PDA

View Full Version : 10MB for all ??

tucker61
09-07-2006, 08:52
How soon will it be before everyone is on the 10mb platform as ntl announced last year. Any news would be apreciated. I think at the time the said before end of 2006, Does this mean that all over xmas people will be switching on and off the modems hoping for the upgrade ??

Stop It
09-07-2006, 08:55
I think (Could be wrong on this) that it would be an opt in thing, with the current tiers remaining, I for one want to stay on 4Mb unltd, rather than have a capped 10meg.

As for timing, well, by years end is probably a good estimate, if not very early 2007.

grubbymitts
09-07-2006, 09:00
no cap on 10mb anymore. It would be an opt in thing methinks, unles NTL want to change all those 100 and 120 modems that can have trouble with 10mb.

Slyder
09-07-2006, 09:01
no cap on 10mb anymore.

Confirmed... they removed the cap for us 10meg users some time ago now. :)

Stop It
09-07-2006, 09:04
Eek, thats for the top tier (£35), he means the other tiers (£17 and £25), who were supposed to be put to 10meg, but with varying caps.

etccarmageddon
09-07-2006, 09:05
I think you're all right - it will be an opt in option for £18 or £25 a month but with usage limited. so you can have a slow speed (1meg or 4meg) with no limits or top speed with limited use.

SnoopZ
09-07-2006, 21:46
I wouldn't be surprised if they've decided not to put everyone on 10mb now seeing that everything is now uncapped.

etccarmageddon
09-07-2006, 22:33
they will do as ADSL is offering high speeds with low price but crap usage allowance.

SnoopZ
09-07-2006, 22:41
they will do as ADSL is offering high speeds with low price but crap usage allowance.

Yes you're right i had forgotten about that.

etccarmageddon
09-07-2006, 22:48
the basic orange broadband for example offers upto 8meg but 2gig allowance. ideal for casual low volume users.

SnoopZ
09-07-2006, 23:00
2gig isn't really enough to browse 2-3hrs a night. My sister was going to get that until i pointed it out. :)

etccarmageddon
09-07-2006, 23:32
tell your sister she should also know that the service wanadoo/orange broadband supply is bloody awful/disgraceful.

SLM
09-07-2006, 23:34
Do you guys think this is true.....I think some one is pulling your leg....do you know how much it would cost ntl to get every 1 million + BB customers up to 10Meg......there are loads of 1meg customers on pace stb's...etc etc

etccarmageddon
09-07-2006, 23:39
Do you guys think this is true.....I think some one is pulling your leg....do you know how much it would cost ntl to get every 1 million + BB customers up to 10Meg......there are loads of 1meg customers on pace stb's...etc etcwww.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard

"ntl To Make 10MB Broadband Speed As standard"

"In 2006 ntl will launch additional 10Mb and unlimited broadband services at a range of different price points to match individual needs. The company will also add to its security and content offerings"

SLM
09-07-2006, 23:52
www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard)

"ntl To Make 10MB Broadband Speed As standard"

"In 2006 ntl will launch additional 10Mb and unlimited broadband services at a range of different price points to match individual needs. The company will also add to its security and content offerings"

:Yikes:

This could mean 1 of 2 things either ntl will ditch the pace box :tu: or if the customer wants the 10meg with usage limit they will be paying for a modem install eg £50 like what happened with the 3 to 10meg upgrade.

SnoopZ
10-07-2006, 00:01
Don't forget the Samsungs too.

etccarmageddon
10-07-2006, 06:42
:Yikes:

This could mean 1 of 2 things either ntl will ditch the pace box :tu: or if the customer wants the 10meg with usage limit they will be paying for a modem install eg £50 like what happened with the 3 to 10meg upgrade.it's probably cheaper to convert the customer to cable modem. the cost is in the engineer's time and transport.

Stuart
10-07-2006, 09:34
I wouldn't be surprised if they've decided not to put everyone on 10mb now seeing that everything is now uncapped.

So what would be the difference in the 3 tiers? Why should I (for instance) pay £34.99 for a service, while someone down the road gets the same service for £17.99?

The original plan was to have everyone on the same speed, but vary the cap.

Florence
10-07-2006, 09:40
So what would be the difference in the 3 tiers? Why should I (for instance) pay £34.99 for a service, while someone down the road gets the same service for £17.99?

