PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! My Shower Won't Work!

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 13:11
Hi Guys, I don't know if any of you can help me but I have an electric shower and it doesn't seem to be working??? Have had no problems with it before, but, just went to go and use it and it's not working? I've pulled the 'cord' for the shower so it's to 'on' etc but the actual shower isn't working? No light is coming on (on the shower unit) and no water is coming out of shower head??? Please help! What do I do??? :erm::confused:

Nugget
12-07-2006, 13:13
Hi Guys, I don't know if any of you can help me but I have an electric shower and it doesn't seem to be working??? Have had no problems with it before, but, just went to go and use it and it's not working? I've pulled the 'cord' for the shower so it's to 'on' etc but the actual shower isn't working? No light is coming on (on the shower unit) and no water is coming out of shower head??? Please help! What do I do??? :erm::confused:

Have a bath? Or, failing that, just stink for a bit?

;) :disturbd:

Graham M
12-07-2006, 13:13
Turn it off and call an electrician (or an electrically minded friend) if you don't wanna touch it

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 13:16
Have a bath? Or, failing that, just stink for a bit?

;) :disturbd:

Haha! I don't have a bath in my bathroom.... Only shower!!!:mad:

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

Turn it off and call an electrician (or an electrically minded friend) if you don't wanna touch it

My landlady will go mad if I call an electrician etc. I'm going out with my boyfriend tonight - it'll never get fixed in time. :mad:

Creative
12-07-2006, 13:16
Electric Showers tend to have their own circuit from the Fuse board. You could check the breaker/fuse there.
But if you don't know how to then I'd get someone to have a look for you, elastictrickery is a dangerous beastie!

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 13:18
Electric Showers tend to have their own circuit from the Fuse board. You could check the breaker/fuse there.
But if you don't know how to then I'd get someone to have a look for you, elastictrickery is a dangerous beastie!

Wonderful!!! I HATE it when things get technical and way out of my depth!!! :erm:

danielf
12-07-2006, 13:24
My landlady will go mad if I call an electrician etc. I'm going out with my boyfriend tonight - it'll never get fixed in time. :mad:

Then you need to call the landlady. Also check the fuseboard to see if one of the fuses has blown. On modern boards you only have to flick a switch to restore power.

Creative
12-07-2006, 13:24
Do you know where the fuse board is? If so and if you have trips rather than wired fuses you may be able to see if one has tripped to the off position.
You could reset it, but before you do make sure its all turned off upstairs. Breakers usually trip for a reason though so there may well be a fault with the shower.

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 13:27
Then you need to call the landlady. Also check the fuseboard to see if one of the fuses has blown. On modern boards you only have to flick a switch to restore power.

That's the problem though, my landlady is in work til 7pm and I will be or should be sat in a restaurant with my boyfriend by then!

homealone
12-07-2006, 13:27
Wonderful!!! I HATE it when things get technical and way out of my depth!!! :erm:

checking a circuit breaker is quite easy, basically it is a switch that is capable of turning itself off. The on & off positions are clearly marked & all you need to do if it has 'tripped' is to switch it back to 'on' again. If that works, then great, if it trips again, though, there is something wrong & your landlady will need to splash (sorry ;) ) some cash :)

(like everyone else said, really ;) )

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 13:31
Do you know where the fuse board is? If so and if you have trips rather than wired fuses you may be able to see if one has tripped to the off position.
You could reset it, but before you do make sure its all turned off upstairs. Breakers usually trip for a reason though so there may well be a fault with the shower.

Yeah, I know where it is, can see it lovely, but can't reach the damn thing!!! Thats even stood on a chair!!!

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

checking a circuit breaker is quite easy, basically it is a switch that is capable of turning itself off. The on & off positions are clearly marked & all you need to do if it has 'tripped' is to switch it back to 'on' again. If that works, then great, if it trips again, though, there is something wrong & your landlady will need to splash (sorry ;) ) some cash :)

(like everyone else said, really ;) )

Hehe - nice pun! Just cannot reach the damn thing to even have a look at it properly! :(

Creative
12-07-2006, 13:32
Yeah, I know where it is, can see it lovely, but can't reach the damn thing!!! Thats even stood on a chair!!!

Are the 'fuses' a breaker type? One should have the switch in a different position if one has tripped.

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 13:38
Are the 'fuses' a breaker type? One should have the switch in a different position if one has tripped.

