PDA

View Full Version : Help please - DHCP server uncontactable

fecund
08-12-2003, 01:13
Hi, hope someone can help... this is driving me mad. I first got bb through a set-top box about 6 weeks ago. All was well for the first 2 weeks but then it stopped connecting (169. ip address)... after reading a lot of good advice on this site and calling tech support several times I was told by them that it was a problem with my pc and not a bb problem. I was a bit surprised by this as the pc is only 7 weeks old... anyhoo, I decided to ask NTL for a cable modem instead of STB which I had seen on this site was a lot more reliable than the model of STB I have.

I got the new modem last Friday (5th) and before installing I restored my pc to it's factory settings (for good measure - no great hardship as it is new)... however when I installed the modem the process fails when it tries to get an IP address for my ethernet adaptor (release/retry fails).

I have tried ipconfig release / ipconfig renew but get the following failure :

Unable to contact your DHCP server - request timed out.

I called tech support again who could do nothing but suggested I call microsoft helpline... which I duly did but they say it is not their problem and to call my BB provider support... ad infinitum....

It seems to me that I am just getting no external connection whatsoever so not sure where the problem lies... certainly no one seems to be able to help.

I am using Windows XP home, and using an ethernet connection to the modem. My DHCP client is up & running in automatic mode....

Is anyone able to help (or at least send soothing ointment) before I call NTL and ask them to take the whole lot back ??

Thanks, Mark.

:rudo: :cry:

Mr.Moony
08-12-2003, 01:23
If you have re-installed windows and its still 169, how about trying usb? Could always be the NIC at fault

fecund
08-12-2003, 01:35
If you have re-installed windows and its still 169, how about trying usb? Could always be the NIC at fault

ok, thanks... I can give that a try, however the guy who put the modem in specifically said not to use usb as it would confuse the modem... also the connector into the modem is into the ethernet port so would I need a different cable to connect it to the usb port ? (sorry to ask stupid questions but I know nothing about this).... also, the modem is in a different room to the pc.

Sociable
08-12-2003, 01:53
Try removing the NIC in device manager then with the modem still connected do a reboot on the PC the NIC will be found and drivers loaded with the correct settings. (Removing the NIC this way effectively clears down all the associated settings including the "wrong" 169 DCHP assignment.)

Having done that the "New" NIC should see the modem correctly.

If not the problem could be the Modem has not yet "Tied" itself to the NIC in which case reboot the modem while still connected to the NIC then repeat the process above.

Hope this helps.

Mr.Moony
08-12-2003, 10:42
ok, thanks... I can give that a try, however the guy who put the modem in specifically said not to use usb as it would confuse the modem... also the connector into the modem is into the ethernet port so would I need a different cable to connect it to the usb port ? (sorry to ask stupid questions but I know nothing about this).... also, the modem is in a different room to the pc.

You dont need to use usb, just try it. (Im suprised they didnt do this with you)
It will possibly confuse the modem, which is why you will need to power it down for 30 seconds while you switch the cables accross, then re-power it and install the drivers (make sure the ntl cd rom is in the drive).
The modem being in a different room? Hmmm, as it goes you can get a enet>usb converter, which will come in handy (a blue thing with a light)

John Doe
08-12-2003, 12:37
hth

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313896

fecund
08-12-2003, 14:43
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will work through them and let you know how I get on.

I appreciate your help.

Chrysalis
13-12-2003, 22:16
ntl home 120 model

I got the same issue, I originally used USB with no problems, but recently I got a motherboard with 2 ethernet ports so decided to use the ethernet mode but after hours of hassle I gave up, I was getting exactly the same error, 'unable to obtain new IP cannot connect to dhcp server' this happened when I tried manually and of the install cd. So I gave up and am using USB again.

imback
13-12-2003, 22:27
Removing the card form device manager and re booting (as someone above said)normally sorts this out on XP

Chrysalis
13-12-2003, 22:53
I did try that numerous times, no luck :(

imback
13-12-2003, 22:55
I did try that numerous times, no luck :(

Do you get anything from usb?

Soto
14-12-2003, 01:22
As long as it's not the Terayon modem and the Enet light is coming on on the modem when it's all connected, do this:

Turn everything off - PC and modem. Carefully unscrew the white co-ax cable from the back of the modem and then turn the modem and PC back on.

Then check the IP address - if it changes to an IP starting with 192 then it's a problem with the modem or the network talking to the modem. If it stays as 169 then I'm afraid it's a problem with your PC.

If you do get a 192 IP and you get a problem calling tech support, or can't get through, PM me the mac address from the bottom of the modem (just the numbers and letters) and I'll have a look for you.

Chrysalis
14-12-2003, 13:54
imback usb works fine and I am using it fine, Soto that sounds like good advice I will try that out.

imback
14-12-2003, 16:48
imback usb works fine and I am using it fine, Soto that sounds like good advice I will try that out.

Sounds like the ethernet card its self, do what soto said to find out. Nic's are cheap if it is that at fault so not a problem really.

John Doe
14-12-2003, 16:51
take out the catv from the cm and see if you get a 192 from the cm. A "ntl home" modem will give a local address of 192.168.100.3 if there is no connection to the network. (your not using a router are you?)