PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Prank Calls from Withheld Number

AndrewJ
08-07-2006, 22:02
Hiya all

Been getting a few prank calls from people who either hang up or talk nonsense down the phone, I have no idea from and I am wondering what NTL charge for putting the withheld number call baring on my number?

dcclanuk
08-07-2006, 22:33
no... tell them to put annonymous call barring on ur phone... its free.....!:p:

Gareth
08-07-2006, 22:44
Saw this... shame you're not with BT If you receive a malicious call and would like advice, call BT on Freefone 0800 666 700. A 24-hour recorded message will tell you how to deal with the situation and what to do if you need more help.

BT has ten Malicious Calls Bureaux across the country offering help, advice and guidance for people who are victims of malicious or nuisance calls. If calls persist, you can get in touch with the Malicious Call Bureaux on Freefone 0800 661 441 and BT will offer advice on action to take, particular to your situation.

If you subscribe to NTL or Telewest and you recieve malicious calls, be sure to contact your customer services number or visit your phone provider's website for any advice.

Marge
09-07-2006, 00:12
no... tell them to put annonymous call barring on ur phone... its free.....!:p:

fyi it's already available on most lines already, you don't need to tell anyone, asking is much nicer !!!!

different codes dependant on where you are to enable it.....

AndrewJ
09-07-2006, 01:08
I am in Rochdale.

Chris W
09-07-2006, 03:53
Saw this... shame you're not with BT

Not much of a shame really...

Ntl also have a recorded nuisance calls advice line- 0800 052 1370

If you want to speak to a person about it call customer service and they will explain the options to you.

I believe in summary they are- block anonymous calls or change your number.

AndrewJ
09-07-2006, 11:16

If you want to speak to a person about it call customer service and they will explain the options to you.

I believe in summary they are- block anonymous calls or change your number.

Thank you for the number Chris shall give them a ring after Breakfast :D long day ahead today.

AndyCambs
09-07-2006, 13:38
I use *65 to turn on ACR (Anonymous Caller Reject) and #65 to turn it off.
It's a free service with NTL (unlike BT who charge for the service).
It's also useful to stop getting calls from the office where they call from a direct dial number as the calls are generally with no number....

AndrewJ
09-07-2006, 13:41
I heard the hash code is area related though.

Could a NTL official please PM me with the hash code for Rochdale.

sarahlouise45
09-07-2006, 13:45
I use *65 to turn on ACR (Anonymous Caller Reject) and #65 to turn it off.
It's a free service with NTL (unlike BT who charge for the service).
It's also useful to stop getting calls from the office where they call from a direct dial number as the calls are generally with no number....

When you key in '*65' is it supposed to say anything? Only when I just did it it didn't, don't they normally tell you what you've just added to your phone etc??? :erm:

---------- Post added at 12:45 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

I heard the hash code is area related though.

Could a NTL official please PM me with the hash code for Rochdale.

If that's the case - can someone PM me with the free annonymous call barr code for Swansea please??? :)

Gareth
09-07-2006, 21:18

I believe in summary they are- block anonymous calls or change your number.But do they have 10 centres dedicated to dealing with people who receive nuisance calls? That was what I was impressed with, not the hotline.

Pia
09-07-2006, 21:21
I get them a LOT on my mobile, it doesn't bother me too much though cos it must mean they are secretly obsessed with me..oops: :rofl:

If it was on my house phone though it would pee me of no end, so i'd deffo get the caller reject thingy, my mam has it, and it's a bit of a pain when i ring her from work because i have to remember to dial 1470 first:D

marky
09-07-2006, 21:26
Andrew,
Dial *227# to enable
Dial #227# to disable
Dial *#227# to check the status ;)

AndyCambs
09-07-2006, 22:47
If you go to http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/tariff.asp
and enter your postcode, it will show you the entries applicable for your own area. NTL are quirky and have different codes in different exchanges.

Marge
09-07-2006, 22:51
and enter your postcode, it will show you the entries applicable for your own area. NTL are quirky and have different codes in different exchanges.

Not quirky as such, it's the result of different companies using different systems being bought by ntl hence the different codes. One day it may be that everyone can use the same but can't see that being anytime soon....

AndrewJ
09-07-2006, 23:06
Thanks Mark worked a charm and thankyou everyone else :D

Maggy
10-07-2006, 16:59

Apparently not available in my area at all..I'll just stick with my creepy robotic amercan voice recording on my answer phone to deter the little blighters. ;)

Marge
10-07-2006, 20:04
Apparently not available in my area at all..I'll just stick with my creepy robotic amercan voice recording on my answer phone to deter the little blighters. ;)

Should be available in your area Incog, if that *227# code etc doesn't work for you then it should be a quick call to CS to add it on as lines installed before 2002 in your region don't automatically have it on or I could put it on for you if you wish ;)

Vegeta
01-08-2006, 17:48
Great, I've enabled anonymous call barring now.