PDA

View Full Version : NTL DIAL-UP SUPPORT inside, please :(( <<<<

Mick The Gwailo
16-07-2006, 15:39
Emailed this TO ntl via their Support Form ... though the copy of this that came back
in the 'Message recieved' Email contained just the FIRST THREE LINES of below.
so I don't even know if this FULL MESSAGE was recieved ? ? ? ...

-===============================-

Since approx 10AM on Saturday 15th July the Dial-Up Internet Number, (0800 519 0100)
has failed to connect. Instead of the usual 'Computer' answering, on P.C. it will
RING four times then stop with a "The line was busy" message, endlessly repeated for
as long as I allow it to 'Redial'. (If I dial 0800 519 0100 MANUALLY, the phone will
just continue *ringing*, also endlessly, instead of the usual 'computer tones' ).

The NTL "Status Line", 0800 052 4315, has, during this whole time, said :-
"There are currently NO NTL Service Issues to report." ? ? ?

(On Friday 14th July I recieved a lengthy call FROM NTL trying to persuade me to sign
up to the Broadband service, at the end of which the NTL Caller was 'mildly' sarcastic,
saying, as a laughed comment, he "could not believe this" to another person before
hanging up). I WILL "ASSUME" THIS HAS NO BEARING with my NTL Dial-up service failing
the following morning, of course, though, in my whole time with NTL, I have NEVER had
such a lengthy "breakdown" of service before ...

IF THIS *IS* SOME ATTEMPT TO PERSUADE ME TO SIGN UP TO BROADBAND, I AM BOTH DISGUSTER
AND WILL BE BACK WITH B.T. as soon as possible !! :(

I will probably call your "NTL Dial-up Problems" number, 0906 301 2222
sometime on Monday (17th July) morning, though as when I called the
regular 0845 Customer Service number on Saturday morning I was told there
was NO 'apparent' problems with my account I am not too hopeful of a solution
that way, (and do not intend to spend TOO long trying to report a fault with
YOUR equipment at 50p/min anyway). :(

(I am incidentally perfectly happy with a Dial-up connection, (even happy to pay you
a couple of pounds a week more THAN broadband), but of course I must have a WORKING
service ... I would *prefer* that to be on an NTL LINE, but if you cannot provide it,
then B.T. surely can ... (I did note Virgin.net offers 'Unlimited' dial-up for £13.49p ,
but a B.T. line is required, ruling THAT out... at this time).

I would appreciate either ...
You contacting me either by PHONE (or EMAIL) regarding correction of this Dial-up failure,
(perhaps if you have an engineer currently 'in the area' to arrange an appointment to
CONFIRM this problem at least, IF you can find nothing wrong 'at your end').

michael.vine AT NTLWorld.com

MovedGoalPosts
16-07-2006, 17:18
I'm rather confused, you use dial up internet, and say that the number you use won't connect, yet somehow you've posted :confused:

nfs6600
16-07-2006, 18:25
There are other providers around ;) he could be using a secondary connection. Or posting from a friends computer. The problem more than likely is with the computer anyway

darkone338
16-07-2006, 23:59
There are other providers around ;) he could be using a secondary connection. Or posting from a friends computer. The problem more than likely is with the computer anyway

i think if you re read, the OP says "(If I dial 0800 519 0100 MANUALLY, the phone will
just continue *ringing*, also endlessly, instead of the usual 'computer tones' ).
"
To me, that kinda rules out his computer ?

suléac
17-07-2006, 02:30
Although ntl won't admit it, they are now in the process of shutting down all dialup routers by means of phist, the actual phone number is however still active just the route been taken out.

I know this because my 0808 9909877 route was phist by ntl technicians on the 13th June (BT engineer tested my exchange and informed me of this) and they (ntl) gave me the one I'm currently on 0800 5190100, in fact I'm posting on it now..I advise you Mick that whoever is your phoneline providor, have them test it and the exchange also and if all is OK then ntl have also removed the router from your telephone line to the dialup number.

Talk Talk do a broadband package for £20.99 a month line included with unlimited number of inclusive calls to any local and national UK landline number, anytime, Unlimited number of inclusive international landline calls to 28 mainland countries (http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/servlet/gben-LLU-PageServer?article=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.LLSTATI C.INTERNATIONAL) worldwide.
A £29.99 one-off connection fee will be on your first bill.

Mick The Gwailo
17-07-2006, 08:55
Yes, as is presumably obvious ;p .. I WAS posting
using an alternative, ('Pay-per-Minute') ISP...

Anyway, some 34 hours after the quoted dial-up
number just RANG, I noticed a 'Computer' was answering
again :) ...

It was 'Down' 10am SATURDAY till sometime SUNDAY Evening, in all ? ??

On the PLUS Side, twice on Sunday night I got a
46,333 connection :) .... (Normally 42,666)

On the Minus ??? side, IF NTL *are* doing ANYthing
that interrupts service for THAT length of time,
how long does it take to record a short message
on the Server Status line and save a little
Hassle and/or lot of "Bad Feeling" ???... :)

Mick The Gwailo
18-07-2006, 17:09
And finally, to their credit, NTL Support did Mail on Monday,
saying there had been Dial-Up connection problems in some
parts of the country over the weekend ... and there was
nothing on the Support Line as parts of NTL are 'Closed' at
weekends ... :)

Something about a server needing to be re-booted, as I
remember the Email :)