PDA

View Full Version : Attacked at work

homer
12-07-2006, 22:52
To All,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I need some advice.
I was attacked at work today by the one of the guys in our team he has lots of mentel problems the place of work knows about this problem and not done a thing about this.He has taken a lot of time off and also been in hospital for this.
I work for a school and feel this is not right also when he lost it today after been told that yet again he is to sit a hearing he went mad (again) and smashed up the office and then smacked me causing a cracked jaw and then he ran off to his car then he drove into my car causing damage.

I feel I should not work back shifts because of this and feel the school should pay for the damage for the car. there a lot more thats gone on with this guy and the school to long to type but this guy is very bad news...

any advice would be great

Homer

TheDaddy
12-07-2006, 22:57
I think I would have phoned the Police.

homer
12-07-2006, 23:00
Hi,

Sorry I forgot to mention that the police was called but yet to turn up and also I went to hospital.....

Homer

Creative
12-07-2006, 23:07
Master Jedi?
I'd be looking towards legal advice. No-one should have to put up with potential violence from colleagues. Where theres blame, theres a claim etc. Your work is responsible for your safety at work, you have a claim against them.

grandmaster
12-07-2006, 23:09
i agree you work has a duty of care for the saftey of all its staff.
contact the police again..

homer
12-07-2006, 23:10
thanks

all of this has being going on for about 9 months now until today

homer

cookie_365
12-07-2006, 23:16
http://www.worksmart.org.uk/health/viewsubsubsection.php?ssn=13

Good luck in getting this sorted homer

Creative
12-07-2006, 23:20
i agree you work has a duty of care for the saftey of all its staff.
contact the police again..

If you ever do a Health and Safety course, they tell you that you have a sense of duty towards your fellow workers, and towards your self. You cannot injure yourself deliberately, nothing you do should injure anyone else, and neither can your colleagues deliberately injure you.
If your work knew about previous issues with this person, then I'd say they are in the brown gooey stuff!
Go see a solicitor, don't feel guilty, your company hasn't looked after you as they are legally obliged.

TheDaddy
12-07-2006, 23:27
Make sure you get photo's of your car and any injuries you have, keep the doctors report and x- rays to.

MovedGoalPosts
12-07-2006, 23:35
You work at a school, and they employ someone that unstable :Yikes:

daz300
12-07-2006, 23:49
Master Jedi?
I'd be looking towards legal advice. No-one should have to put up with potential violence from colleagues. Where theres blame, theres a claim etc. Your work is responsible for your safety at work, you have a claim against them.

yep . this i what i would do if i was you .

cookie_365
12-07-2006, 23:52

OP didn't say that they were prone to violence, just that they had 'mental problems'.

Please don't assume that anyone with mental health problems is prone to violence.

Might be worth contacting the HSE though.

TheDaddy
12-07-2006, 23:55
OP didn't say that they were prone to violence, just that they had 'mental problems'.

Please don't assume that anyone with mental health problems is prone to violence.

He did say 'he went mad and smashed up the office again' though.

MovedGoalPosts
13-07-2006, 00:00

I certainly don't assume that mental health issues = violence. I am aware of that from family experience. But when you read the original post it's clear that the person involved does have violent tendencies - caused injury, damaged offices and cars. Sorry but there has to be an issue here as to why a school, which is supposed to be protecting pupils, has someone like that on the premises.

cookie_365
13-07-2006, 00:15
He did say 'he went mad and smashed up the office again' though.

Oops - missed the 'again' in the original post

In which case - the school could be in deep, deep trouble with the HSE :erm:

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:12 ----------

... But when you read the original post it's clear that the person involved does have violent tendencies - caused injury, damaged offices and cars.

On second reading, err, you're right and I'm wrong :dunce:

My PC screen must be playing up, not displaying text properly ... :blush:

Go on, say it, cookie's a divvy .... ;)

Stuart
13-07-2006, 12:07
I can think of a couple of times where someone at work has been attacked by a fellow member of staff. Both times, the attacker in question was asked to leave and not come back. In one case, he wasn't sacked as such, as he was still in his (ironically named) probationary period, so he was told he wouldn't complete it. However, in that case, he did actually smash a glass and shove it in someone else's face, and the victim did bring charges..

Anyway, back to the original post. I would have thought the school concerned would not consider employing a potentially violent person, if only to protect the pupils?

smicer07
13-07-2006, 12:10
A school should never employ someone so volatile, why haven't they sacked him already? Sounds a bit fishy to me... Also, why has it taken you so long to do something about it? 9 months???

Shaun
13-07-2006, 12:41
The OP mentions about "back shift" I'm asuming thats afternoon till late evening - wonder what role they have :scratch:

Maggy
13-07-2006, 13:12
I'm guessing someone hasn't checked on the CBR provided on this person..Schools are still not doing enough about this I believe. :(

smicer07
13-07-2006, 13:19
CRB you mean? I think most schools are very strict on it to be honest. Whenever I have applied for a position they have always been very firm on needing a CRB, the same applies when registering for an agency or local council.

AndrewJ
13-07-2006, 13:21
I would press charges and sue for damages.

Maggy
13-07-2006, 13:27
CRB you mean? I think most schools are very strict on it to be honest. Whenever I have applied for a position they have always been very firm on needing a CRB, the same applies when registering for an agency or local council.

Doesn't mean they get to see it though...or to keep it on record.Apparently they are not 'required' to do so and a lot of schools don't bother.

AndrewJ
13-07-2006, 13:28
Doesn't mean they get to see it though...or to keep it on record.Apparently they are not 'required' to do so and a lot of schools don't bother.

Makes you think about the safety of your children at school though doesn't it.

Jules
13-07-2006, 14:17
I would press charges and sue for damages.

