PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems

aviewer
07-12-2003, 17:35
Ex CWC,Bromley Area,Having problems with the sound on my service,mostly what seems to be a cracking sound,its not there all the time but is getting worse,i have checked all connections several times everything okay there,has anybody got any ideas what might be the problem.
Thanks.

Fawkes
07-12-2003, 18:10
Welcome to NTHW aviewer.

Have you tried unplugging the box from the mains and plugging it back in again, this sometimes fixes the problem (well it worked for me last night!)

If not your STB might be about to go and you'll need to call tech support for that.

Hope this helps.

dino
09-12-2003, 17:26
If the crackling sound can only be heard on some channels it is probably the broadcasters fault. There is a known fault with CR3 MR1 where the volume on the STB is set too high and there is no way to reset it. It affects some boxes more than others and is only apparent on some channels. Classic FM TV is an offender and News 24 was the other night.

NTL say that the broadcasters are setting the volume levels too high; far higher than the standard allows. It is apparent on NTL over other systems due to a lack of tolerance in the hardware and software.

aviewer
19-12-2003, 02:54
Thanks Fawkes for your advice and your welcome.
Welcome to NTHW aviewer.

Have you tried unplugging the box from the mains and plugging it back in again, this sometimes fixes the problem (well it worked for me last night!)

If not your STB might be about to go and you'll need to call tech support for that.

Hope this helps.

aviewer
19-12-2003, 02:56
dino,

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter,i have a feeling this could be the answer.

If the crackling sound can only be heard on some channels it is probably the broadcasters fault. There is a known fault with CR3 MR1 where the volume on the STB is set too high and there is no way to reset it. It affects some boxes more than others and is only apparent on some channels. Classic FM TV is an offender and News 24 was the other night.

NTL say that the broadcasters are setting the volume levels too high; far higher than the standard allows. It is apparent on NTL over other systems due to a lack of tolerance in the hardware and software.

garyparson
20-12-2003, 22:59
This was one of the biggest threads on nthellworld.com and I know all too well about this. Ring NTL up and they'll have no clue or deny all knowledge of this one! What caused it was the previous maintenance release (MR1) which altered the volume from +6 to +10, depending on what box you have that is. This sends the sound on some channels over the top and as you've listened to causes crackling. The best bit is that normally you'd be able to go into the front menu and alter the sound back down again. You can do this but the function that should save the setting has been turned off. How clever... I'd love to thank the prat who thought that up. Anyway. I've heard that the people who made this cockup are aware of it and will put it back in MR2, alegedly! I'll sit and wait on that one, like I already have been for the many months since they cocked up my sound.

Oh, and if like me you have an expensive surround set up that is in danger of getting damaged, NTL thinks that's just tough and not their problem.

guru
21-12-2003, 20:06
arghh just recently started to have this very same problem thus me typing it in google and finding this thread.. can never get hold of bloody ntl customer services these days but going to try them again tomorrow. interesting what you say about the sound levels. i cannot change the sound volume via my remote but on the set top box there are sound keys so will try them wether it saves them or not. guess it's worth a shot ;)

btw whats 'CR3 MR1'? is it a software version?

asdf
22-12-2003, 01:43
It's the current version on ex-CWC Set top boxes (except certain london areas)

It's the third major release, 1st bugfix release. :)

MR2 is the second bug fix for CR3 and is due sometime in the new year, this should fix this problem along with updating ex-CWC boxes with the same sort of features that are promised on the new Langley update being rolled out "soon".

guru
22-12-2003, 18:44
oh right thanks :)

got a technician coming tomorrow to have a look. lets see what he has to say about it

aardvark
22-12-2003, 19:53
I've had a technician round today. First he swapped the box ... sound no better.

.... then he blamed my tv

.... then he tried his own tv & discovered the problem was still there

.... then he made a few phonecalls

.... then he left (me with exactly the same problem).

IT NEEDS SORTING NOW!

dino
23-12-2003, 13:58
I've had a technician round today. First he swapped the box ... sound no better.

.... then he blamed my tv

.... then he tried his own tv & discovered the problem was still there

.... then he made a few phonecalls

.... then he left (me with exactly the same problem).

IT NEEDS SORTING NOW!
Yep. That sounds about right. I noticed this problem and checked out both nthellworld.com, digitalspy and this forum. It was apparent that it was a problem with mr1. However, CS were insistent on sending an engineer out but the forums suggested that the engineer would be unable to make any difference. I told them not to bother, but to note it.

It is very noticable on my amp; I don't actually use the amp now to watch Classic FM TV or listen to any of the radio channels. Shame, really, as I bought the amp and subscribed to NTL in order to take advantage of digital sound which is superior to NICAM stereo. :LOL:

garyparson
24-12-2003, 01:30
MR2 is the second bug fix for CR3 and is due sometime in the new year
Say's who? And do they mean 2004?

guru
24-12-2003, 20:05
technician came round and adjusted some settings or something (i wasnt in at the time but that's what i'm told) and so far so good.. on my second evening with no crackling (fingers crossed) :)

garyparson
26-12-2003, 22:13
technician came round and adjusted some settings or something (i wasnt in at the time but that's what i'm told) and so far so good.. on my second evening with no crackling (fingers crossed) :)
The technician can apply a lower sound volume in the engineers menu but when you then boot the machine it goes back to what it was. That's cos they took this out the last software 'upgrade'. End of.

Bottesford
27-12-2003, 13:57
What about VH-1? The sound has been overdriven since the analogue days! And its not just our box- someone we know in Stafford has the same problem.
It doesn't crackle - it just sounds FAR too loud and on the edge of distortion.

aardvark
10-01-2004, 13:00
The technician can apply a lower sound volume in the engineers menu but when you then boot the machine it goes back to what it was. That's cos they took this out the last software 'upgrade'. End of.

There are other threads which explain how to get into the engineer's menu (and why you shouldn't) but, if you do, how do you get out of it?

spiderplant
10-01-2004, 15:24
There are other threads which explain how to get into the engineer's menu (and why you shouldn't) but, if you do, how do you get out of it?

Just switch off at the mains. (But don't go there in the first place!)

vileda
12-10-2004, 22:31
OK, Ive moved to Sky+, sound excellent with no clipping/distorting, red button works, kept the bb through the stb so have the best of both worlds

garyparson
12-10-2004, 23:20
a year later and it still isn't fixed. Great. I'd go to sky but the sound problem is my only problem with NTL and i have phone tv and cable with them.

vileda
27-07-2005, 23:04
a year later and it still isn't fixed. Great. I'd go to sky but the sound problem is my only problem with NTL and i have phone tv and cable with them.
Well, another 8 months on, Is this problem fixed?

browneggsandham
27-07-2005, 23:48
The software which fixes it has begun to be rolled out.

Browneggsandham :)