PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter jugs.

Maggy
12-07-2006, 15:07
Which one would those of you who use these recommend? :)

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 15:09
My parents always use Brita filter jugs - they are very good. :) Personally, I don't drink much tap water - get bottled. :)

danielf
12-07-2006, 15:09
I find that size is always a consideration when it comes to jugs.

I know nothing about water filters though :D

TheBlueRaja
12-07-2006, 15:20
I use the Britta one, Woolies had them on sale two weeks ago down from 15 quid to a tenner, I'd get in there and have a look if i were you.

Worth it too i'd say.

Maggy
12-07-2006, 15:23
My parents always use Brita filter jugs - they are very good. :) Personally, I don't drink much tap water - get bottled. :)

I was doing that but now everyone else in the family has got onto the water kick and frankly it's getting blooming expensive never mind the recycling of the bottles.;)

Scrubbs
12-07-2006, 15:24
we used to have one of those till I "accidently" forgot to put a filter in and no one noticed :p:
The difference in taste from tap water was, a jug of water in the fridge gasses off the slight chlorine taste you get straight from the tap and a filter jug does the same thing. Both taste the same:)

so You are better filling a jug of water and sticking it inthe fridge

homealone
12-07-2006, 15:25
Just to point out that water 'filter' jugs usually increase the sodium content of the water, so it musn't be given to babies, and anyone with high blood pressure should be aware it contributes to their overall 'salt' intake.

TBH they are all similar in operation, so any that look reasonable with cheap refills should be ok :)

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 15:25
I was doing that but now everyone else in the family has got onto the water kick and frankly it's getting blooming expensive never mind the recycling of the bottles.;)

I can imagine. It's ok for me cos it's just me! But i'd definately recommend the Brita water filter jugs. They are very good. :)

TheBlueRaja
12-07-2006, 15:32
Just to point out that water 'filter' jugs usually increase the sodium content of the water, so it musn't be given to babies, and anyone with high blood pressure should be aware it contributes to their overall 'salt' intake.

TBH they are all similar in operation, so any that look reasonable with cheap refills should be ok :)

Whaaaat! Your having a laff aint ya! :Yikes:

Screw this health crap there's always something you dont know about that makes it just as bad as what you were eating before.

Im back on the chip butties.

Edit - Just found this on the Brita website:-

# What is the difference between a water softener and a water filter?
Water softeners are usually plumbed into the mains water system and are used to remove temporary hardness from the water to prevent limescale build up in household appliances such as washing machines. Water softeners do use a form of ion exchange resin but this is regenerated in the household using common salt (sodium chloride). In this way the calcium ions in the temporary hardness are replaced with sodium ions, thereby increasing the sodium content of the water. Due to the increased sodium it is not recommended that sodium softened water is used for drinking, cooking or food preparation. A separate tap with untreated water should be provided.

Which seems to suggest that Water Filters are Ok, but water softners are not!

homealone
12-07-2006, 15:51

Screw this health crap there's always something you dont know about that makes it just as bad as what you were eating before.

Water softeners are usually plumbed into the mains water system and are used to remove temporary hardness from the water to prevent limescale build up in household appliances such as washing machines. Water softeners do use a form of ion exchange resin but this is regenerated in the household using common salt (sodium chloride). In this way the calcium ions in the temporary hardness are replaced with sodium ions, thereby increasing the sodium content of the water. Due to the increased sodium it is not recommended that sodium softened water is used for drinking, cooking or food preparation. A separate tap with untreated water should be provided.

don't know about the Brita ones, in particular, but a lot of jug 'filters' use ion exchange resins in the cartridge, afaik the main difference between them & the plumbed in ones is that you replace the cartridge, when it is saturated, rather than regenerating it??

- as for the 'health kick', there is some evidence to suggest that soft water makes people more subsceptible to heart disease, so it isn't just the deep fried mars bars, or chip butties ;)

Skatoony
12-07-2006, 16:01
My parents did have a Brita one, but they got a bit fed up of the prices for the filters, so they got rid of it.

Scarlett
12-07-2006, 16:26
We use a brita one and you can always wait until the local supermarket does an offer on cartrages and stoke up. (we have about 9 months worth at the moment and there is bound to be another offer on soon.

Certainly if you want one then I'd wait until the offers come around in you local shop.

