PDA

View Full Version : Lost emails?

PhilipOH
06-12-2003, 23:47
For a few weeks now I suspect my emails - both incoming and outgoing - are disappearing.

I get emails 5 days late, others I simply do not get, and many of the ones I send don't get to their destination. Pretty soon I'll miss a REALLY important email.

I use Outlook Express but don't think this has anything to do with it.

Anyone else suspect their emails are going astray? I'm in Renfrewshire, Scotland.

Cheers

poolking
06-12-2003, 23:52
What are some of the destinations? Because some ISPs block e-mails from NTL.

PhilipOH
06-12-2003, 23:55
I'd suspect that too, but it seems random.

Hotmail seems sporadic to send and receive. Ones I send to AOL seem to disappear - but only to some addresses, not all.

This only seems to be happening in the last 2 weeks, I've been fine for 18 months.

I can send emails from my hotmail account to my ntl one, and back again with no problems. Maybe its time to phone tech support.

poolking
06-12-2003, 23:57
Check to see if you are getting any 550 errors.

swoop101
07-12-2003, 08:33
I sent a complaining e-mail to NTL a couple of weeks ago about the same thing.
I never heard anything back - perhaps that got lost as well :D

Rone
07-12-2003, 10:17
I sent a mate an e-mail reply last week. His mail arrived the same day within an hour of him sending it. My reply took 3 days to get to him. An no, hes not got a full mailbox.
He doesnt live too far away, and i reckon even the Post Office could have beaten that. :(
Hes on BT broadband btw.

Sociable
07-12-2003, 10:33
Given there has been continuing problems with NTL email delayed mail is to be expected till they sort the servers out completely (if ever).

It's not uncommon for e-mails to get trapped in the system when there are problems with the e-mail servers. They usually rejoin the queue as and when the server is fixed hence them turning up hours or even days later. Happily very few seem to ever completely dosappear without trace.

Not a solution to your problem I know but I hope the explanation helps.

Indians
07-12-2003, 20:15
I've complained twice about receiving mail clearly intended for someone else, more worrying (for me) is that MY mail is ending up in someone else's inbox.
Reported to NTL, no replies.

swoop101
07-12-2003, 21:08
I've complained twice about receiving mail clearly intended for someone else, more worrying (for me) is that MY mail is ending up in someone else's inbox.
Reported to NTL, no replies.

You will more than likely find that these are spam that has been blind copied to many people.
Whatever you do, DO NOT OPEN THEM as you will be alerting the senders that your mail addy is 'live' and you will be buried under all kinds of crap in your in-box. :grind: :afire:

Indians
08-12-2003, 13:01
I thought at first they might be spam, but, notifications about MS .net registrations, username registration details (and password in 1 case) etc. for 2 different gaming websites, they look too genuine.

Sociable
08-12-2003, 13:11
I thought at first they might be spam, but, notifications about MS .net registrations, username registration details (and password in 1 case) etc. for 2 different gaming websites, they look too genuine.

Just a thought but someone may be using your addy to register for those sites. :)

Not uncommon when someone tries to register a "hooky" version of a game I understand.