PDA

View Full Version : No Ringing but phone rings

lisauk
10-07-2006, 12:32
Can someone advise me.

I have the BT Equinox 1200 SMS Digital Telephone - Twin Pack phones.

After the lightening storm we had in oxfordshire on Thursday morning one TV, one sky dish and our cable modem all stopped working.

I have also noticed that our telephones ring but with no sound if the lead from the sky is plugged into the double adapter with the telephone.

If i plug an old phone in which is not plugged into the electric the phone rings fine.

Is it the phone or is there not enough electricity coming in through my NTL phone line to power both the phone and sky.

Cheers Lisa

JadeFalcon
10-07-2006, 13:16
sounds like time to book an appointment with the insurance people sounds like a power surge may have killed things off especially if other equipment died around the same time, you may be able to claim damages if you have the right insurance..

and on second thoughts it is odd that the ntl phone went aswell considering thats not connected to power from the household supply.. unless its plugged into a power socket on the wall as some phones dont get enough power from the actual line to provide their features, cordless apples here usually

Paul K
10-07-2006, 14:00
would guess that the phone is damaged as said above. Lightning strikes can cause major issues to anything plugged into the mains as you have found out.

lisauk
10-07-2006, 15:37
I thought it was the phone but if you unplug the screen from the phone line the phone rings ok, so I can not see how the phone could be damaged.

Strange..

Could it be that it is actually the ntl box or line that is not working in some way?

The TV and cable modem that got knocked out were on a surge plug, surge plug is ok as are the other things on the surge plug, how strange.

Also other things are working that were plugged into the same place as the sky that was knocked out.

Lisa

Jules
10-07-2006, 15:41
Sounds to me like it is the phone, seems that when you try to have it all working that is when the problems start

lisauk
10-07-2006, 20:53
Ok i have solved the puzzle.

The sky engineer yesterday who came to fix my first sky box that was totally knacked blamed the phone or the ntl phone line he did not check the 2nd sky box, typical in actual fact the problem is the 2nd sky box.

I did a little detective work, I unpluged the new sky box and took it upstairs and replaced the 2nd sky box with the new one the phone rang ok. I then took the phone downstairs plugged it in with the new sky box down stairs then reinstalled the sky box upstairs the 2nd box and plugged it into the phone line the phone did not ring.

So another call to sky engineers for me tomorrow :-(

TheBlueRaja
10-07-2006, 21:17
The ring capacitor in the phone socket has blown, You need to get a new phone socket.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

Have a look here it might help to allow you to visualise what im talking about.

lisauk
10-07-2006, 22:05
It is not the ring capacitor as the phone rings fine if I plug new sky box in, instead of old 2nd box.

TheBlueRaja
10-07-2006, 22:12
Im afraid i dont know then.

Somehow the phone dosent get ring voltage with that Sky box in, as to why that happens i dont know.