PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield2 and CSS connection problems

sparko
15-07-2006, 02:22
Hi
I've just moved from a non NTL area and due to the price difference decided to switch to NTL.

I used to be on 1MB freeserve through a BT landline and never had any probs playing online.

Until now that is,I am on 1MB ntl cable but when I am playing online I get 'connection problems' every minute or so and the game hangs for a couple of seconds then resumes,also things like jets seem to judder across the sky rather than move smoothly.

I connect through a router so I thought that may be the problem so I got a long ethernet cable to connect straight into the modem and its still the same.

Its as if the broadband connection actually drops out for a few seconds.

I would be eternally grateful for any advice before I do battle with NTL helpline as I really can't put up with this

Thanks

Mike

MovedGoalPosts
15-07-2006, 03:03
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

your issues in BF2 sound remarkably similar to my issues in COD:UO http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=49975

But unless ntl have really messed something up I'd be surprised if they are truly related.

tucker61
15-07-2006, 09:20
I have similar problems on CODUO and CSzero, Even upgraded to 10 mb but problem still there.
Spoke to ntl last week who checked my connection and told me there was no problem, It was the server.

AndrewJ
15-07-2006, 10:13
Funny enough I am on 10mb and I find bf2 gets laggy wayyyy to much, also recently Halo has started acting up aswell.

I have begun hosting my own games and the ping and lag seems to stop.

Graham M
15-07-2006, 13:23
Well BT 1MBit wouldve had a 256k Upload. NTL 1MBit, however has a 100k upload which from experience, no matter what any techhead says CAN have an effect on your gaming. Try playing about with your rates, you should be able to find a suitable set.

James Henry
15-07-2006, 13:32
Funny enough I am on 10mb and I find bf2 gets laggy wayyyy to much, also recently Halo has started acting up aswell.

I have begun hosting my own games and the ping and lag seems to stop.

Well yeah hosting games locally the lag will stop, no internet to traverse.

Packet loss is the most likely explanation to all of this anyway. Any tests for packet loss been done?

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:30 ----------

Well BT 1MBit wouldve had a 256k Upload. NTL 1MBit, however has a 100k upload which from experience, no matter what any techhead says CAN have an effect on your gaming. Try playing about with your rates, you should be able to find a suitable set.

Some games now do indeed recommend 128kbps or even 256kbps of upload.

AndrewJ
15-07-2006, 13:36
10mb comes with 512k of upload, and I still get major lag at times from games hosted by friends in the UK.

Graham M
15-07-2006, 13:42
10mb comes with 512k of upload, and I still get major lag at times from games hosted by friends in the UK.

Probably to do with their upload speed and how many people theyre hosting.

sparko
15-07-2006, 18:54
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I'm going to have to do a bit more investigation before and tweaking the I shall give ntl a ring. I took their service purely on the price and if it can't do what I need it to do then I may have to try and wriggle out of my contract with them if the smallprint allows me too

AndrewJ
15-07-2006, 22:48
Probably to do with their upload speed and how many people theyre hosting.

A game tonight hosted by a lad literally two minutes from my house, he is on 10mb with 512k upload, and has a similar spec pc to me only he has a 6800ultra to my 7900gt.

The game played fine with 8 people on it, then suddenly connection problems for everyone till he lost connection and had to reboot his SACM? shortly afterwards I lost my net and had to do the same.

sparko
17-07-2006, 16:48
Well it seems the prob is NTLs after all thet have a problem in my area and work started today.

Touch wood it has been a lot better today and I even got a free months upgrade to 4MB which I may take up permanently if its any good,

Thanks again for the replies

AndrewJ
17-07-2006, 17:36
Just to note mine has improved ten fold in the last day or so... I am hitting my normal speeds and in gaming I am just fine. :) my ping on UK game servers is down to about 30/40 spikin to 100 at demanding times.

hammered
19-07-2006, 14:11
Had connection problems playing games for months now. It's NTL not you, and they aren't bothered about sorting the problem out... All they'll try and do is what they already have done, try and fob you off with a few months free upgrade and hope that you forget about the issue...

NTL don't give a monkeys about gamers... They will always claim that there isn't a problem. But there is and the problem starts as the data is hopping out of the NTL network. If you do trace routing you'll find that all the hops through the NTL network are fine, the the very first hop out is where you sstart getting packet loss....

Just try and get NTL to admit they have any sort of problem... You'll never do it... LOL