PDA

View Full Version : Setting up sky.

djnerve
13-07-2006, 20:43
hey guys i baught a sky dish and have got a stb. but just how do i wire the cable? do i strip it till theirs just 1 bar copper wire or fold the little silver bits back? i have done the 1st option and as i cant get the dish on my wall till tomorrow ive been trying to sit it out of my window but i get no satalite signal beiing recived.

Any ideas or tutorials?

iain_herts
13-07-2006, 20:57
hi what we do as a sky empleyee is.

1)cut the outer covering off
2)pull down the wire bradeing
3)now cut the metal sheffing about 5mm from the bottom then pull of the sheffing and the foam/plastic the is covering the inner cor off

4)now screw on the f connector.

if that makes no sense then have a look here
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

djnerve
13-07-2006, 21:33
ok i have done that and the dish is till in my window and ont he signal test i have

Signal strength - nothing
Signal Quality - Nothing
Lockdown indicator - not locked
Network id - 0000
Transport Stream - 0000

Nugget
13-07-2006, 21:35
Stupid question, but do you actually have a contract with Sky and, by extension, a viewing card? If not, would that explain why there's no signal?

djnerve
13-07-2006, 21:37
its my gfs box shes brought round and with the viewing card. i was told it would still work

MadGamer
13-07-2006, 21:41
If you dont have a contract with Sky at your address, the box will not recieve a signal.

Nugget
13-07-2006, 21:41
its my gfs box shes brought round and with the viewing card. i was told it would still work

Oh, I'm not saying that it wouldn't, just trying to think of a reason :)

Could just be that you're not getting the alignment of the dish right :shrug:

djnerve
13-07-2006, 21:42
i did get a signal strength then a network id and the other 1. but seem to of lost it lol. i shoudls till beable to use t for freeview anyway so it shud pick up a signal

Nugget
13-07-2006, 21:43
If you dont have a contract with Sky at your address, the box will not recieve a signal.

Well, technically, you used to be able to, as there were enough people out there who were recieving Sky without having Sky. Having said that, they may well have clamped down on that :)

iain_herts
13-07-2006, 21:43
hi it will work but the dish needs to be faceing the right way and be set up at the right angle of around 25 degree's on the dish there will be scales.

but it will be hard to get a signal the way u are doing it as the reading's that the stb shows are not the best for lineing up a dish plus there is a slight time delay on the reading's u will need a sat finder to get a prober decent signal

Nugget
13-07-2006, 21:44
i did get a signal strength then a network id and the other 1. but seem to of lost it lol. i shoudls till beable to use t for freeview anyway so it shud pick up a signal

As I understand it, you'd need a FreeSat card from Sky for the free to air channels :)

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

hi it will work but the dish needs to be faceing the right way and be set up at the right angle of around 25 degree's on the dish there will be scales.

but it will be hard to get a signal the way u are doing it u will need a sat finder

Blimey, I was right when I said about the alignment :D

iain_herts
13-07-2006, 21:48
yeap u was u only have to move a dish 1cm either way and u will loss signal there is very little leway.

also if u are up north u may have the wrong dish aswell as we have 2 dish's a zone 1 and a zone 2

zone 2 is a 60cm dish for up north as the signal will be weaker up there

djnerve
13-07-2006, 22:22
i have zone 1. its frustrating cos i had it in my hand when ihad a signal and when i put it in window i get naff all. just reseting the box and try agian.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:52 ----------

right i did have a signal cant find it now. i can see absoloutly everyboyds faces the same way. i have done this to find no signal grr does the wiring have to be spot on?

---------- Post added at 22:22 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

also their is numbers on the lmb what should it be on? im inwest yrkshire

djnerve
14-07-2006, 10:36
Got it sorted now tis perfect