I agree, this is a ridiculous situation!

smicer07
13-07-2006, 15:21

Am pretty sure they are legally required to now.

orangebird
13-07-2006, 15:28
Am pretty sure they are legally required to now.
Yes, they are mandatory now - linky (http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/familyandcommunity/childprotection/mandatorycrbchecks/), but I still can't believe that this has only been so since May this year!!!! :eeek: Was nothing learned for Hollie & Jessicas tragic case? :rolleyes:

Maggy
13-07-2006, 16:24
Am pretty sure they are legally required to now. Yes, they are mandatory now - linky (http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/wholeschool/familyandcommunity/childprotection/mandatorycrbchecks/), but I still can't believe that this has only been so since May this year!!!! :eeek: Was nothing learned for Hollie & Jessicas tragic case? :rolleyes:

About time!

smicer07
13-07-2006, 17:09
Didn't realise it only started in May. However, these people will commit acts whatever we do to try and stop them, sadly. A CRB check won't stop a child being molested in the street.

Maggy
13-07-2006, 17:12
Didn't realise it only started in May. However, these people will commit acts whatever we do to try and stop them, sadly. A CRB check won't stop a child being molested in the street.

Maybe not but it should protect them in school.However I'm concerned that none of this persons difficulties were not known about by the school BEFORE they were employed.Makes a nonsense of having checks IF they knew and ignored it.

homer
14-07-2006, 09:54
Hi ALL,

Thanks for all of your replies HERE IS THE UPDATE

I have been to hospital again for another xray and it has been comfirmed that I do have a cracked jaw and the police have taken a statement from me and other members of staff.
I have had a meeting with the head of the school and she said that the preson will be sacked and she is very sorry and she will pay for the damage to the car but it does depend on how much and is the car worth it ???????
(cheek) thats all the news I have got apart from that I am going to the docs today to get signed off I am in a lot of pain and can't sleep.

Many thanks for the help

Homer

Creative
14-07-2006, 20:39
Hi ALL,

Thanks for all of your replies HERE IS THE UPDATE

I have been to hospital again for another xray and it has been comfirmed that I do have a cracked jaw and the police have taken a statement from me and other members of staff.
I have had a meeting with the head of the school and she said that the preson will be sacked and she is very sorry and she will pay for the damage to the car but it does depend on how much and is the car worth it ???????
(cheek) thats all the news I have got apart from that I am going to the docs today to get signed off I am in a lot of pain and can't sleep.

Many thanks for the help

Homer

Please tell me you have been to a solicitor.
The school is repsonsible for you and has a responsibility to look after you. They have failed in that responsibility. They should have insurance to cover this type of thing, you won't be taking money from the kids.

Jules
14-07-2006, 20:47
I agree with the above get a solicitor

lauzjp
15-07-2006, 05:26
http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/
http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

homer
15-07-2006, 07:59
Hi to all,

I have been to see a solicitor yesterday and they said they can't belive on what I was saying about this in a school however they said I do have a case and they will take this on for me.
Also I went to the garage about my car and they said because the age of the car it will be a write off so I will be claiming for this aswell.....

Homer

ps What a carry on

Escapee
15-07-2006, 11:30
Hi to all,

I have been to see a solicitor yesterday and they said they can't belive on what I was saying about this in a school however they said I do have a case and they will take this on for me.
Also I went to the garage about my car and they said because the age of the car it will be a write off so I will be claiming for this aswell.....

Homer

ps What a carry on

Perhaps I should say you are a better man than me, although my view is meet fire with fire.

I couldn't stand back, let someone assault me and then smash my car without 'defending' myself. I know that someone who is mentally unstable can be a big handfull, so I could understand the cause for concern. I was once attacked by someone high on drugs, and I was so surprised how strong ther person was and how many times they kept getting back up off the floor.

If you are attacked in the workplace in the manner and circumstances that you were, there is no way that the employer or police could look unfavourably on you defending yourself.

homer
24-07-2006, 09:31
Hi All,

Update I still have a cracked jaw and its still hurts and my car is written off with damages mounting to £800.
Police are charging him ABH, Crim/damage and the school well ???? not telling me a thing on what is going on like is the person being sacked ??....
I have spoken to injury 4 u lawyers and they say I may have a case the school should of looked after my welfare but failed to do this......

Hopefully I can claim for my car and my jaw ??????

Homer

Graham M
24-07-2006, 09:43
Good luck Homer! Sounds like you have a good case.

Jules
24-07-2006, 17:01
If he doesn't get sacked then you should go to the education authority and make a complaint!

ADd
24-07-2006, 19:21
Hi All,

Update I still have a cracked jaw and its still hurts and my car is written off with damages mounting to £800.
Police are charging him ABH, Crim/damage and the school well ???? not telling me a thing on what is going on like is the person being sacked ??....
I have spoken to injury 4 u lawyers and they say I may have a case the school should of looked after my welfare but failed to do this......

Hopefully I can claim for my car and my jaw ??????

Homer
Hi Homer, you might be better finding a private solicitor. From what I've heard companies like Injury Lawyers 4 you will generally only take cases they can win. The 'cut' they will take may well be more than a private firm - indeed your settlement may be alot better with a well experienced private solicitors firm.

I must admit I have no personal experience, but I have drawn from experiences of colleagues and friends.

LostintheNW
24-07-2006, 22:12
watch out for injury lawyers 4 u they claim u get all the damages but more often than not u dont. If you have a case (which you do and you do have one against the school as they owe you a duty of care in your employment environment and are in breach of the H&S Regs if they dont!) they will take it on and your fees will be paid when you win by the losing party. The school cannot win this one as you have evidence as whats been going on, proof of whats happened etc

Take them to the cleaners!