Florence
12-07-2006, 16:31
I threw my brita one away after buying a water filtering system fromn B&Q was expensive and takes up some cupboard space but works out cheaper in the end and the water tastes great. you have a thrid tap at your sink that is the drinking water so fresh cool filtered water on tap..

Maggy
12-07-2006, 16:45

don't know about the Brita ones, in particular, but a lot of jug 'filters' use ion exchange resins in the cartridge, afaik the main difference between them & the plumbed in ones is that you replace the cartridge, when it is saturated, rather than regenerating it??

- as for the 'health kick', there is some evidence to suggest that soft water makes people more subsceptible to heart disease, so it isn't just the deep fried mars bars, or chip butties ;)

Hmm! So I should be looking for a filter that doesn't increase the sodium content?

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-07-2006, 17:05
this is my water filter ;)
http://www.whirlpool.co.uk/app.cnt/whr/en_GB/pageid/pgproddtl001/catid/2/subcatid/6/prodid/563

Ramrod
12-07-2006, 17:21
I was doing that but now everyone else in the family has got onto the water kick and frankly it's getting blooming expensive never mind the recycling of the bottles.;)Netto sells cheap bottled water. We also use britta water filters.....our jug is about 15 years old and still going strong.....

Maggy
12-07-2006, 17:35
this is my water filter ;)
http://www.whirlpool.co.uk/app.cnt/whr/en_GB/pageid/pgproddtl001/catid/2/subcatid/6/prodid/563

It would be cheaper to keep buying the bottled water.:erm:

Jules
12-07-2006, 17:39
Move to Yorkshire the water from the tap is spot on, no need for filter jugs :)

Gareth
12-07-2006, 17:40
Use a Brita one here too... it's got some little digital display on the lid that tells you when you're supposed to replace the cartridge, think it's every month, but don't think we replace it quite that often.

How often do people replace their cartridges?

bmxbandit
12-07-2006, 17:41
The difference in taste from tap water was, a jug of water in the fridge gasses off the slight chlorine taste you get straight from the tap and a filter jug does the same thing. Both taste the same:)

so You are better filling a jug of water and sticking it inthe fridge
i'd totally agree with this - and i'd be much happier with the quality of tap water than bottled water.

what precisely do you want to filter out? a filter jug isn't going to be a much finer filter than than a GAC gravity filter (for example) at the local water treatment works, and if they're moved on to membranes yet it's probably significantly worse... ;)

TheBlueRaja
12-07-2006, 17:44
i'd totally agree with this - and i'd be much happier with the quality of tap water than bottled water.

what precisely do you want to filter out? a filter jug isn't going to be a much finer filter than than a GAC gravity filter (for example) at the local water treatment works, and if they're moved on to membranes yet it's probably significantly worse... ;)

To be honest i used to think exactly this, i used to live in a town in Central Scotland and the water was as good as anything Highland Spring would give you.

Then i moved to Glasgow - ewwwwww! The water tastes completly different and quite frankly is dire.

The filter makes a difference.

cuggle
12-07-2006, 18:18
got a Brita fridge door jug with the digital display, we don`t usually change it every 30 days as it states but maybe 45-50 days and it`s fine

Maggy
12-07-2006, 18:23
All I know is that I used to like our water.Then about a couple of years ago I kept getting an eggy smell in the mornings and the water started tasting foul.That was when I stopped drinking it straight from the tap(except to brush my teeth).I'm sure it's safe, it just doesn't taste nice.Believe me there IS a difference between bottled water and tap water for flavour.

I've got very delicate taste buds-which has driven my family mad for years because if I think summat tastes funny I won't drink or eat it no matter what.The amount of food I've thrown away because it tastes of the plastic packaging that it arrived in...:sick:

Scrubbs
12-07-2006, 18:34
All I know is that I used to like our water.Then about a couple of years ago I kept getting an eggy smell in the mornings and the water started tasting foul.That was when I stopped drinking it straight from the tap(except to brush my teeth).I'm sure it's safe, it just doesn't taste nice.Believe me there IS a difference between bottled water and tap water for flavour.

