PDA

View Full Version : Senses, which would you choose?

iadom
07-12-2003, 22:48
Following on from Xaccers post in the "Smells" thread, I wondered which sense I would want to keep above all others.
I would have to say that sight would be the sense that I value above, touch, hearing,smell,taste, and any others that the more gifted members may possess.

Mick
07-12-2003, 23:03
Sight, touch and taste. You have to admit sometimes there are some awful smells, so smelling I could do without. :)

Stuart
07-12-2003, 23:07
Sight, touch and taste. You have to admit sometimes there are some awful smells, so smelling I could do without. :)
Me too. Though there are some very nice smells, there are some very bad ones (feet, bad breath, B.O., various kinds of sh*t etc).

Paul
07-12-2003, 23:10
Sight, Touch & Hearing - I could live without smell or taste.

Russ
07-12-2003, 23:11
I'd like to keep my sense of style ;) :D

homealone
07-12-2003, 23:14
Following on from Xaccers post in the "Smells" thread, I wondered which sense I would want to keep above all others.
I would have to say that sight would be the sense that I value above, touch, hearing,smell,taste, and any others that the more gifted members may possess.

tbh iadom, I don't think a person, with all their senses, can answer that question. - although I agree 'sight' is the one I would most fear to lose, touch is the one I would most want to rely on?

iadom
07-12-2003, 23:16
I'd like to keep my sense of style ;) :DI suppose that makes you one of the more gifted members that I referred to in my first post.:rofl:

Sociable
07-12-2003, 23:42
Sadly with advancing years I'm losing all with equal speed but have to agree with Ozzie on this:

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 00:23
Probably would hate to lose my sight.
If I went deaf I would be able to ignore my missus naggine me :D
I'd prolly also not like to miss my sense of taste (yes, although I can't smell I can still taste, see, I am weird) as I do like my food :)

Course sense of touch would be very bad as my skin is my erogenous zone :naughty:

Fawkes
08-12-2003, 00:37
My sense of humour :p

bopdude
08-12-2003, 03:25
A different angle, I could and would love to be without my sense of smell, especialy in summer time with my hayfever :(

And at the moment with a cold I look like Rudolph..lol *waits for kink and her paint skills ...lol

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 09:54
A different angle, I could and would love to be without my sense of smell, especialy in summer time with my hayfever :(

Wouldn't help you there.
Alergies have nothing to do with smell.

Stuart
08-12-2003, 10:21

Perhaps you would be better off without your nose?

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 11:08
I couldn't do without my sixth sense :batty:

:disturbd:

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 11:29
Perhaps you would be better off without your nose?

Imagine your nasel hair just flapping in the wind when you breath with no nose to hide it!

Imagine how messy sneezes would be too!

bopdude
08-12-2003, 11:36
Wouldn't help you there.

Alergies have nothing to do with smell.
True, true, but I could do without having the hightened sense, smelling the ( pollen ) and sawdust and other things that make my summer's miserable :(
Perhaps you would be better off without your nose?* refrains from telling the " my dogs got no nose ................... " :)

I couldn't do without my sixth sense

That would be the art of knowing without knowing :ninja:

I'm still looking for the common sense my friends and family say that I should have been born with but haven't got :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 11:42
Gerald "the shadow" kaufman: My dog's got no nose"
Man: "you're dog's got no nose? how does he smell?"
Gerald "the shadow" kaufman: "he doesn't, I sliced it off"

Theodoric
08-12-2003, 13:01
I couldn't do without my sixth sense :batty:

:disturbd:
The sixth sense is kinaesthesia, the perception of body position and movement and muscular tensions etc. An example is being able to touch the tip of your nose with your eyes closed.

EDIT I shall now wait for the first person to say that they suffer from akinaesthesia and are in constant danger of poking their eye out. :)

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 13:12
The sixth sense is kinaesthesia, the perception of body position and movement and muscular tensions etc. An example is being able to touch the tip of your nose with your eyes closed.
Thats not (imo) a sixth sense. It's just spacial awareness/ position sense and as such already covered by the other senses. I always think of a sixth sense as a 'third eye' kind of thing.

Theodoric
08-12-2003, 13:18
Thats not (imo) a sixth sense. It's just spacial awareness/ position sense and as such already covered by the other senses. I always think of a sixth sense as a 'third eye' kind of thing.
I realised what you meant, it's just that I'm a supporter of spatial awareneness as a genuine sense.

Flubflow
08-12-2003, 13:26
Common sense. :)

Ramrod
08-12-2003, 14:08
I realised what you meant, it's just that I'm a supporter of spatial awareneness as a genuine sense.
...but it only senses your internal sensory inputs not external inputs. Unlike all the other senses (or am I wrong about those?)

Stuart W
08-12-2003, 14:30

Well.... without a sence of smell, you would have extreemly limited taste. The toungue can only detect the basics, salt sweet sour, it's down to (or should it be up to?) the nose to depict the taste for you.

The 'taste' of food is a mixture of 80%nasal 20%oral inputs.

I guess it is a hard question as I have full use of all my sences, but I would guess that loosing my sight would be the bigger fear.

iadom
08-12-2003, 17:27
Well.... without a sence of smell, you would have extreemly limited taste. The toungue can only detect the basics, salt sweet sour, it's down to (or should it be up to?) the nose to depict the taste for you.

The 'taste' of food is a mixture of 80%nasal 20%oral inputs.

I guess it is a hard question as I have full use of all my sences, but I would guess that loosing my sight would be the bigger fear.

Or it could be your sence (sic) of spell you are most in danger of losing...;)

SORRY Stuart, the sarcastic devil inside me could not resist that.:sorry:

Russ
08-12-2003, 17:30
What about that amazing extra sense that women have which enable them to spot you having a sneaky eyeball at the cute brunette working in New Look?? Or that other ability they have to "know" when some "ugly tart" is coming on to you?? :spin:

Stuart
08-12-2003, 17:37
What about that amazing extra sense that women have which enable them to spot you having a sneaky eyeball at the cute brunette working in New Look?? Or that other ability they have to "know" when some "ugly tart" is coming on to you?? :spin:
It's amazing how they can do this, even if they are not facing you at time, and have no reflective surfaces to see you in...

Atomic22
08-12-2003, 18:33
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Xaccers
08-12-2003, 18:37
[PEDANT]
Well.... without a sence of smell, you would have extreemly limited taste..

Well, myself being a medical freak, I have no sense of smell (hey they even did an op to find out why, and yes they did find my brain) but taste better than most people ( any ladies want to put that to the test? :naughty: )

We did a taste test at school, where you pinched your nose and tasted some crisps, I got 8/10 (the two I got wrong being marmite flavour and hedghog flavour).

I can't eat food that is too spicy/hot. Anything more than a balti and my tongue is on fire.

Bex
08-12-2003, 18:38
ohh hard question.....i think i would like to keep my sense of sight, touch and hearing.......

smell and taste are also important and i would hate to lose any sense...... when i had flu i lost me sense of taste and it was awful :(

Tricky
08-12-2003, 18:53
Touch would need to be 1st because without you'd be pretty ****ed.
I think hearing would need to follow cos being deaf screws your speach
I think Sight would need to follow
Then Taste followed by Smell (know many people with no smell (well two actually!))