PDA

View Full Version : Help: New BB Not Working MAC Address issues Acceptable?

rak5ha
28-06-2006, 15:35
Hi is this normal,

I decided to take NTL broadband 4MBS and the engineer came yesterday to do the set-up. Today however when doing the set-up, at the stage to enter pin and surname - a pin not valid error was received.

Phoned technical support who said the modem is new and the MAC Addresses of the modems are not on the servers. It could take to the end of the month.

I explained it was not good enough - I need to log in tonight after work for work purposes. Was told to speak to customer services, rang them and they told me to speak to Tech Support. Told them the service was not acceptable and the advisor did not care.

What a joke = told the advisor to get the manager to call back but no one has called. This is not acceptable. Not sure if I should cancel my contract. Can NTL get away with this?

poolking
28-06-2006, 16:23
You shouldn't be using a residential NTL connection for business purposes.

rak5ha
28-06-2006, 16:33
Hiya,

I explained I would need broadband to access work network.

They raised no concerns/issues.

homealone
28-06-2006, 16:36

possibly a tad harsh, PK, I quite often email myself stuff from work that I finish off at home, so 'work purposes' may not imply 'business use', per se ???

Anyway :welcome: rak5ha, sorry to hear of your problems.

I'm surprised that NTL are issuing modems that don't have their MAC addresses registered, yet - the 'usual' problem is a failure to 'pair' the smartcard with the STB, which takes up to a couple of hours to sort out. Your situation, however, effectively means they are issuing equipment that they know will not work - and I agree this is unacceptable.

You will be able to get refunded for any days you cannot get a service, but that doesn't help you, if you need to have a working connection.

You are perfectly entitled to cancel - the product they have supplied is not 'fit for the purpose'...

rak5ha
28-06-2006, 16:53
Thanks homealone,

Dont know what to do if I should cancel or not. I think they should offer some discount but it is impossible for them to compromise.

Is there anything that can be done to speed up the proccess.

Can I take this matter further?

Thanks again

AbyssUnderground
28-06-2006, 17:03

Im sure I read somewhere that you can do what you like; within reason. They just do not support any problems you have while using it for business purposes if its a residential line.

Stuart
28-06-2006, 17:43

Im sure I read somewhere that you can do what you like; within reason. They just do not support any problems you have while using it for business purposes if its a residential line.

This is actually what I was told by NTL. The only time they come after you is if your network activity is consistantly high enough that it looks like you are running a company.

hairy_mick
28-06-2006, 17:49
if its a stand alone modem do a manual install

homealone
28-06-2006, 19:01
if its a stand alone modem do a manual install

The problem is that the NTL servers have not been upgraded with the bank of MAC addresses allocated to the new batch of modems, so a manual install won't work - the system will assume some-one is trying to install unauthorised equipment & deny the connection. There is nothing that can be done about this, until the servers have been updated with the new address range.

Why they allow modems to be issued before they are viable for use, is a mystery - but being able to report targets for new installations have been met, is one possibility and goes to show how KPIs can be totally misleading regarding true performance. Installing equipment that doesn't work is NOT good for a new customers perception of the company & shows nothing but contempt, in my opinion :(

Beyond continuing to hassle customer service & filling out a ResponseTek form, I'm not sure what more rak5ha can do ....

Chris W
28-06-2006, 19:32
isn't it wonderful that this happens every single time a new mac address range is added... i thought ntl would have learnt from past experiences but alas it appears not.

No matter how high you escalate this problem rak5ha, you won't be able to get sorted until this problem is resolved, unless ntl can bring you another modem which can be provisioned now.

Marge
28-06-2006, 20:09
:scratch: "Pin not valid" is nothing to do with the MAC address, the system has been dicky since Saturday with pin numbers and I've spent all week validating the ones I've had :erm: Could be as simple as that if you would like me to have a nosey tomorrow morning ??

The powers that be can confirm I'm genuine ;)

Also, dependant on the area that you're in, could mean that you're not charged for anything till you register so may be cost-free so far......

MovedGoalPosts
28-06-2006, 20:12
I can vouch that Marge is a genuine ntl helpy staffer. You're safe to pass her details by PM.

