PDA

View Full Version : multiple televisions in one home

tcjohnsson
09-07-2006, 08:19
I want to hook up 18 televisions (with digital service and some premium content) on one property. Is this possible? And how could I go about doing this? The longest run from the street to the last television is about 175 feet. Thanks in advance.

SLM
09-07-2006, 09:45
I want to hook up 18 televisions (with digital service and some premium content) on one property. Is this possible? And how could I go about doing this? The longest run from the street to the last television is about 175 feet. Thanks in advance.

:welcome: to the site.

You will need 4 or 5 cables run into the house, then each 1 of these will have 4 stb of them.

18 is a lot is this your property or something you are doing up?

Toto
09-07-2006, 10:03

Sounds to me that you will need to discuss some sort of business based feed, would be interesting to see if ntl can deliver this on the TV side of things.

AndyCambs
09-07-2006, 12:31
Eighteen??? Are you running a hotel or something?

sarahlouise45
09-07-2006, 12:37
Eighteen??? Are you running a hotel or something?

Would make sense - although it'd be a small hotel ;)

tcjohnsson
09-07-2006, 12:45
I purchased this six 2-bedroom property several months ago and I'm currently utilizing it as a rental for rent-assisted elderlies. They are very old and are on fixed income so they cannot afford much rent but I'm currently embarking on a $300,000 renovation project and need to cover at least a good portion of my loan costs. The project was necessary because the buildings (three duplex units) were basically falling apart from decades of termite damage and deferred maintenance. The expense of the project will raise their rents but I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible so that they can all move back in after the 3 month project is complete. My idea is to cover their cable costs through one account and split this service to all the tenants. This would save them $45/each a month.

5 of the 6 tenants (each tenant consists of two people) pay for individual cable service which is approx $45 here in Honolulu, Hawaii (non premium non-digital service through Oceanic Time Warner). The elderly tenants watch A LOT of television and I thought it would be necessary to have one television in the living room and one in each of the two bedrooms - this equals 18 televisions total. If I subtract one television from one of the two bedrooms, I would have 12 tvs total.

I own the entire property and while it is legal to rent the units individually (under state law), it is not legal to sell them individually. This is why I assume (and I have been told) that I could split the service to all units and not have to pay for them individually. But I think it would be great if I can get them digital service with some premium channels, even if it costs me more for the single service. I'm assuming you can get a pretty good line-up for under $75/mo.

And please pardon my ignorance - I'm a newbie. Thanks for the responses.

danielf
09-07-2006, 12:53
5 of the 6 tenants (each tenant consists of two people) pay for individual cable service which is approx $45 here in Honolulu, Hawaii (non premium non-digital service through Oceanic Time Warner).

<snip>

You are aware that this is a UK site, are you?

Edit: Meaning that any advice given by people here may not apply to your specific circumstances.

tcjohnsson
09-07-2006, 13:03
You are aware that this is a UK site, are you?

Edit: Meaning that any advice given by people here may not apply to your specific circumstances.

oh crud. Sorry about that! Longshot here, but can you recommend a US forum that could help me?

danielf
09-07-2006, 13:07
oh crud. Sorry about that! Longshot here, but can you recommend a US forum that could help me?

No worries! :D

I don't know about a US forum, but I would imagine that it might be easiest to contact the supplier about this?

BTW, feel free to stick around. We're a friendly bunch here (mostly) :)

AndyCambs
09-07-2006, 14:20
Seeing Hawaii and US$ made me wonder how far the new Virgin/Telewest/NTL company was spreading its wings!!!!!

popper
09-07-2006, 14:53
along with the tv , you might look into giving them access to the internet, given that you give the impression that they are unlikely to be very active.

it wouldnt take much, other than a broadband connection, a wired/wireless router and perhaps 2 APs, plus some old pcs and monitors, and wireless cards were wanted,the net is far better for keeping the old brain cells working than veging infront of the tv.

SLM
09-07-2006, 22:02

You could mention this to some of the ntl managers they would tell you they could install you just to get there comp targets up.......:angel:

tcjohnsson
10-07-2006, 00:22
Thanks for all the responses, I will definitely hang around : )

I am including internet with the rent too. In fact it'll be wireless, however, I will be providing wireless USB adapters to all the tenants (in case their computers are not set up for wireless). I'm not sure how many will actually take advantage of the service - they average about 78 years in age. But I have a feeling that some will adopt caretakers soon, and they will likely utilize the service. I didn't think about donating computers but I've been seeing some pretty incredible deals for basic laptops these days. If they express interest, I'll probably pick up a few $350 laptops.

Thanks again for the support!

ian@huth
10-07-2006, 10:39
I would suggest having a look at http://www.hawaiiradiotv.com/HawaiiTV.html#Oahu-Broadcast for details of the cable and satellite companies serving Hawaii and contacting each of these. Whilst it is fairly easy to provide service to 18 apartments using free to view terrestrial signals it is dependent on the cable / satellite companies what they can offer with regards to premium content to multiple occupancy appartments.

James Henry
11-07-2006, 07:22
I would suggest having a look at http://www.broadbandreports.com it's without a doubt the best site of its' kind in North America :)

Plenty of cable workers for various cablecos post there along with ex workers and plenty of knowledgeable people, as well as the odd fool like me ;)