PDA

View Full Version : Why cant i get NTL broadband

bigrich1976
08-07-2006, 09:29
When my neigbour two doors down can!!!

He has a cable service and from what i can see a NTL IP address, The postcode checked on NTL states i cant get broadband but i got digital TV recently from them, Can someone give me a definitive answer if this guy does actually use NTL.if i ping hios static ip address it resolves to NTL.

Thanks in Advance.

Stop It
08-07-2006, 09:43
ntl don't do static IPS, anyway, if you can get Digi TV, you probably can get broadband too, the checker is sometimes iffy, try actually ringing ntl and seeing, they will be able to tell you more accurately.

bigrich1976
08-07-2006, 10:18
Just called NTL and i can get NTL!!!! Shame i have just had a BT line put in!!!! :mad:

ian@huth
08-07-2006, 12:55
Just called NTL and i can get NTL!!!! Shame i have just had a BT line put in!!!! :mad:You could still go for NTL broadband unless you are tied into an ADSL contract. I would imagine that as you have recently taken a NTL DTV service that you have and are paying for a NTL telephone line as well as the BT telephone line. You could always call NTL and see what they can offer you if you add Broadband to your account. It would make sense for them to supply you with a broadband package at a minimum cost of £17.99 per month and not charge you for the telephone line rental. You will never know what deal you may be able to get if you don't ask.

bigrich1976
08-07-2006, 17:15
well thankfully i work for NTL:Telwest so can get a discounted package. I have had the BT line in and need to know the minimum amount of time i need to keep the BT line for, i think its 3 months....ive cancelled the ADSL for now while i get Cable installed so not so bad.

Chris W
09-07-2006, 03:02
I believe that you have to have the BT line for 3 months if it is a house move or reconnection of an existing line, but if you have had a new line installed then i think the minimum contract is 12 months.

bigrich1976
10-07-2006, 15:08
The plot thickens somewhat!! Apparently just because your neighbour can get broadband doesnt mean you can. I would love to specifically know why my neigbour can and i cant....

Chris W
11-07-2006, 01:23
There may be no ducting to your house, or if there is ducting, it may be blocked somewhere (eg under the road) which will require a great expense to repair. The income from one extra customer will not justify this. (I was in that exact situation when i lived in London)

PhilMitch34
11-07-2006, 06:34
I wish I could get broadband too. I'm stuck with analogue TV and dial-up!!!!!!
Any of you guys know when SO19 area will be up graded????

James Henry
11-07-2006, 07:20
I wish I could get broadband too. I'm stuck with analogue TV and dial-up!!!!!!
Any of you guys know when SO19 area will be up graded????

I think God himself would struggle to answer that one. People have been asking for years and it's still a big 'don't know'.

dragon
11-07-2006, 07:28
There may be no ducting to your house, or if there is ducting, it may be blocked somewhere (eg under the road) which will require a great expense to repair. The income from one extra customer will not justify this. (I was in that exact situation when i lived in London)

But the op said they had NTL digital tv so surely that would mean theres an NTL cable going into the house for that :confused:

bigrich1976
11-07-2006, 07:45
i must admit i am a novice when it comes to know how its all wired up, i was always under the impression that if i can get Digital TV(which ive got) i could could get broadband. 2 years ago when my wife had cable she had a old analogue service so something has been upgraded in that time to enable us to have digital...me thinks i need to try and speak to a NTL installs engineer.

mmm
11-07-2006, 08:37
When my neigbour two doors down can!!!

He has a cable service and from what i can see a NTL IP address, The postcode checked on NTL states i cant get broadband but i got digital TV recently from them, Can someone give me a definitive answer if this guy does actually use NTL.if i ping hios static ip address it resolves to NTL.

Thanks in Advance.

From personal experience (5 years of problems) the database can be wrong - but don't let the ntl salesperson put the wrong postcode and then try to manually override the system. If you have the cable passing your house - often the route is clear in Tarmac pavements, and there's a small CATV outlet outside your house you must insist on a survey. Then when your address is added to the relevant databases (there seems to be many of these, marketting, billing, provisioning...) then (and only then) order ntl cable.

bigrich1976
11-07-2006, 10:02
Spmebody from the planning dept is going to be talking to me today so hopefully i will have some idea on what is happening.

bigrich1976
11-07-2006, 21:53
YESSSS Finally getting somewhere, NTL engineer coming along on Saturday to install. i wont actually believe it until i have it up and running!!

PS1
11-07-2006, 22:58
From personal experience (5 years of problems) the database can be wrong - but don't let the ntl salesperson put the wrong postcode and then try to manually override the system. If you have the cable passing your house - often the route is clear in Tarmac pavements, and there's a small CATV outlet outside your house you must insist on a survey. Then when your address is added to the relevant databases (there seems to be many of these, marketting, billing, provisioning...) then (and only then) order ntl cable.

Its even more simple and obvious than that,bigrich1976 is saying he already has ntl digital t.v.
Black and white really id say:tu:

dragon
11-07-2006, 23:11
Its even more simple and obvious than that,bigrich1976 is saying he already has ntl digital t.v.
Black and white really id say:tu:

Wasn't there some areas that had basic digital tv but there was no return path available or something like that so broadband and interactive functionality wern't available.

I think I remember seeing something to that effect posted here but that was quite a while back so they may have added a return path to that area since.

So although in most cases if you've got digital tv you should be able to get broadband it may not be the case everywhere.

bigrich1976
17-07-2006, 08:24
Welll Saturday came and went, and i CAN get broadband, working like a dream, rock solid 4 meg connection, hopefully be upto 10meg when the deal is revamped at the end of this month, all for virtually nothing, thanks guys. :)