It's got a 'see-through' case over the switches, and one is in a different position but as I said I cannot reach it! God, I hate being so short!!!!

homealone
12-07-2006, 13:43

It's got a 'see-through' case over the switches, and one is in a different position but as I said I cannot reach it! God, I hate being so short!!!!

do you have a wooden stick you could use?

Creative
12-07-2006, 13:45
do you have a wooden stick you could use?

But make sure the shower is off upstairs. There may be a flash otherwise, as the showers tend to be a bit current hungry!
Like I said already though, theres likely something wrong with the shower to make it trip.

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 13:49
But make sure the shower is off upstairs. There may be a flash otherwise, as the showers tend to be a bit current hungry!
Like I said already though, theres likely something wrong with the shower to make it trip.

Thanks for all your help guys, I think i'm going to have to leave this one for the landlady!! Nothing I can do, and I don't want to risk anything! Thanks though!

etccarmageddon
12-07-2006, 14:09
I recon the element is probably burned out - just like in an old style kettle there's a lecky element that heats the water. perhaps the water has scaled it. the best solution is to go to your local baths! or use Russ's shower.

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 14:12
I recon the element is probably burned out - just like in an old style kettle there's a lecky element that heats the water. perhaps the water has scaled it. the best solution is to go to your local baths! or use Russ's shower.

Probably the case.

TheNorm
12-07-2006, 14:18
Go have a swim, followed by a shower. I've done that in the past if I'm going out straight from work.

Creative
12-07-2006, 14:19

The water would still pass through the shower if the element had gone. The lights would also come on on the shower.

SarahLouise does the pull cord have a red neon as part of the switch and does it come on if it does?

Orior
12-07-2006, 14:31
1) You might have the wrong fuse in your switch, which blows the shower unit. Make sure you get the right switch for you shower.

2) Have a shower at the nearest leisure centre

3) Come around and use my shower

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 14:42
The water would still pass through the shower if the element had gone. The lights would also come on on the shower.

SarahLouise does the pull cord have a red neon as part of the switch and does it come on if it does?

Yes, the red light does come on when i pull the cord, but the red light on the shower unit does not!!!

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

3) Come around and use my shower

Are you flirting with me?! :erm::angel:

Salu
12-07-2006, 14:49
Yes, the red light does come on when i pull the cord, but the red light on the shower unit does not!!!

That means it can't be the fuse box then as power is getting to the switch. It must be the shower or your water pressure. Presumably you can get water elsewhere in the house?

Maybe the shower has a fuse too?

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 14:51
That means it can't be the fuse box then as power is getting to the switch. It must be the shower or your water pressure. Presumably you can get water elsewhere in the house?

Yeah, water in rest of the house is fine. No problems. Never had a problem with the shower when I used it yesterday???? It's such a pain. The fuse for the shower seems to be on the main fuse box from what I can see?!

Creative
12-07-2006, 14:53

Yep, that rules out the fusebox!
SarahLouise, do you turn the shower on and off using the pull cord usually, or do you turn it on and off using switch/dial on the shower?

Acathla
12-07-2006, 15:01
stinky! I can smell you from here :)

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 15:04
Yep, that rules out the fusebox!
SarahLouise, do you turn the shower on and off using the pull cord usually, or do you turn it on and off using switch/dial on the shower?

Switch shower off with the dial on the shower unit and then with the pull cord. And thus the other way round when I use the shower.

---------- Post added at 15:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

stinky! I can smell you from here :)

Oi!!! That's nasty! :bigcry:

Acathla
12-07-2006, 15:25
Oi!!! That's nasty! :bigcry:

aww i didnt mean it :hugs:

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 15:28
aww i didnt mean it :hugs:

Ok lol - you are forgiven hehe!!! ;)

Scrubbs
12-07-2006, 15:30
Try running the shower on cold ie no heating first to see if it is a water supply problem it could be furred up or blocked or the valve is broken if it is low pressure it won't work on hot but should work on cold

gooner4life
12-07-2006, 15:36
if you're so little fill up the sink and have a bath :-P

sarahlouise45
12-07-2006, 16:05
if you're so little fill up the sink and have a bath :-P

I'm not THAT little hehe ;)

budwieser
12-07-2006, 18:44

I`ll come and wash you down..:naughty:

gooner4life
12-07-2006, 18:47
I'm not THAT little hehe ;)

Only one thing for it then, a group of us will have to dress as firemen and come and hose you down in the garden.

