PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent disconnection & installation of webstar drivers

superbantam
16-07-2006, 13:34
I've started getting problems with my telewest broadband, where I seem to lose the connection every so often - I have to reset the modem & reboot to fix it

Entires in the log that might relate to this are -

2006-07-16 10:45:24 information Got a map with the new UCD change count, and changed upstream parms
2006-07-16 10:37:54 critical Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2006-07-16 03:16:39 error BPI FLASH: The Mfg CA certificate not found!

I decided that maybe if I upgrade the drivers these errors will stop & so my connection will be fixed. However, when I look at device manager to update the driver I can only see two entries under network adapters

1394 net adapter
sis 900-based pci fast ethernet adapter

& no entry for the webstar modem.

I don't want to mess around with things that I don't know too much about so can someone give me some advice as to what I should be doing to upgrade the drivers? (or even some advice on the intermittent disconnections)

Thanks

Quam256
16-07-2006, 16:13
Type in 192.168.100.1 in your address bar .
When the config page comes up go to the signal page and find out what your
Downstream power level and SNR and also your upstrem power level are and put them on here.
P.S dont make any changes on here .

superbantam
16-07-2006, 16:25
Cheers,

That gives me this info

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem. Downstream Status
OperationalChannel ID
1Downstream Frequency
331250000 HzModulation
QAM256Bit Rate
4096000 bpsPower Level
1.86 dBmVSignal to Noise Ratio
33 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem. Upstream Status
OperationalChannel ID
3Upstream Frequency
29008000 HzBit Rate
384000 bpsPower Level
45.25 dBmV
The modem is a DPX100 by the way.

Quam256
16-07-2006, 17:37
Are far as I can see the levels look fine.
When you loose the connection does the Cable light (bottom light)go out on the modem or does it stay on .
When you loose the connection again before you reboot it ,see if you can get into the config page 192.168.100.1 and if you do renew the page just to makesure.If you can get the config page the problem is not between the modem and the Pc .
Next go to start > run >type in "cmd " hit enter.
type in"tracert www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk)" and hit enter ,this will show you how far your connection goes from your pc before it fails.
Hope this helps.

Kryton
16-07-2006, 18:19
I can see your problem straight away, your downstream has locked onto the wrong frequency. I have seen this a few times with Webstar modems, don't know why they do it sometimes. Goto http://192.168.100.1/gscan.htm and change starting frequency to 331000000 Mhz, and restart the modem. Alll will be fine afterwards :)

superbantam
16-07-2006, 19:39
Thanks for the advice Quam256 & Kryton,

Kryton,

I did this & reset the modem - the cable light starting intemittently going on and off & there was no connection. When I checked on 192.168.100.1/gscan it showed the frequency as something like 253123123 though the box for the start frequency did show 331000000. I can only guess it was because I copied and pasted the number from your post, as when I manually entered it & reset it seems to have worked ok. I'll see how I get on in the next few days. By the way, could you tell me briefly what this number actually means/does? or point me at a decent site? I'm just interested in learning a bit more

Quam256,

Just for the record (and anyone else who reads this thread). When I lost connection I could still connect to the modem, and the cable light was on all the time. When I kept refreshing I could actually see the SNR number changing, which was a bit odd.

Doing the tracert www.bbc.co.uk (http://www.bbc.co.uk) produced the response 'Unable to resolve target system name www.bbc.co.uk' (http://www.bbc.co.uk') which I guess mean it can't see the DNS server. I tried other addresses too just to make sure with the same error.

Thanks again both of you for the quick & helpful response. I'll post back if I'm still getting errors.

Kryton
18-07-2006, 17:17
331000000Mhz is the frequency used for your incoming signal (downstream). SNR will move about but should be fairly stable. The SNR should be >29dB but generally is above 32dB.

superbantam
22-07-2006, 12:26
Pleased to say that this change seems to have fixed my problems.

Thanks all.

joseph2541
11-02-2010, 13:58
Just wanted to say I had this same problem two weeks ago and phoned Virgin for help had no adaquate response did this and it has run like a dream since. Thank you very much.

wearerayner
02-05-2010, 14:16
Fairly experienced newbie here.

Have dpx100 modem, di-524 wireless router covering two laptops, hewlett packard scanner printer and Ipod touch, also xbox 360 hardwired to router. All was fine till the modem started dropping out. The xbox particularly is prone to losing the connection in multiplayer games.

