PDA

View Full Version : NTL and VPN

arj
08-12-2003, 13:31
Do NTL allow VPN traffic on their 150K connection??

Cheers
Andy

downquark1
08-12-2003, 13:38

Cheers
Andy I think NTL T&C forbid any VPN. Can someone confirm.

Neil
08-12-2003, 13:42
I think NTL T&C forbid any VPN. Can someone confirm.

They don't forbid it at all, they just don't support it if you have any problems while using VPN.

downquark1
08-12-2003, 13:51
They don't forbid it at all, they just don't support it if you have any problems while using VPN. Opps sorry :blush:

setch
08-12-2003, 14:09
They don't forbid it at all, they just don't support it if you have any problems while using VPN.

Forgive me if I have wrong, my understanding is that you can access VPNs from your NTL connection, but you cannot use it to run your own VPN.
Setch

Jon M
08-12-2003, 14:13
Forgive me if I have wrong, my understanding is that you can access VPNs from your NTL connection, but you cannot use it to run your own VPN.
Setch

considering that fact that you don't have a static IP address, running a VPN server will be fairly difficult (and expensive) but not impossible.

from Neil's comment I assume that VPN traffic in either sense (client or server) is ok though

setch
08-12-2003, 14:16
A linksys router and dyndns.org keep your IP more or less static.

Jon M
08-12-2003, 14:21
true. i was factoring the lowest common denominator as far as technical awareness was concerned ;)

Neil
08-12-2003, 14:22
Setch

18. Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)

You may use VPN when obtaining access to ntl Internet and/or Interactive Services, but we do not provide technical support and by using VPN, you acknowledge that your services may be adversely affected by such use. If you use VPN and this affects our network performance or any users of ntl's services, we reserve the right to instruct you to stop using VPN and you must comply with this request.

http://www.ntlhome.com/legals/userpolicy.html

HTH.

Fawkes
08-12-2003, 15:06
Questions about VPNs come up time and again here and on .com, it would be handy if there was an FAQ about them on www.ntli.info

Please note, I'm not offering to write it!

Stuart W
08-12-2003, 15:44
A linksys router and dyndns.org keep your IP more or less static.

No, it will resolve a static URL to a dynamic IP.
You cannot force an IP to stay the same.

But, this is a good idea if you need to give an address to people and not have to change it whenever your IP changes.

You must remember to give your DNS address out though, not your IP.

zovat
08-12-2003, 22:49

Cheers
Andy

They allow you to use one - they merely will not support it and reserve the right to tell you to stop using it if it adversely effects the network....

<edit - bugger - didn't read Niel's post fully>

I have used a VPN client to connect to my office on average one day a week - I rarely have any issues with it - and NTL have never complained to me (I have been using it for a couple of years...)

Admittedly I have the 1Mb now - but I never had issues on the 600k either :D

MovedGoalPosts
08-12-2003, 23:24
http://www.ntlhome.com/legals/userpolicy.html

WOW, When did ntl change that, the User Policy used to be far more restrictive, although Bill Goodland (he's been rather quiet of late - does he still exist?) did concede that it was badly worded.

It used to say (Feb 2003 at least):
18. Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)

As stated above, the ntl Internet and/or Interactive Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are using VPN via the ntl IP network we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to pervent problems to ntl (eg network performance) and other internet users.

Must go and get out the champagne - a "concession" by ntl.

Myron
09-12-2003, 14:31
WOW, When did ntl change that, the User Policy used to be far more restrictive, although Bill Goodland (he's been rather quiet of late - does he still exist?) did concede that it was badly worded.

It used to say (Feb 2003 at least):

Must go and get out the champagne - a "concession" by ntl.Simple law of business. Make the T&Cs too restrictive, the competitirs notice, de-restrict their T&Cs and poach customers from NTL. Besides, why ban VPN? Does no harm. It's quite resonable tor NTL, lat alone any Internet Access/Service provider, to protect their network from abuse. NTL should just be careful not to go stasi on their customers.

MovedGoalPosts
09-12-2003, 15:55
Simple law of business. Make the T&Cs too restrictive, the competitirs notice, de-restrict their T&Cs and poach customers from NTL. Besides, why ban VPN? Does no harm. It's quite resonable tor NTL, lat alone any Internet Access/Service provider, to protect their network from abuse. NTL should just be careful not to go stasi on their customers.

Hmm, I doubt that really applies to ntl's school of thinking - after all if they were worried about the competition, they would have dropped the cap clauses when they realised the rest of the industry wasn't going to follow thier lead.

I think the VPN clauses were originally misworded, trying to prevent ntl customers running VPN based servers (most likely to be a business user who should not have a residential connection), rather than home users trying to connect to their workplace (in my view a very legitimate use of a residential connection for a homeworker type user). After getting comments raised on that month after month someone finally managed to reword the AUP, to actually say something more akin to what they meant. So for once I have to say well done to ntl.

Paul
09-12-2003, 16:32
Hmm, I doubt that really applies to ntl's school of thinking - after all if they were worried about the competition, they would have dropped the cap clauses when they realised the rest of the industry wasn't going to follow thier lead.
Except that it appears that a few other ISP's are now slowly following suit.

MovedGoalPosts
09-12-2003, 16:57
Except that it appears that a few other ISP's are now slowly following suit.

:notopic: I'm only aware of Virgin.net having just introduced a cap (harsher than ntl's :eeek: ), and then of course there was always the BT broadband no frills version as opposed to BT Openworld (Yahoo) which was always a tad different as you had the ability to choose the uncapped service of the BT family. There are limits on dial up, but that's different technology. I'm not aware of anyone else having slowly followed suit - hardly trend setting.

thedjsi
20-10-2005, 19:48
Hi

Technically they do not allow VPN's however it is possible to run certain VPN's over there network but there are limitations!

Because of NAT'ing only the following are allowed or should i say work properly!

PPTP pass-through

L2PT pass-through

True IPsec does not like to work unless you use the true internet ip address as IPsec does not like being in a private IP address such as 192.168.x.x!

This however can be got around if you use internet address such as 82.15.x.x. You can find out your IP address by going to www.whatismyip.com (http://www.whatismyip.com/)

It a pain in the ass coz most of us have a internal network like wireless with a Linksys router hanging off the back of the cable modem (Best config by the way)

Hope this helps

Si

jalogica
01-07-2007, 23:07
Does anyone know whether NTL Business block incoming VPN on port 1723 from remote to your own network?