PDA

View Full Version : Fooling a Sky STB

djnerve
13-07-2006, 13:19
Hii again!

ive baught a sky dish today which will be up tonight. now my original plan was to buy a second hand STB for when my girlfriend sleeps over she can bring her sky card. (as im on telewest) but i recently discoverd you can't do that so shes haing to bring her box with her. is their anyway i can re programe a box to make it think its her box? like does it work on the serial code? because then all she would have to bring is her viewing card.

i really need help on this.

Thanks again:angel:

Hugh
13-07-2006, 13:24
:erm: this will probably get deleted, as the forum doesn't encourage illegal activities (unless they involve fluffy animals ;) )

djnerve
13-07-2006, 13:26
o. i wasnt aware that this would be illegal :) sorry il deleat it myself if i can

MovedGoalPosts
13-07-2006, 13:40
I beleive Sky do have protection in place that will match a card to the STB, and in turn the STB often needs to be in it's home address for the phone line verification.

As indicated above, we do not allow discussion of methods of bypassing security systems. If you want services you should obtain them legitimately. Further discussion of any such methods will see the thread closed.

Jules
13-07-2006, 14:54
Get her to watch Telewest instead :)

ian@huth
13-07-2006, 15:13
Have a look at http://www.wickonline.com/fta.htm which shows the range of channels that you can watch without a Sky viewing card. You can get a Freesat card from Sky for £20 which extends the list to include those marked as Free to View on the list. If you put her card in the box you should be able to watch all channels that her card allows except the premium movies and sports channels.

Stuart
13-07-2006, 15:52
ian, he's on Telewest....

orangebird
13-07-2006, 16:07
Yeah, but he's gettng a dish put in tonight, so it might work, no? :confused:

djnerve
13-07-2006, 17:18
got my dish haha now to peice it together hmm

sakiblateef
14-07-2006, 21:28
M8, it is possible if you have a Dragon cam and a European satellite receiver such as a Dreambox or Technomate. If know the serial code of the box its matched with you can use your card to watch the channels you pay for.

UncleBooBoo
14-07-2006, 22:56
A sky digital viewing card is paired to a box via it's serial number. You can take the card out and place it in another box and it will work but you will not get access to premium channels such as movies and sports. I will point out this is not illegal activity and sky will allow you to do this they will even pair the card to the box for you if you ask them to! (sky will not pair your viewing card to different boxes every 5 mins though!)

However, you can take the original sky box that the card is paired to with you as long as you are not required to keep it connected to a working phone line that it was originally installed on.

As long as it's outside it's 12 months contract or if you paid sky the £25 opt out fee you can take the box anywhere in the uk as long as it's being used by the person who is the subscriber!

If you have multi room then you cannot remove any of the hardware from it's original installation place and all boxes must remain connected to the phone line they have been registered against!

ian@huth
15-07-2006, 00:00
:LOL: Wake up, he is asking about reception of Sky on a Sky digibox not his Telewest service.

djnerve
16-07-2006, 15:57
If you have multi room then you cannot remove any of the hardware from it's original installation place and all boxes must remain connected to the phone line they have been registered against!

my girlfriend has sky multiroom and it was her box we used at my house it worked perfect with no phone line. was thinking of getting them to have it in anougther room and them take it to mine. saves £5 a month

iain_herts
16-07-2006, 16:14
my girlfriend has sky multiroom and it was her box we used at my house it worked perfect with no phone line. was thinking of getting them to have it in anougther room and them take it to mine. saves £5 a month

right by doing what u are doing is breaking sky's t & c's. with multi room EACH box WILL call back to sky at least once a month but u wont now wen it will do it they change the date all the time.

The first time it fails to do a call back u will get a letter. the second time they will send a letter and also may take further action. the third time you will be billed for BOTH box's at the FULL subcription price

djnerve
16-07-2006, 16:35
ok ian. still works :) and as i said on msn we havnt had no letters in a year. End of topic

UncleBooBoo
16-07-2006, 20:56
ok ian. still works :) and as i said on msn we havnt had no letters in a year. End of topic

You will! :p:

Just a matter of when! :D

jamiecruickshank
21-08-2006, 21:47
Hi recently oneof my friends had sky in there house and changed to telewest, they had another 3 boxes on the line withought the use the cards just for free to view. My friend has given me all 4 boxes with 1 Paired card and 3 Unpaired boxes which i have just bought 3 cards for. Will Sky allow me to pair the cards to the boxes with the cards EVEN though i dont have a subscription with sky, i am with telewest.
Regards
Jamie Cruickshank

GEMMAS32
25-08-2006, 13:48
Hi recently oneof my friends had sky in there house and changed to telewest, they had another 3 boxes on the line withought the use the cards just for free to view. My friend has given me all 4 boxes with 1 Paired card and 3 Unpaired boxes which i have just bought 3 cards for. Will Sky allow me to pair the cards to the boxes with the cards EVEN though i dont have a subscription with sky, i am with telewest.
Regards
Jamie Cruickshank

i dont know call them to find out

djnerve
26-08-2006, 19:11
i think they will only pair them if you take out a subscripton

RealDiamond
27-08-2006, 11:14
sky have to give any one in the uk with a dish and box the free channels but to stop europeans watching free BBC1 they were encrypted, some still are. but the discount you got on the orignal price and install was payed for by the interactive company. if you install and purchase boxes with out this companys contract but dont take out a sky sub, sky can charge you for the card last time i checked it was £20 per card.