PDA

View Full Version : Mother's rings stolen / Lost ???

Mike
09-07-2006, 13:12
Hi all

Four rings (£2000) are missing from my mother's house. The only people who have been there...........was a person tiling the bathroom (guy from down the road) and a forgein student staying for a week. The rings where purchased by my father just before he died so mum is heart broken. Mum last saw them about 6 weeks ago and does not know when they disappearred and has looked everywhere !

At a real loss to know what to do. Stolen / lost ?????.................any ideas :sleep:

Thanks

Mike

AndrewJ
09-07-2006, 13:13
Man thats just wrong on so many levels, I would say notify the police asap, but also check all local pawn shops.

sarahlouise45
09-07-2006, 13:15
Hi all

Four rings (£2000) are missing from my mother's house. The only people who have been there...........was a person tiling the bathroom (guy from down the road) and a forgein student staying for a week. The rings where purchased by my father just before he died so mum is heart broken. Mum last saw them about 6 weeks ago and does not know when they disappearred and has looked everywhere !

At a real loss to know what to do. Stolen / lost ?????.................any ideas :sleep:

Thanks

Mike

Does she have them insured? then again, they could come under the property contents insurance I guess... Personally, I would report them stolen to the police, get a crime reference number and then contact contents insurer and make a claim. I know it's not going to mend a broken heart but at least by reporting the situation to the police, they may be able to find them???

Mike
09-07-2006, 13:17
Does she have them insured? then again, they could come under the property contents insurance I guess... Personally, I would report them stolen to the police, get a crime reference number and then contact contents insurer and make a claim. I know it's not going to mend a broken heart but at least by reporting the situation to the police, they may be able to find them???

Not covered............. in the small print only covered if forced entry (theft)

Mike

sarahlouise45
09-07-2006, 13:19
Not covered............. in the small print only covered if forced entry (theft)

Mike

Sorry about that hun.... I would still report them stolen to the police and see if they can get on the case. I'd also check the local pawn shops too as already suggested. This is harsh. I'm sorry. Good luck....

Jules
09-07-2006, 16:19
I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to your mum the emotional cost to her is priceless :(

TheDaddy
09-07-2006, 16:52
Don't just check with the local pawn shops, ask the Police to go in and give the shopkeepers descriptions of the items and any photos you have, unfortunately you may have to badger the Police but it is worth it if you get your mums rings back.

me283
09-07-2006, 17:07
Don't just check with the local pawn shops, ask the Police to go in and give the shopkeepers descriptions of the items and any photos you have, unfortunately you may have to badger the Police but it is worth it if you get your mums rings back.

I hate to say it, but the Police would be unlikely to do that :( The only chance would be if the person who took them didn't have a tax disc, then they would probably set up a road block. Pawn shops sound a good bet, or you could put an ad in the local paper offering a reward to anyone who may have "found" or innocently purchased them.

On a different level, if your mum is the religious/spiritualist kind, you could try taking her to a medium or a clairvoyant... it won't get the rings back, but for some people they get a lot of spiritual comfort from that type of thing. It may sound far-fetched, but every little helps.

TheDaddy
09-07-2006, 17:16
Depends where you live and whether you local constabulary give a s**t I suppose, Cambridge do, we regally used to receive reports from the Police about stolen goods ;)

Hugh
09-07-2006, 17:26
Have you thought of having a "chat" with the two potential suspects?

Along the lines of "some stuff went missing (don't be specific), and did they see anybody suspicious hanging about?"

Their reactions may give you some clues, but don't go in heavy-handed, or you could end up in trouble yourself, and that won't help your mum.

Nidge
11-07-2006, 21:55
**** the lot of them.