PDA

View Full Version : Quick technical query

greencreeper
30-06-2006, 23:26
The silver things that are attached to the back of the modem. Would they cause a problem if the modem speed changed? Would a change of speed cause any problems in general?

Wicked_and_Crazy
30-06-2006, 23:33
assuming your talking about the attenuator. This only affects the SNR.

We have to get ours changed every now an then as we are the first house from the cab and adding new customers causes problems for us

greencreeper
30-06-2006, 23:37
Yes - but I don't think all of them attenuate.

I have to keep rebooting my modem - ready light keeps dropping to blinking. It coincides with being upgraded from 2MB to 4MB, or whatever it is - I lose track. All I know is my modem speed is faster today than it was yesterday.

[edit] It's now just rebooted itself. Me suspects they might be fiddling again :rolleyes: Unless it's the neighbours.

[edit] Might be a stray egg, Chris W - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=430197&postcount=2 :D

Downstream Receive Power Level is -9.4 dBmV - which according to Iggy is too high.

Chris W
01-07-2006, 01:57
urm... -9.4dBmV is too low.. not too high ;)

greencreeper
01-07-2006, 06:57
urm... -9.4dBmV is too low.. not too high ;)
Oh yeah :dozey: Did I mention it took me several attempts to pass maths at GCSE? :dunce: :D

It was almost hitting -11 last night. It's around -8.9 this morning. Hope I don't have to phone NTL :erm:

Graham M
01-07-2006, 09:29
Take us a photo of whats on the back of the Modem?

Red Skies
01-07-2006, 09:59
I'm a little baffled, my Downstream Receive Power Level is currently "-11.08 dBmv". I thought it wasn't an issue until it got somewhere near -15 dBmV (+15dBmv the other way)? Hmm..how near is "near"?;):shocked:

greencreeper
01-07-2006, 20:51
Take us a photo of whats on the back of the Modem?
No camera - at least, not one that takes decent pictures. There's a 10dB forward path attenuator, and a 8dB forward path equaliser

The value used to be a three - feel sure of it. Can't recall if plus or minus. I've only just got in and I've been online for about 10 mins and it's just started flashing RDY again. Down stream power is around -10.4 at the moment. Not good :(

greencreeper
01-07-2006, 23:27
I've been offline - couldn't get the RFY light to stay lit. Modem has been off a while and is fine - for the moment. Downstream power has dropped to -5.7. I wonder if it's the modem itself :erm:

Creative
01-07-2006, 23:38
I've been offline - couldn't get the RFY light to stay lit. Modem has been off a while and is fine - for the moment. Downstream power has dropped to -5.7. I wonder if it's the modem itself :erm:

If you've gone from -9 to -5 then your levels have increased.
A change of 3dB means your levels have doubled (+) or halved (-) in terms of power. Temperature at the moment may well have a big influence but you should not be seeinbg massive changes on a day to day basis.

greencreeper
02-07-2006, 12:01
Not long after I posted last night, it went off permanently - RDY flashing and nothing would make it stay constant. I went to bed. This morning it's fine - at the moment...

---------- Post added at 12:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Nah - still up and down :( Will have to phone tech support. Last time, it took me the best part of a week to convince them. I'd phone when the RDY light was off, I'd queue, I'd speak to someone, and the RDY light would then be on - tech advises no problem found. In the end, they sent an engineer because I kept calling.

Upstream power level is 61.0 dBmV - probably an issue also

greencreeper
02-07-2006, 14:12
It's stable for the moment - has been for a while :erm: The upstream power has dropped to fifty-odd, last time I checked, and the downstream power was the same - though I've now lost access to the modem diagnostic pages. So Lord knows what's going on :(

greencreeper
04-07-2006, 22:39
I had to phone them - went off again tonight for a few hours. 10p a min to report a fault :shocked: Spoke to Sanjib. Clear spoken and helpful. Marks deducted for interrupting the customer - must listen to the customer. I only got as far as "this" when trying to say, "this has been happening since the weekend". I tried several times to tell him but gave up. He asked that I remove the coax and power cables - in the wrong order. Marks deducted for technical ability - though it'll probably be his crib sheet. I reconnected the cables as asked and he then said he'd book an engineer. Never asked what lights were now on the modem :D I thought I'd best mention it and managed to say that both sync and rdy were now off. No response. Must not be on the sheet. Engineer coming Friday AM. I'll give Sanjib a point for cheek though - tried selling me 10MB broadband on a 1 month free trial. Er, the service is stuffed and you want me to pay you more :shocked:

7/10