India was unable to understand the problem, seeming not to grasp that I had connection but only intermittently. Tried to sell me a VM router. We had problems with TV too so rang the 'im thinking of leaving' peeps and got a new set top box, a complimentary router en route and a cheaper bill. In fairness to us the guy who dropped the new box described the old one as an antique. It was 12 years old, and as the engineer said easily confused!

Anyway have taken the advice from Kryton, changed start frequency and will report results.

Peter_
02-05-2010, 15:57
Fairly experienced newbie here.

Have dpx100 modem, di-524 wireless router covering two laptops, hewlett packard scanner printer and Ipod touch, also xbox 360 hardwired to router. All was fine till the modem started dropping out. The xbox particularly is prone to losing the connection in multiplayer games.

India was unable to understand the problem, seeming not to grasp that I had connection but only intermittently. Tried to sell me a VM router. We had problems with TV too so rang the 'im thinking of leaving' peeps and got a new set top box, a complimentary router en route and a cheaper bill. In fairness to us the guy who dropped the new box described the old one as an antique. It was 12 years old, and as the engineer said easily confused!

Anyway have taken the advice from Kryton, changed start frequency and will report results.
You need to call in and get that modem replaced as it will continue to drift off frequency, call tomorrow and they should send out a replacement.

wearerayner
02-05-2010, 18:31
Thanks for the advice guys.

Kryton, the changed frequency seems to work. We have now got both laptops and the Xbox online. The wife is immersed in farm town and I am back to being killed by 12 year old american girls. Had a multi-player session of COD modern warfare 2 which lasted well over an hour without crashing the modem.

Masque, the modem is a little younger than the set top box but still about 10 yrs old. I will call.

Thanks again.

Peter_
02-05-2010, 18:36
Masque, the modem is a little younger than the set top box but still about 10 yrs old. I will call.

Thanks again.
They should replace a DPX on sight.

Then ask to be put through to the TV side and complain about the stuttering and jitter plus remember to tell them about the constant rebooting you have you do just to get it to work and you should get it replaced as well.;););)

wearerayner
02-05-2010, 18:59
Engineer came yesterday to replace the box for the TV, new one is like lightning compared with the old one. However the guy who came must have had some idea that the modem was causing the problem with the broadband and we DID tell him there was a problem. If I'd come across you guys before he came we would have had a new modem before he left. C'est la vie. Instead he implied the new router they are sending me would fix it.

I have built my home network up over the years and never had problems with the modem. I also know more than most people about networking but am no expert.

It is obviously a case of either an engineer who doesn't know what Kryton and Masque are clearly aware of or he simply couldn't be bothered. He probably thought he was just replacing a set top box and didn't want to extend the visit diagnosing broadband issues.

Peter_
02-05-2010, 19:04
It is obviously a case of either an engineer who doesn't know what Kryton and Masque are clearly aware of or he simply couldn't be bothered. He probably thought he was just replacing a set top box and didn't want to extend the visit diagnosing broadband issues.
More likely the above and a router will not fix an ailing modem, call tomorrow after 0800 and you should get one sent via UPS.

wearerayner
02-05-2010, 19:09
BTW Masque I see you work for vm, will a new modem be a job I can do or will it be an engineer visit?

Peter_
02-05-2010, 19:17
BTW Masque I see you work for vm, will a new modem be a job I can do or will it be an engineer visit?
Self install.

Unscrew white coax, remove ethernet cable and power and put modem to one side.

Unpack new modem and screw coax on plug in ethernet cable and power lead and then plug in power pack, also make a note of the MAC address from the base of the modem.

You now need to call Technical Support on 151 from a Virginmedia phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and quote them the MAC address of the modem.

5 minutes later you should be back online.

To dispose of the old modem just take it the local council dump and put in the electrical recycling bin next time you visit, break the coax thread to stop anyone trying to salvage the modem.

wearerayner
02-05-2010, 19:28
Thanks for doing this on a sunday my friend, I am grateful for your advice.

wearerayner
03-05-2010, 11:33
Modem on it's way, router ditto, new tv box working well and internet holding up.

Once again Masque and Kryton, thanks for the help

Peter_
03-05-2010, 12:12
Modem on it's way, router ditto, new tv box working well and internet holding up.

Once again Masque and Kryton, thanks for the help
No surprise all agents should replace the DPX series of modems on sight.;)