PDA

View Full Version : Weird?????

MadGamer
06-12-2003, 17:11
Not sure wheather this is supposed to be in here or not.
EDIT: Mods feel free to move if this is in the wrong place.

Ok here goes...

My phone rang about 5 minutes ago at about 4:00pm so i picked it up and there was no one there so i kept on saying hello to see what it was. No reply. It was just beeping, after this strange encounter i put the phone down and picked it up again to dial 1471. But the same thing is still happening.

Anyone having this problem???

WNA

Dave Stones
06-12-2003, 17:14

Ok here goes...

My phone rang about 5 minutes ago at about 4:00pm so i picked it up and there was no one there so i kept on saying hello to see what it was. No reply. It was just beeping, after this strange encounter i put the phone down and picked it up again to dial 1471. But the same thing is still happening.

WNA

we had this problem a while back at home. turns out some company was trying to use our phone number as a fax number. did it about 10 times repeatedly and stopped for about 10 mins then started again. couldnt hang up or anything, no dial tone etc. a call to CS and ntl sent a fax to the number. stopped soon after that...

Paul
06-12-2003, 17:22
Someone has put your number into a fax machine - most modern machines will keep trying a number of times if they fail to connect and send.

Sociable
06-12-2003, 17:44
Yep sure sound like a fax being given the wrong number.

Reminds me of the fun a friend had when his number was only one digit away from the local Chinese take-away and nobody would believe they had dialed the wong number.

philip.j.fry
06-12-2003, 17:46
Do you get a number with 1371? and have you got a fax machine.fax modem? if so you can send them some snotty replies :) or in fact hook up the modem and see what they are trying to send :D

MadGamer
06-12-2003, 18:17
Well it was actually my mums mobile phone number. But she said to me that she didn't ring home and i found that to be a bit on the strange side.

FYI: its nothing to do with NTL.

Sociable
06-12-2003, 18:23
What's the betting "Home" is item one on speed dial list and the phone got bumped arround and tried to dial but couldn't connect correctly as other buttons pressed at same time?

philip.j.fry
06-12-2003, 18:27
What's the betting "Home" is item one on speed dial list and the phone got bumped arround and tried to dial but couldn't connect correctly as other buttons pressed at same time?

That'd be it for sure. This is always happening to me, my Mum forgets to lock her keypad, puts her phone in her bag and next thing you know I'm getting repeatedly called with me yelling down the phone trying to make myself heard :)

MadGamer
06-12-2003, 18:43
My mum has a mobile phone cradle fitted in her Saab 93 Aero and so i don't think that it could have been dialed incorrectly.

Nor
06-12-2003, 18:48
Well you could put it down to some sort of international conspiracy where agents were able to clone your mothers mobile telephone in order to make you think 'wierd'. Or you could accept it was probably her mobile being dialed, upto you :)

Maggy
06-12-2003, 21:30
Yes my daughter keeps doing this to me.Smack,smack,smack.

Incog. :)

MadGamer
06-12-2003, 22:38
Well you could put it down to some sort of international conspiracy where agents were able to clone your mothers mobile telephone in order to make you think 'wierd'. Or you could accept it was probably her mobile being dialed, upto you :)
I think thats what it was, her mobile being dialled upto me.

st-clares
29-12-2003, 17:28
I had this problem some 9 months ago. It was "telephone cold calling" sales callers. They use computers to dial random numbers. if you do not pickup within a few seconds the line is then dead.
You can stop this by contacting the Telephone Preference Service, free of charge. To register call the automated service on 0845 07 007 07 24 hours 7 days/week.
I takes approx 4 weeks to take effect. I have had no calls since registering.

Stuartbe
30-12-2003, 09:25
I used to get the same thing all the time but since registering with the TPS I have had none at all !!

ntltech32
30-12-2003, 11:38

Ok here goes...

WNA

Could easily be somone trying to send you a fax! hehe if it does persit give ntl customer services a call and they will have it traced and can stop that number contacting you.

Russ
30-12-2003, 12:01
if it does persit give ntl customer services a call and they will have it traced

Hahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're having a laugh aren't you??

When I was getting annoymous calls last year I reported it to NTL and they came back telling me they were not able to trace it but "it should stop now" - guess what, it didn't. Only after the Police's intervention did it stop.

ntltech32
30-12-2003, 12:02

When I was getting annoymous calls last year I reported it to NTL and they came back telling me they were not able to trace it but "it should stop now" - guess what, it didn't. Only after the Police's intervention did it stop.

hehe true i suppose.. never had that problem..

MadGamer
30-12-2003, 12:06
Could easily be somone trying to send you a fax! hehe if it does persit give ntl customer services a call and they will have it traced and can stop that number contacting you.
Im not with NTL. The problems been sorted now anywhay

Maggy
30-12-2003, 12:27
The TPS are fantastic.I've only had one call since registering and I was able to be quite nasty pointing out that I had registered with TPS.That got them all flustered and I've had no more calls.
Well apart from the silly students who think it is fun to call up Miss and play silly pranks.They don't like the whistle I keep by the phone.
It is also good for the heavy breathers by the way.

Incog. :)

Stuartbe
02-01-2004, 07:53

Thanks guys !! :) :)

I now have a mental image of two NTL tech's, 2 baked bean tins and a length of string :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: