PDA

View Full Version : GUTTED! Dolby 5.1 decoder BROKE!

Stuart W
08-12-2003, 14:39
:afire: My Cambridge Soundworks DD Decoder has finaly given up on me.

So........

I have a SB Audigy card which can drive 4 speakers (2 front, 2 rear) AFAIK, which means I could get adapter cables and continue to use my sattelite speakers & active sub.

My question is.... can I get an adapter to somehow give me the 5.1 channels seperatly?
I don't think there i such a thing without actually decoding the digital 5.1 signal from the Audigy card, but I've been wrong before and hopefully I'm wrong again now!

Any help appreciated ;)

Bifta
08-12-2003, 15:03
:afire: My Cambridge Soundworks DD Decoder has finaly given up on me.

So........

I have a SB Audigy card which can drive 4 speakers (2 front, 2 rear) AFAIK, which means I could get adapter cables and continue to use my sattelite speakers & active sub.

My question is.... can I get an adapter to somehow give me the 5.1 channels seperatly?
I don't think there i such a thing without actually decoding the digital 5.1 signal from the Audigy card, but I've been wrong before and hopefully I'm wrong again now!

Any help appreciated ;)

So you have what? A decoder box which is knackered, and a sub and 5 surround speakers? ****ey deal, afaik the only choices you have are to contact Creative Europe and see if you can get hold of another decoder or buy a cheap Creative 5.1 set (which admittedly won't be dolby digital but will still do 5.1) for around 40-50 notes.

Stuart W
08-12-2003, 16:16
So you have what? A decoder box which is knackered, and a sub and 5 surround speakers? ****ey deal, afaik the only choices you have are to contact Creative Europe and see if you can get hold of another decoder or buy a cheap Creative 5.1 set (which admittedly won't be dolby digital but will still do 5.1) for around 40-50 notes.

I actually have a decoder box which will only work in 'analogue' mode (no optical, no coaxial etc.) and it does decode all 5.1 channels, but the 2 front and 2 rear channels have shed loads of digital noise... a bit like an old computer doing random bleeps is my best description, but it is a good 200% LOUDER than the signal for that channel!

So, at the moment it's a 1.1 decoder. Center & Sub.