I've got very delicate taste buds-which has driven my family mad for years because if I think summat tastes funny I won't drink or eat it no matter what.The amount of food I've thrown away because it tastes of the plastic packaging that it arrived in...:sick:

Just try putting a jug of tap water in the fridge for a couple of hours(overnight) see what it taste's like :)

homealone
12-07-2006, 18:45
Hmm! So I should be looking for a filter that doesn't increase the sodium content?

Hard to say, if you are prone to hypertension it is one source of sodium that can be avoided.

As far as I can tell there are two 'main' types. Ones that just have an active carbon filter & possibly silver particles are designed to remove particulate matter, reduce the number of bacteria & neutralise any nasty tastes or odours.

The second type have the same as the above, but have an ion exchange resin, for removing 'hardness', as well - which it does by swapping the calcium ions in the hard water, for sodium ions, which don't deposit as limescale, like the calcium ones do.

Incidentally, it is worth checking the sodium content of bottled water, especially 'mineral' water, as that can have high sodium compared to tap water ;)

(can you tell I have high blood pressure :D )

Maggy
12-07-2006, 20:06
Hard to say, if you are prone to hypertension it is one source of sodium that can be avoided.

As far as I can tell there are two 'main' types. Ones that just have an active carbon filter & possibly silver particles are designed to remove particulate matter, reduce the number of bacteria & neutralise any nasty tastes or odours.

The second type have the same as the above, but have an ion exchange resin, for removing 'hardness', as well - which it does by swapping the calcium ions in the hard water, for sodium ions, which don't deposit as limescale, like the calcium ones do.

Incidentally, it is worth checking the sodium content of bottled water, especially 'mineral' water, as that can have high sodium compared to tap water ;)

(can you tell I have high blood pressure :D )

Actually I don't mind drinking hard water.It's the taste that's been getting me down.It used to be nice drinking water that had been filtered through Portsdown Hill..but someone has done summat to it lately.Probably fixed a water leak. ;)

Maggy
14-07-2006, 20:49
Well I took the plunge............................................ ..............

sorry I couldn't resist. ;)

I got a Brita in the end.I was looking at the Kenwoods and the special offer of a years filter replacements but of course Argos didn't have any of those in stock. :rolleyes:

Never mind I already got the benefit of not dragging home bottles of water with the weekly shop.Now my son has finally given up on fizzy drinks I'm not toting home any bottles at all. :tu:

Pug205Tim
15-07-2006, 19:43
I cant drink tap water as i'm allergic to chlorine! (probably the only person in the uk that is! :( ) But the Brita filter's are a rip off, just boil your water then stick it straight in the fridge if you can get away with it. I used to do this and it kills off most of the chlorine and crap!

Florence
15-07-2006, 19:59
This is my water fiter

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=7450053&fh_search=water+filter&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1152989854065

kronas
15-07-2006, 20:27
i just drink volvic :D

DaggaDagga
15-07-2006, 20:30
Anyone know of any info on sodium and filter jugs? I've tried some googling, but didn't see anything.

I've recently got high blood pressure. I'd never thought about the filter jug we use. I knew the built-in filters use salt to regenerate them, but I didn't think the same applied to jug filters.

Maggy
15-07-2006, 21:28
I cant drink tap water as i'm allergic to chlorine! (probably the only person in the uk that is! :( ) But the Brita filter's are a rip off, just boil your water then stick it straight in the fridge if you can get away with it. I used to do this and it kills off most of the chlorine and crap!

Unfortunately after a childhood of drinking boiled water in Nigeria I can assure you that it has a flat taste that if compared to filtered water I'll stick with the filtered water.Of course if whatever changes they instituted with my tap water are reversed I'll gladly go back to tap water drawn fresh.:tu:

Anyway I'm sure you are not the only person allergic to chlorine.It's just that not everyone is as sensitive as you are but I bet there are some who are...Have you ever investigated on the net? :erm:

paul11974
15-07-2006, 22:25
www.powwowwater.com £9 for 18.5 ltrs

AndrewJ
15-07-2006, 22:49
I just buy Volvic myself it is good enough and the bottles are handy for if your taking a day trip somewhere and drinks are £70p for a can of cola .:D

Maggy
15-07-2006, 22:56
Sigh! :(

I wanted to give up buying bottled water because,

A) It was getting expensive with all of us drinking bottled water.
B)The bringing back of so much bottled water in my weekly shop was a pain.
C)The continual storing of the plactic bottles for recycling was becoming a chore in a very small house.Before recycling started last year here I was getting upset at the wastage of resources as well.

