PDA

View Full Version : 2mb broadband to 10mb

gazpacho_UK
28-06-2006, 20:44
Simple question ..... I hope - upgrading to 10mb broadband from 2mb broadband ....... is it a matter of ntl doing something thier end to upgrade or is it a new modem which they have to send me ? I currently have a blue modem running seperatly from the ntl tv box.

SnoopZ
28-06-2006, 20:47
I think you have the best modem. You can upgrade yourself from a link. ill look for it

Here it is.

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/cablecheck It will upgrade in seconds and cost you £34.99 so becareful.

deathtrap3000
28-06-2006, 20:49
Its at their end where they send your modem a new config file and its upgraded and you dont have to do anything.
This process can take a while though.

SnoopZ
28-06-2006, 20:51
Its at their end where they send your modem a new config file and its upgraded and you dont have to do anything.
This process can take a while though.

When i did it from that link, it took 5 seconds. :)

homealone
28-06-2006, 20:58
I think you have the best modem. You can upgrade yourself from a link. ill look for it

Here it is.

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/cablecheck It will upgrade in seconds and cost you £34.99 so becareful.

that link worked for me when I went from 1 to 2 meg, & like you say, it was very quick :tu:

- it may currently report a 2meg connection as 4 meg, though I don't think that changes anything....

You're right that the ambit250 modem seems currently to be the most compatible with the 10meg tier - and your reminder that the price will increase is 'spot on' :tu:

deathtrap3000
28-06-2006, 23:24
wow your lucky
when i upgraded it took about 2 hours to get a speed change that was noticable from 2meg to 10meg

gazpacho_UK
29-06-2006, 21:29
now I am confused ..... someone off forum has told me that I could recieve another modem from ntl when i request the upgrade. they said that the cable can and probably is capable of 10mb, but the modem limits to whatever level I am paying for ...... The new modem would enable the 10mb feed ....... hope someone can shed some light ..... head full of broken buscuits !

SnoopZ
29-06-2006, 21:38
now I am confused ..... someone off forum has told me that I could recieve another modem from ntl when i request the upgrade. they said that the cable can and probably is capable of 10mb, but the modem limits to whatever level I am paying for ...... The new modem would enable the 10mb feed ....... hope someone can shed some light ..... head full of broken buscuits !

You have the BEST ntl modem going(small blue 1), the NTL:250, you won't need another modem. You will be able to get the full 10mbit speed with that. The only thing stopping you getting the 'full' speed is dependant of how congested ntl's network is in your area. :)

If you plan on upgrading to 10mbit then use that link i posted earlier. It's a few mouse clicks away and the modem should hopefully reboot and you will be on 10mbit.

I hope that clears your head of broken biscuits.