Jules
12-07-2006, 18:52
You have to give them 8/10 for effort don't you :rofl:

Scrubbs
12-07-2006, 18:54
That's the problem though, my landlady is in work til 7pm and I will be or should be sat in a restaurant with my boyfriend by then!

better get a move on your going to be late :)

SnoopZ
12-07-2006, 19:19
I`ll come and wash you down..:naughty:

Pick me up on the way mate. I'll bring the jetwash. :D

MovedGoalPosts
12-07-2006, 19:42
Only one thing for it then, a group of us will have to dress as firemen and come and hose you down in the garden.

No hosepipe ban then ;)

Enuff
12-07-2006, 19:48
Pick me up on the way mate. I'll bring the jetwash. :D
Pick me up too... I'll bring the head & shoulders! :tu:

Hugh
12-07-2006, 19:49
Pick me up too... I'll bring the head & shoulders! :tu:

Bagsy me the sponge ;)

SnoopZ
12-07-2006, 19:54
I'll hire a mini bus guys. :D

Sarah can we sleep over at your place please? ;)

Gareth
12-07-2006, 19:56
Just use some Shower-in-a-Can® and see how much your boyfriend really loves you.

budwieser
13-07-2006, 00:04
Bagsy me the sponge ;)

Bagsy me the Head! :nono: :naughty: Lol!

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 00:14
Oh My God!!!! Didn't know I was that popular?!?!?! ;)

danielf
13-07-2006, 00:21

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there. A lot of people on here are really, really desparate...

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 00:27
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick there. A lot of people on here are really, really desparate...

Well yes, there is that of course!!! ;)

Millay
13-07-2006, 00:40

I would have said really desperate... :D

Ok in six months time (which is when my shower should die) I will post a similar thread.... see how many response I get :D

Ok.. im a trouble maker...

Enuff
13-07-2006, 00:44
I prefer a nice, long, deep, hot, steaming bath... I've fell out of a couple of showers in the past. :naughty:

dd2k
13-07-2006, 00:46
that or they're all just really hygenic people and cant bare the fact of u being without a shower of some sort :soapbox:

Acathla
13-07-2006, 01:17
:Yikes:

WHo would have thought a simple 'HELP!!! My Shower Won't Work!' would get so many proposals!

:redcard:

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 01:28
:Yikes:

WHo would have thought a simple 'HELP!!! My Shower Won't Work!' would get so many proposals!

:redcard:

I know!!! I was quite shocked when i got back in from my lovely evening out! Still, got over the shower problemo! Went to a mates and borrowed theirs!!! :)

Acathla
13-07-2006, 02:33
you must think why pay for water and electricity/gas when I can just go to my mates to get clean :)

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 13:46
you must think why pay for water and electricity/gas when I can just go to my mates to get clean :)

Yeah but I think she'd get a bit annoyed with me if I was round there every day using her shower!!! :erm:

orangebird
13-07-2006, 13:54
Yeah but I think she'd get a bit annoyed with me if I was round there every day using her shower!!! :erm:
If your house is rented, get your landlady to sort it out - that's part and parcel of what you're paying her for.

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 13:56
If your house is rented, get your landlady to sort it out - that's part and parcel of what you're paying her for.

Oh, I am, I've just got to 'wait' for when 'she' can come round with her husband to fix it!!!:mad:

orangebird
13-07-2006, 13:57
Oh, I am, I've just got to 'wait' for when 'she' can come round with her husband to fix it!!!:mad:

Then maybe thye can 'wait' for the rent... ;) And also, unless her husband is a certifcated electrician, they need to get and electrician in.

sarahlouise45
13-07-2006, 14:04
Then maybe thye can 'wait' for the rent... ;) And also, unless her husband is a certifcated electrician, they need to get and electrician in.

Very true....although rent has already been paid this month. :(

MovedGoalPosts
18-07-2006, 19:04
:bump:

So did this get fixed, or are your neighbour's complaining about the pong ;)

Hugh
18-07-2006, 19:07
:bump:

So did this get fixed, or are your neighbour's complaining about the pong ;)

Depends which way the wind is blowing :Yikes:

AndrewJ
18-07-2006, 20:58
She can come use mine :D

Enuff
18-07-2006, 23:59
I'd also like to know if you got your shower sorted?