I have now bought the jug and I'm quite happy with the results thus far. :tu:

AndrewJ
15-07-2006, 23:08
I think I am not as bothered about it as we buy in bulk from Asda first week per month and come home in a taxi...just storing it really which is an issue.

andygrif
15-07-2006, 23:36

We've had a Brita one for years and it's been great (and kept the crunchy bits at the bottom of a cup of tea at bay).

But about 10 days ago the supermarket was out of stock of the genuine filter replacements, so I bought a Tesco's own brand one (which was also over a quid cheaper)

We've just thrown it away as it produced a bright green waterline mark around the inside of the jug. So I don't think we'll be buying one of those again. They may be cheaper, but bright green stuff in the water is not my idea of healthy.

homealone
16-07-2006, 00:17

We've had a Brita one for years and it's been great (and kept the crunchy bits at the bottom of a cup of tea at bay).

But about 10 days ago the supermarket was out of stock of the genuine filter replacements, so I bought a Tesco's own brand one (which was also over a quid cheaper)

We've just thrown it away as it produced a bright green waterline mark around the inside of the jug. So I don't think we'll be buying one of those again. They may be cheaper, but bright green stuff in the water is not my idea of healthy.

prolly lacks the silver particles which inhibit microbial growth, that the brita carts have ;)

paul11974
16-07-2006, 20:14
we used taps years ago

Tazfan
17-07-2006, 17:00
I have had a Brita one since October. Its gets filled at least twice daily, and its only one its 2nd filter. Its prime use is to prevent lime scale in the kettle. For that, it does and admirable job indeed. About 5 weeks ago, lime scale started to build up, so I descaled it, and replaced the filter. No more lime scale.
I also keep a spare jug of water, poured from the filter jug, in the fridge for cold drinks. There is a difference in taste and clarity, even when the filter has been in use for 6 or 7 months.
With the cost of replacement filters, I shall carry on waiting til lime scale shows in my kettle, as an indicator to change the filter. Whether that is right or wrong, it works for me perfectly.
I live on my own by the way, so its mainly only me using it.

Druchii
17-07-2006, 20:19
we used taps years ago
I still do, i can barely taste the difference.

What the deal with "Drinking Water Taps" anyway? I drink from a tap thats good enough to wash my hands from, not done me any harm yet (all jokes aside)

Maggy
17-07-2006, 20:29
we used taps years ago I still do, i can barely taste the difference.

What the deal with "Drinking Water Taps" anyway? I drink from a tap thats good enough to wash my hands from, not done me any harm yet (all jokes aside)

Then you are lucky.Not everyone is. :shrug:

paul11974
17-07-2006, 20:45
i heard that tap water is far safer than bottled water somewhere

Gareth
21-07-2006, 02:27
I cant drink tap water as i'm allergic to chlorine! (probably the only person in the uk that is! :( ) But the Brita filter's are a rip off, just boil your water then stick it straight in the fridge if you can get away with it. I used to do this and it kills off most of the chlorine and crap!Actually, you're not alone... my wife is allergic to chlorine and some other chemicals put in during the water treatment stages. It's so bad that she has to take antihistamine every day, or else she'll be ill. Even having a shower will cause her to have an allergic reaction if she's not taken any mediaction. Hope that's some comfort :)

---------- Post added at 02:27 ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 ----------

i heard that tap water is far safer than bottled water somewhereWell, the plastic bottles the water is stored in aren't very healthy... but a lot of houses still have lead pipes, which isn't particularly healthy either :erm:

NitroNutter
21-07-2006, 03:25
Being at the top of a hill we would get a higher chlorine content especially at certain times as it builds up, I installed a cheap B & Q inline filter to one of those small taps and we really havnt looked back, we drink a lot of tea and cordial and it just doesnt have any chlorine taste or odour anymore. We have to change the filters every 6-12 months and they handle far more than any jug does and its on tap, no waiting for 30 minutes for it to drain through a jug filter. A lot of the time tap water is undrinkable and drinking tap chlorine is not good for anyone as its a bit more than taking in a bit while in a swimming pool. The real issue with clorine in tap water is if you complain about excessive levels they take their time coming out by which it has disipated to a lower level at least.