PDA

View Full Version : Loads of different questions

bitchplz
29-06-2006, 09:43
I've been with NTL now for around 12 months. 2mb Broadband.

I recently purchased a laptop & sold my desktop machine.

And decided to go Wireless, sharing my connection with my older desktop.
____

I have a NTL Set Up Box, Which of that leads an ethernet cable. Which used to plug directly into my Desktop.

When i plug the cable straight into my laptop, the computer doesn't get an IP Address.

So im guessing i need to install the NTL CD? Which i haven't got. I cant remember any of my settings, i dont know my username or password. And so far have gone 2 days without the internet.

So do i need to install NTL to get it working? Any ideas on what i need to do?
_________

When i purchase a wireless router on Friday, do i simply just plug the ethernet cable into the wireless router and it will work?

Or do i get rid of the set up box, as i now have a router?

I tried using a router last night, which i could connect to fine, but couldnt get an IP Address.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Alex.

bobna
29-06-2006, 09:48
unplug the power to the set top box for about 30 secs then plug it back in u should get a valid ip after this

jellybaby
29-06-2006, 09:52
Do as bobna says and reboot the set top box. In your browser type Start.ntl (or any address) and it should show the Provisioning Screen. You will need your PID and Password. If you have forgotten them then a call to NTL CS is needed.

Good Luck :)

Aragorn
29-06-2006, 09:52
Alex,

The STB keeps a record of all ethernet devices attached to it (via MAC address). Each new devices has to be registered with the STB. The best way to do this is browse to 'start.ntl' - more info here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/register.html#pacereg). This will also apply to the router as well as laptop.

And, no you don't need to load the NTL CD.

bitchplz
29-06-2006, 09:58
Thanks for the replies.

Im currently at work at the minute so i cant do much.

But Could someone possibly write me a list of steps to take?

1.) Reboot Setup Box
2.) Plug Ethernet Cable to Laptop
3.) Open up IE/FF/Opera type Start.Ntl
4.) Then?

Also i really do not know my NTL account Name or Password. But i dont want to spend 40 hours on the phone to NTL. Any other way?

:)

bopdude
29-06-2006, 10:18
Thanks for the replies.

Im currently at work at the minute so i cant do much.

But Could someone possibly write me a list of steps to take?

1.) Reboot Setup Box
2.) Plug Ethernet Cable to Laptop
3.) Open up IE/FF/Opera type Start.Ntl
4.) Then?

Also i really do not know my NTL account Name or Password. But i dont want to spend 40 hours on the phone to NTL. Any other way?

Possibly a nice NTL type person on this forum could get you the info, provided that (a) they look at this thread and (b) you can prove your the account holder :tu:

HTH ................. a little :tu:

jem
29-06-2006, 10:45
Ok the order of events is this;

1) Plug the laptop into the set-top box using an ethernet cable -don't boo the laptop up.

2) Reboot the box. (I was advised once by ntl that the best way is to pull the power lead out of the back and leave it out for 30 seconds then plug it back in.

3) When the STB has finished booting up (look for a green light on the front to stop flashing) then startup the laptop.

4) Start up your browser and navigate to any page. It 'should' display the ntl provisioning page which will be asking for your PID and password which will have been on the original letter which you received from ntl. If not then as already said enter start.ntl into the browser address bar. No one can ever find this letter when they need it so you'll need to get the info from ntl customer services (good luck), or a helpful member of this forum with contacts.

5) You'll need to 'provision' the laptop i.e. register it's MAC address. I believe you can have five devices registered at the same time, but this is fully automatic. You just need to provide a name for the new device - laptop for example.

6) Probably best to reboot the laptop after that; although you can get away with just refreshing the DHCP info; and you should be good to go.

When you get the router in, you'll need to do the same thing with it although this time you will actually be registering the MAC address of the router. The advantage is that if you subsequently get a different PC you won't need to register it as the connection is still going through the router.

It's actually easier to do than describe-shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Also just a little tip; when setting up the wireless router, it's best to first register it by hard wiring a cable between it and the laptop. Then when you know it's working ok and you have a proper internet connection then you can play about with the wireless settings i.e. encryption etc.

John

bitchplz
29-06-2006, 10:49
Possibly a nice NTL type person on this forum could get you the info, provided that (a) they look at this thread and (b) you can prove your the account holder :tu:

HTH ................. a little :tu:
The account would be in my mums name. As when i ordered BB i was only 17.

But i will give as much information needed, just to avoid NTL customer Services!
___

Thanks for that jem very helpful indeed :D

Ill print that off and try it when i get home at 5:30. Im pretty sure the letter wouldn't have been thrown away so im going to have to search high and low.

If not then ill just have to get in touch with NTL.

Chris W
29-06-2006, 16:42
I think you'll find it very unlikely that anyone will provide you with the account details- if anyone does so they will be in breach of the Data Protection Act.

The account holder will need to call customer services and obtain the PID and password to provision the service.