PDA

View Full Version : Exchanging that present from hell

Theodoric
06-12-2003, 16:08
I get the impression that stores are quite reasonable nowadays about exchanging that two sizes too large sweater with the garish picture of Rudolph on it. Am I correct or are there any hold-outs from the days when the customer was always wrong?

In case of a nearby relative it shouldn't be too much of a problem as you can keep the receipt and tactfully tell the recipient on Xmas day that you wouldn't be mortally offended if they they wished to exchange it.

But what about a present to someone far away? What is the accepted etiquette? Should you put in the receipt with the present for their covenience with the accompanying risk of showing that either:

a) you are the sort of skinflint who turns off the gas as they turn over the bacon

or

b) you obviously wish to embarrass the recipient by showing how much more you have spent on their present than they have on yours.

Dave Stones
06-12-2003, 16:18
I get the impression that stores are quite reasonable nowadays about exchanging that two sizes too large sweater with the garish picture of Rudolph on it. Am I correct or are there any hold-outs from the days when the customer was always wrong?

In case of a nearby relative it shouldn't be too much of a problem as you can keep the receipt and tactfully tell the recipient on Xmas day that you wouldn't be mortally offended if they they wished to exchange it.

But what about a present to someone far away? What is the accepted etiquette? Should you put in the receipt with the present for their covenience with the accompanying risk of showing that either:

a) you are the sort of skinflint who turns off the gas as they turn over the bacon

or

b) you obviously wish to embarrass the recipient by showing how much more you have spent on their present than they have on yours.

dont places do "gift receipt" things now? where you ask for one of these and put it in instead of the one with the price on, and the store will accept it for returns etc?

Theodoric
06-12-2003, 16:22
dont places do "gift receipt" things now? where you ask for one of these and put it in instead of the one with the price on, and the store will accept it for returns etc?
Sounds like a good idea. Now you mention it, the Amazon gift wrapping service does has a 'remove the price tag' option.

aliferste
06-12-2003, 18:00
Sell it on ebay :)