PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

testcard
28-06-2003, 19:35
Any tips for a good insurance company for a 17 year girl driving a Clio.
Needs fully comp and her as the only driver.

paul11974
28-06-2003, 19:39
Originally posted by testcard

www.tesco.com ............. or http://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/insurance/insurance_car.html ....both do some great deals

Charlie_Bubble
28-06-2003, 19:41
Pray? :)

I don't think there is any real tips to give, except to shop around. Try some of the insurance comapnies targetted at women in particular. Insurance is expensive for most people these days, not just young drivers.

peterska2
28-06-2003, 19:43
stay away from diamond as they are a jip.

can you pay up front for the whole premium?

if you can then www.elephant.co.uk are very good. i am with them. saved £1200 this time and £3000 last time.

other then that then the AA are good. you can pay monthly with them too. www.theaa.com

paul11974
28-06-2003, 19:45
you could also try this site which will search all insurers for you ............. www.insuresupermarket.com

Chimaera
28-06-2003, 20:01
Try Diamond - www.diamond.co.uk - cheapest for my daughter (19) on a Fiesta. Strangely, if you put a parent on the policy it reduces the cost - reduced her insurance by £250! For once I am an asset to my kids! :)
I'm with a company called www.its4me.co.uk - cheap for us oldies!

testcard
28-06-2003, 20:26
Mr Tesco coming out on front at the moment.

Mr Sainsbury ranks students with

"those connected with gaming, nightclubs, circuses, fairgrounds, amusements, street trading, scrap waste or second hand dealing"

and won't touch them with a barge pole.

Thanks and keep them coming

peterska2
28-06-2003, 20:29
theres also norwich union.

not sure how they are for young drivers tho.

cjll3
28-06-2003, 20:40

Sell it and buy a Corsa?

http://buypower.vauxhall.co.uk/insurance/index.jhtml?source=homePage

paulyoung666
28-06-2003, 20:48
shop around and play them off against each other , works wonders dont you know ;) :) :) :)

paul11974
28-06-2003, 20:51
Mr Tesco coming out on front at the moment.

Mr Sainsbury ranks students with

"those connected with gaming, nightclubs, circuses, fairgrounds, amusements, street trading, scrap waste or second hand dealing"

and won't touch them with a barge pole.

Thanks and keep them coming

i hope u have tried www.insuresupermarket.co.uk

testcard
28-06-2003, 21:00
Originally posted by paul11974
i hope u have tried www.insuresupermarket.co.uk

Most certainly did,very comprehensive. Cheers

Atomic22
29-06-2003, 20:48
swinton does it for me for service and price....
i think they have girly policys and such
dont touch insure.co.uk with a very long barge pole

SMHarman
29-06-2003, 21:43
www.confused.com

Does a run through of all the online insurance companies and reports back all the best prices (you can see all of them on line).

Fantastic job it does.

testcard
29-06-2003, 22:23
Originally posted by SMHarman
www.confused.com

Does a run through of all the online insurance companies and reports back all the best prices (you can see all of them on line).

Fantastic job it does.

Cheers
Type the reg number and the make and model came up, scary or what.

swoop101
29-06-2003, 22:28
Have a look at www.morethan.com
I have been with them for ages and nobody has been cheaper yet.

Xaccers
30-06-2003, 02:27
Originally posted by swoop101
Have a look at www.morethan.com
I have been with them for ages and nobody has been cheaper yet.

funny, cos they were morethan anyone else I went to :P
(not just for car insurance either)

Scarlett
30-06-2003, 09:36
Tesco have done me fine for the last couple of years + you get your first years no claims free so after a year they'll give you a certificate stating you have 2 years no claims that you can take to another insuruer. Least my third party insuracne is less than the cost of the car that I drive!

Scarlett

timewarrior2001
01-07-2003, 10:21
Take your pass plus then Churchill will not be beaten on a quote.
Without it they wont insure a 17 year old.

SMHarman
01-07-2003, 11:39
Cheers
Type the reg number and the make and model came up, scary or what.

Just a link to the DVLA database - ensures they are insuring the correct model. You cannot state it is a clio 1.2RT when it really is a 16V

keithwalton
01-07-2003, 15:23
Originally posted by peterska2
stay away from diamond as they are a jip.

can you pay up front for the whole premium?

if you can then www.elephant.co.uk are very good. i am with them. saved £1200 this time and £3000 last time.

other then that then the AA are good. you can pay monthly with them too. www.theaa.com

Sorry to be rude at all, but just what are you driving ? Surely you've added a 0 to those figures as, im in the targeted band for complete insurance rip off, (19yr old Male 2years for license but never driven his own car as pocket is not deep enough yet).

I've done quotes with directline and such before (seem to be cheap to me i havent been able to beat them yet) for around £1400 in total (not savings) But this is for a mid - early 90's 5 Series BMW :-) they dont seem to be to bothered what engine its got either, with about £50 difference between the 1.8 and 3l

Saying that a 1.2 olop is just shy of a grand :-(

Its really quite anoying that i've been forced off the road really because i cant afford to put up the money for the car and insurance at the same time.

K

timewarrior2001
04-07-2003, 00:45
I'm insured through AXA direct (now just AXA)
E reg Sierra sapphire 1.6l
5 years no claims
26 years old (now 27)
Living in Teesside
No alarm or immobiliser, parked on driveway overnight

I got protected no claims and fully comp insurance for £230

Nidge
04-07-2003, 09:29
Try this one for size fully comp on a Ford Mondeo Taxi full no claims £3,500 for the year.:eek: :eek: :eek: Cheap ain't it????????? Keep on moaning people. Vauxhall Corsa fully comp in my name the wife to drive, full no claims £500 :eek: :eek: :eek: Because I'm a Taxi Driver.

bob_a_builder
04-07-2003, 15:50
Because I'm a Taxi Driver
And your surprised !
We've all got a pretty good idea of the average Taxi drivers driving style !
And the insurance companies seem to have the numbers to back that up !

Edit: No good saying you're not the/an average Taxi driver - insurance works on averages

SMHarman
04-07-2003, 16:12
Originally posted by bob_a_builder
And your surprised !

Edit: No good saying you're not the/an average Taxi driver - insurance works on averages

This is a bit harsh...

The average taxi driver is driving around on the roads for 8 hours a day. If it is a taxi company then the average vehicle in their fleet could be driven for 20hours a day. This is a damn sight longer than yours or my car and the as it is on the road more it is on average likely to get into accidents more often.

The average taxi driver is regularly carrying passengers, wheras the average car probably runs driver only a lot of the time. In the event of the above average accidents there are more bodies involved and more likelyhood of personal injury claims.

So the average driver drives 1.5 hours a day and pays £500 a year for cover. The average taxi driver drives 8 hours a day and pays £3000 a year. The multiplier is not far off.

orangebird
04-07-2003, 17:25
This is a bit harsh...

The average taxi driver is driving around on the roads for 8 hours a day. If it is a taxi company then the average vehicle in their fleet could be driven for 20hours a day. This is a damn sight longer than yours or my car and the as it is on the road more it is on average likely to get into accidents more often.

The average taxi driver is regularly carrying passengers, wheras the average car probably runs driver only a lot of the time. In the event of the above average accidents there are more bodies involved and more likelyhood of personal injury claims.

So the average driver drives 1.5 hours a day and pays £500 a year for cover. The average taxi driver drives 8 hours a day and pays £3000 a year. The multiplier is not far off.

You also have to consider the kind of environment that taxi drivers work in - late night pick ups, boozy crowds, drunken idiots that like to play chicken, or kick the taxi on their way past etc etc. It's a fairly dangerous job in some respects, so it's not really a surprise that the insurance is so high - it just reflects the risk.... :erm:

Nidge
06-07-2003, 11:37
Originally posted by bob_a_builder
And your surprised !

I bet you are one of those people when they see a Taxi in a smash suddenly blame the Taxi Driver. Take last night for instance my mates car was written off by a young kid a a suped up Clio who was driving on the wrong side of the road being chased by the Ploice. I've been cab driving for 16 years and I've never had a smash, all the lads I work with have never had a smash, most of our claims come from rear end shunts where people shunt us. The reason our insurance is so high is, we are a easy target for the companies, we need the insurance to work so they rip us off. Take bus insurance, our local bus company insured with Genral accident can insure a bus for £300 per year why does a car cost more?????

Nidge
06-07-2003, 11:38
This is a bit harsh...

Thank you sir, someone with some sense.

Nidge
06-07-2003, 11:41
Originally posted by orangebird
You also have to consider the kind of environment that taxi drivers work in - late night pick ups, boozy crowds, drunken idiots that like to play chicken, or kick the taxi on their way past etc etc. It's a fairly dangerous job in some respects, so it's not really a surprise that the insurance is so high - it just reflects the risk.... :erm:

Orangebird I have £3milli on worth of public liability included in my insurance, if I have an accident and death was caused people would be taken care of via the public liability included in my insurance.

Russ
06-07-2003, 11:42
Although it's easy to judge, and of course I don't know each and every taxi driver, bear in mind that most of the time Taxi drivers are in a hurry - what with the adage 'time is money' being appropriate for them - and those who drive whilst in a hurry are IMO going to be more likely to cause accidents or drive dangerously.

Orangebird I have £3milli on worth of public liability included in my insurance, if I have an accident and death was caused people would be taken care of via the public liability included in my insurance

Most policies these days have liability of up to £3 million.

Nidge
06-07-2003, 14:13
Originally posted by Russ D
Although it's easy to judge, and of course I don't know each and every taxi driver, bear in mind that most of the time Taxi drivers are in a hurry - what with the adage 'time is money' being appropriate for them - and those who drive whilst in a hurry are IMO going to be more likely to cause accidents or drive dangerously.

Most policies these days have liability of up to £3 million.

Correct Russ time is money, nobody is a good driver we learn things all the time when out on the road but, why are drivers punished by insurance companies every year for driving safe???? The American way of suing is hitting our pockets hard. Last year one of our lads was shunted by a car, it wasn't a hard shunt just a roll, the driver got out of his car and had a look, no damage was caused so thay both went their seperate ways, a few weeks later a letter dropped through my mates letter box, it was from a solicitor acting for this passenger he had on board at the time of the shunt saying she was claiming for whiplash. He showed me the letter I fell about laughing :eek: He got in touch with the other driver who shunted him and put their stories to the solicitor, the solicitor wrote to the woman and told her he wouldn't take the case on. This is what's causing our insurance to rocket.

lewis_t
21-09-2005, 18:42

Get quotes from a comparison site like www.quotezone.co.uk - they have companies like endsleigh on them who are great for young drivers.

SMHarman
21-09-2005, 18:50
The post you are replying to is over 2 years old!

Jules
21-09-2005, 18:54
Welcome to the forum Lewis :)

lewis_t
21-09-2005, 20:37
Welcome to the forum Lewis :)
Thanks Jules ! (I should have read the date on the posts i guess lol )

Jules
21-09-2005, 21:23
Don't worry about it a lot of us have done that when new :)