PDA

View Full Version : cable power levels problem

rajravat
16-07-2006, 07:36
ive been having problems with my ntl broadband ever since they upgraded it to 4mbit, i cant receive faster speeds than say 200k, sometimes faster, its like im getting extremely high packet loss, if i download something itll go at 20kb, then 10, then 5 then 0 and upto 10 again and keep on doing that.

yday i was getting the full 4mbit and everything was workign fne (for the first time in 2 weeks) i checked my modem power levels and it was as so:

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.74 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 23.46 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 44.50 dBmv

Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 4096000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 400000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm100_ntl0001.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

this morning my connection is buggered again, checking the power levels..

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : -0.57 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 28.36 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 40.25 dBmv

pretty concerning download receive power level......do you think this is what is causng my problems? if i ring ntl how would i go about telling them my power levels on the modem arent right? or will they just send out an engineer?

thanks

James Henry
16-07-2006, 07:49
Actually I'd say your downstream SNR is more likely to be causing the poor performance. Best phone tech support and try and arrange an engineer.

mmm
16-07-2006, 12:40
The power levels when you say the connection is bad are much better (SNR and upstrean) than when you say the service is good. The variation is quite marked but the weather will be a factor. Have a check that the coax connectors between your modem and wall socket are still finger tight.

I wouldn't be surprised if the recent upgrade to 4Mbs has left bits of your local network overloaded, there's still a lot of work ongoing in upgrading/optimizing the network going on.