Stop It
28-06-2006, 23:12
:scratch: "Pin not valid" is nothing to do with the MAC address, the system has been dicky since Saturday with pin numbers and I've spent all week validating the ones I've had :erm: Could be as simple as that if you would like me to have a nosey tomorrow morning ??

The powers that be can confirm I'm genuine ;)

Also, dependant on the area that you're in, could mean that you're not charged for anything till you register so may be cost-free so far......

Heya Marge, do you perchance work for Ntl Customer Services (Not tech support), if so, could you have the tools to sort a "Error:207, Pin not valid for install" that the CD blurted out to me today? (I done a manual install after, and it flew through, once I found the serial :P), as the CS guy I spoke to today (Read my post http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=4015&page=51), said otherwise? This is just because, if thats the case, I will be firing off a letter to uh, eek, whos head of customer relations at ntl now, with a rather large complaint.

Marge
29-06-2006, 08:19
You'll need to send me your details by PM so I can check

Dexxa
29-06-2006, 15:09
Hi folks,
I have had the same issue. Modem for 10MB BB was installed yesterday and when I attempted to get the thing up and running was issued a "104 error" saying that the "modem did not exist.":dozey: I contacted Tech support and was given the same story that the MAC addresses had not been registered on the servers yet and that it would be done by the 30th, that is this coming Friday, at 15:30.

When I said it was rediculious that they issued equipment that they know doesn't work I was met with, "well, you will just have to wait and try again on Friday." :mad:
This is my first time with NTL and it has left a very bitter taste in the mouth.
So far a big :td: to NTL. I was left dumbfounded by my conversation with Tech Support and will not call them again. OH YES and I discovered it costs 10p a minute to phone them in the first place - is that a joke?

poolking
29-06-2006, 16:08
Hi folks,
I have had the same issue. Modem for 10MB BB was installed yesterday and when I attempted to get the thing up and running was issued a "104 error" saying that the "modem did not exist.":dozey: I contacted Tech support and was given the same story that the MAC addresses had not been registered on the servers yet and that it would be done by the 30th, that is this coming Friday, at 15:30.

When I said it was rediculious that they issued equipment that they know doesn't work I was met with, "well, you will just have to wait and try again on Friday." :mad:
This is my first time with NTL and it has left a very bitter taste in the mouth.
So far a big :td: to NTL. I was left dumbfounded by my conversation with Tech Support and will not call them again. OH YES and I discovered it costs 10p a minute to phone them in the first place - is that a joke?

Well the modem does work, just that the NTL network doesn't recognise it yet.

Philbert
30-06-2006, 18:11
I had NTL Broadband isntalled on 26th June and have the same new modem MAC address problem. (apparently problem MAC addresses start with 00.14)

I kept trying to register multiple times a day with the same invalid modem message.
Tech support kept telling me to try again in 24-48 hours.

Today (Fri 30th) I phoned and asked when the servers were being updated and was told 3rd July. (was hoping it was today 15:30pm as someone suggested)

NTL have made me unhappy. (I called CS and logged a complaint)
:cry:

BBKing
01-07-2006, 09:02
00:14? New to me, too.

Philbert
01-07-2006, 12:33
Yes 00:14 its one of the small blue NTL boxes

The call center guy asked if it started 00:14 when I asked him about when the servers were being updated.

In some way this was reassuring as this made it sound like he knew what was going on as opposed to all my previous calls to tech support where I was just told to try again in 24 hours.

:banghead:

Dexxa
03-07-2006, 09:51
Does anyone have any idea when this service is going to be up and running? I am not going to spend more money on CS because they sing the same tune all the time. I have now had the modem for a week and no home BB. Is the MAC address issue with the new 250 modems sorted out or not?

Philbert
03-07-2006, 10:42
As promised, it is now Monday and the modem was accepted.

I now have a connection after a week of waiting.

I hope everyone else who had the same problem does too!

Dexxa
03-07-2006, 11:41
It is up and running at last at great speeds!! Just did a few speed checks and all I can say is "Awesome". I hope it stays that way.;)