PDA

View Full Version : jobs

Graham F
05-07-2006, 14:50
i'm looking for a job at the moment what are people's top tips for getting one?!?

Nugget
05-07-2006, 14:52
I've always found that applying for them is a good start ;)

Legendary_PSR
05-07-2006, 15:00
and when you get to the interview, don't be fooled - employers would rather have people who act like they know what they are doing instead of people who actually know what they are doing

Graham F
05-07-2006, 15:12
well so far 20 agencies and only 3 showing any intrest....most are flooded with students at the mo :2up:

Nugget
05-07-2006, 15:19
What sort of work are you looking for matey? It might be worth, instead of registering with agencies, just seeing what jobs there are on the various websites?

Paul K
05-07-2006, 15:19
well so far 20 agencies and only 3 showing any intrest....most are flooded with students at the mo :2up:
Had the same problem when I first moved south. This time of year can be harsh, have you signed up for any online job search engines or thrown your CV at a few people?
You have to keep plugging away at this time of year unfortunately, the good thing is that with the holiday season upon us there will be companies taking on people to cover leave and those jobs can turn permanent, if not you get another job to put on your CV which can help you achieve your aim of employment.

weirdworldstate
05-07-2006, 15:20
....most are flooded with students at the mo All those degrees looking for a place to use them. Must be an advantage in the jobs market to have good qualifications - particularly when there's lots of people looking.

Also, graduates generally make for keen, high-quality and cheap employees. That's a hard act to follow.

Graham F
05-07-2006, 16:00
LOL!!!

I have thrown my cv at everyone and anyone, i have a couple of things lined up for tomorrow now!!

Legendary_PSR
05-07-2006, 16:09
the problem is most students think that work is a place to **** about in, and they end up taking jobs that would be better suited to others

just because they talked incoherently a lot at their interviews/their parents work there

Halcyon
05-07-2006, 16:45
Have you taken a look at the online jobs websites.
The guardian and a few other major newspapers have jobs and yourl ocal newspaper probably has a Jobs Day suppliment during the week.

www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk is also a good place to look.

Gareth
05-07-2006, 16:51
What sort of industry/field are you looking for, or are you prepared to do just about anything?

The jobserve site is very well known for IT jobs, but they also have positions in other industries that are available too.

I never relied solely on agencies... I used 'em when it was to my advantage, but I also contacted employers directly by phone and mail (not email though, even though it is cheaper and quicker).

Chris W
05-07-2006, 18:21
networking!

Got friends who work for companies who might be looking for staff? May be worth seeing if they can recommend you for anything.

Company i work for now actively encourages recommending a friend (and they give you £100 when you have both been working for 3 months :) )

greencreeper
05-07-2006, 23:35
Put your CV on the web - are lots of sites out there. Avoid registering with agencies - you'll feel used and you will be. Let them come to you - with a specific job.

Graham F
11-07-2006, 10:31
thanks for all the comments...i have got a few things lined up now, so fingers crossed that i will be back in a 9-5 job soon :confused:

san antonio man
12-07-2006, 23:47
Hi this is my first post in a while but i had to reply to this post seen as though i am unemployed at the moment and i know how hard it is to find one! lol.
Well i find agencys to be useless well the ones round this area of dewsbury (west yorkshire).
Try looking on www.totaljobs.com (http://www.totaljobs.com) and also the job centre plus website :)