Many already get 10mb for £17.99 because they phone in and pretend they are cancelling. :td:

Stuart
10-07-2006, 09:47

Many already get 10mb for £17.99 because they phone in and pretend they are cancelling. :td:

Well, I have to admit, that's not something I agree with..

kibblerok
10-07-2006, 17:58
Do you guys think this is true.....I think some one is pulling your leg....do you know how much it would cost ntl to get every 1 million + BB customers up to 10Meg......there are loads of 1meg customers on pace stb's...etc etc

Which is why its probably an opt in with a gradual phase in for those who don't know/can't be bothered or possibly the introduction of 1mb for peanuts to keep those happy.

As of saturday STB broadband was no longer being sold.

James Henry
10-07-2006, 18:21
Isn't like ntl are obliged to give discounts they choose to.

A lot of people actually just comment on the alternatives or ask for better deals and ntl happily hand them over without any need to cancel.

Blame ntl not most of the people who are phoning in. Your masochistic need to give ntl more money than you have to for a service you are constantly complaining about is really your prerogative.

If ntl were to grow some testicles and work on making their customers more profitable rather than obsessing with how many customers they have and how much triple play they can sell, even if they are selling the triple play for a tenner a month, and perhaps even stop firing people and outsourcing to cut costs to pay for these stupid deals they'd be better off. Charging £25 / month indefinitely for services which are at full price £60 or so is crazy, and shows either that the £60 is an absolute rip off or that they are killing themselves with the discounting.

I'll take door number 2 there as cable just can't be done on the cheap however hard you try. You can save by outsourcing the entire business but that copper and fibre still needs to be maintained and that costs. (Or would if ntl were actually maintaining their network rather than purely fixing faults as cheaply as possible). One wonders how many discounts have to be offered because someone upstairs demanded a cutting of costs, so services are in some areas crap and people phone in to complain and month on month just get blagged and discounted. Nice false economy there, save money, give the money straight back away.

Last I checked all businesses are based around generating profit, not generating revenue. The way ntl are going they'll have no full price payers left from having to discount intensively to keep up with the competition and to compensate for the laughable customer 'service' from India, and be making 1p profit on 5 billion revenue.

:rant:

tucker61
10-07-2006, 19:12
On saturday i phoned up faults because of the high ping whilst playing online games, I asked if it could be a issue because i was on a 4mb broadband, He replied he did not think so but if i was interested they would upgrade me for free for 1 month, After this i would have to change back down to 4mb or pay 34.99.
I was advised to wait 48 hours for upgrade to take place.

48 hours passed, no upgrade, phoned customer services, who advised me no upgrade has been made to my account, but instead of 1 month free, they could give me 3 months at half price, which works out less than what i am currently paying according to csc. Not sure what my bill will be, he couldn't tell me, too many discounts, Thinking about it i think he may have got more money out of me than the one who offered 1 month free, But hey i am happy with it.

Do not mind paying for it, as long as it does the job as it should....

Bob
10-07-2006, 19:15
I would imagine NTL will offer 1MB (£17.99 ), 4MB (£24.99 ) and 10MB (£34.99 ) uncapped as well as two tiers of 10MB with caps at the £17.99 and £24.99 price points. Just my opinion though :)

SLM
10-07-2006, 22:17
As of saturday STB broadband was no longer being sold.

That's the brainiest thing ntl have done in a long time, they should (IMHO) have done that years ago.:)

bonzoe
11-07-2006, 20:38
Retenetions told me that everyone will be on 10MB in about 3 months, and there will be a new pricelist, presumably different caps

grubbymitts
11-07-2006, 21:09
Retentions often speak rubbish - it's them trying to retain people. Why would they change from an unlimited package to a tiered capped package?

Chances are, you'll see prices come down and usage remain unlimited. That's the war that's being fought now by the ISPs. Last year it was faster speeds, now people have realised that speed isn't that much of a deal, it's unlimited use. NTL proudly say that they are one of the only truly unlimited providers - why go back on this and lose face?

bonzoe
12-07-2006, 07:01
I would gladly go for a reduced fee and a capped service, 30GB pm is more than enough for me, and I suspect for most internet users. Retentions seem to know more about what is going to happen than CS.

As long as NTL offer an unlimited service, how can they loose face? Especially if offering capped services to those who want them, listening to customers.