .... :sulk:

Chris
09-12-2003, 09:19
and what the hell is this assam tea people are going on about? never heard of it...
Philistine. :rolleyes: ;)

i still think people who have to have flavoured tea etc are weaklings... :erm:
And I think you smell. Nothing like a well reasoned, logical argument, eh? :D

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 09:30
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE
COFFEE

Right, now I've said that, I'll get me coat .... :sulk:

have you gone yet :p :p :p :p

Mick
09-12-2003, 09:42

SO thats 5 reputation points deducted for getting my name wrong, for reference its....

Dr. Plummer. :cool:

and 5 reputation points deducted for being tired and not editing your posts together. :naughty:

BUT hey, guess what? I'm tired as I had to work lastnight so I cannot be bothered to click the rep button, so scrub the above, as its not the end of the world and lets just settle for a cup of tea before I get in bed and have a well earned sleep. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/12/3.gif ;)

Mr_Burns
09-12-2003, 09:52
what nobody admits to drinking Long Island Iced tea ?

mmmmmmmm.........long island iced tea :drool: :drunk: Can't drink too many of them though!

Normally I drink 'Fair Trade' tea which is a really nice blend. You can't put the milk in first and you have to use filtered water, which has been freshly boiled (i.e. just boiled but wait until the bubbling stops) and leave for a few minutes to infuse. And last but not least DO NOT squeeze the bag!

I've tried Lady Grey and Earl Grey ( :sick: ) and I was really disappointed with the fruit teas. They smell great but taste nothing like the smell, if you get what I mean. :erm:

Dave Stones
09-12-2003, 09:53
<cut cut> lets just settle for a cup of tea before I get in bed and have a well earned sleep. http://members.lycos.nl/Dodotje/smilies/sleep3.gif ;)

bed at 940 am? :erm::erm:

And I think you smell. Nothing like a well reasoned, logical argument, eh?

probably true that actually... didnt have time for a shower this morning ;)

Philistine.

maybe so, but i'm still none the wiser as to what assam tea is... and google is so much effort at this time in a morning :(

Dave Stones
09-12-2003, 10:00
i can't believe i am the only person to have tea with no sugar in out of all those who voted... guess i really am weird :(:(

homealone
09-12-2003, 10:18
same thing...

<snip>

Tea is like wine - it's taste & character varies with the region it is grown in, due to variations in soil & climate etc. Not something the average tea bag user pays any attention to, as the manufacturer will have blended teas from various sources to produce their product. Taste & appearance will also vary depending whether the tea is black i.e. 'fermented', which develops tannin & phenolic compounds, or green 'non fermented', which is much less astringent.

Assam tea is a black tea from the Assam region in India, it is renowned for being a 'strong' tasting tea with a darkish colour.

Chris
09-12-2003, 10:21
Assam tea is a black tea from the Assam region in India, it is renowned for being a 'strong' tasting tea with a darkish colour.
And absolutely delicious it is too. :drool:

MetaWraith
09-12-2003, 10:38
Tea is great for home, and very refreshing, but when out and about doing the tourist thing you cant beat a steaming hot mug of cocoa and scones with jam and clotted cream.

Dave Stones
09-12-2003, 11:25
Tea is great for home, and very refreshing, but when out and about doing the tourist thing you cant beat a steaming hot mug of cocoa and scones with jam and clotted cream.

are you cornish by any chance?

Shaun
09-12-2003, 12:30
SO thats 5 reputation points deducted for getting my name wrong, for reference its....

Dr. Plummer. :cool:

and 5 reputation points deducted for being tired and not editing your posts together. :naughty:

Sorry Sir, :dunce:

Have a good sleep, and you'll wake all refreshed and ready devastate my rep ;)

It's got a lovely smoky flavor to it and its one of my favourites.

Oh, and I don't take sugar either Dave ;)

Dave Stones
09-12-2003, 13:00
It's got a lovely smoky flavor to it

if i wanted a smoky flavour i would take up smoking... smoke-falvoured tea? no thank you sir.

i will stick to my yorkshire brew :)