PDA

View Full Version : ntl or bulldog? please help urgent

paddyuk
28-06-2006, 13:16
Right im a student and the two deals i cant make my mind up are:

Bulldog - 16mb broadband + telephone line = £35/m
2 first months at £30/m

Ntl - 1mb Broadband + Telephone + TV = £30/M
but there dong first 3 months for £15 then i can get rid of the tv package and increase broadband to 4mb thus being £31/m there after.

What would you choose?

need to decide quickly as move into new flat saturday and both these offers finish on friday. ive checked availability and bulldog sais its got the full services as well as ntl.

please help, thanks

Jules
28-06-2006, 13:58
I would go with NTL.

Good luck with the move, my guess is Headingley ;)

MFKR78
28-06-2006, 14:00
I've never been fortunate enough to try Bulldog and I don't know of anyone using it so I can't really say what it's like.

But going off NTL's service, Bulldog every time.

Merlin99uk
28-06-2006, 14:02
Don't forget Bulldog is up to.... 16m is not guaranteed.....

paddyuk
28-06-2006, 14:07
Don't forget Bulldog is up to.... 16m is not guaranteed.....
yer i know.

Do you know if it is possibile to change the ntl package. Im getting mixed responses from people.

basically after my three months can i change and get rid of the tv and increase the broadband speed instead or is this not possible on this offer?

Merlin99uk
28-06-2006, 14:23
Excerpt from T&Cs.....

3 for £30 package
ntl services available only in ntl cabled streets and subject to availability and network capacity. Subject to a 12 month minimum term contract. Price assumes payment by Direct Debit. Administration charges apply to other payment methods.

The full T&Cs are viewable at :
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/additionalinformation#vp

Neil
28-06-2006, 14:32

2 first months at £30/m

but there dong first 3 months for £15 then i can get rid of the tv package and increase broadband to 4mb thus being £31/m there after.

What would you choose?

need to decide quickly as move into new flat saturday and both these offers finish on friday. ive checked availability and bulldog sais its got the full services as well as ntl.

please help, thanks

You won't be able to get rid of the TV as you will enter a 12 month contact.

paddyuk
28-06-2006, 14:37
Excerpt from T&Cs.....

3 for £30 package
ntl services available only in ntl cabled streets and subject to availability and network capacity. Subject to a 12 month minimum term contract. Price assumes payment by Direct Debit. Administration charges apply to other payment methods.

The full T&Cs are viewable at :
http://www.home.ntl.com/page/additionalinformation#vp

i know its a 12month contract but surely you can change packages when you like? no?

matty0001
28-06-2006, 14:37
Hi,

Although NTL are quite possibly the worst ISP in the country, bulldog gives them a run for their money in the uselesness stakes.

Bulldog are currently being investigated by OFCOM after a string of complaints regarding their non-existant customer support.

So although it pains me to say it, best go with NTL. However, if it was me I would not touch either with a bargepole. I'm currently doing the swap from NTL to BT and SKY

Hope this helps!

Neil
28-06-2006, 14:39
Hi,

Although NTL are quite possibly the worst ISP in the country, bulldog gives them a run for their money in the uselesness stakes.

Bulldog are currently being investigated by OFCOM after a string of complaints regarding their non-existant customer support.

That was finished ages ago.

So although it pains me to say it, best go with NTL. However, if it was me I would not touch either with a bargepole. I'm currently doing the swap from NTL to BT and SKY

Hope this helps!

So who will you get your BB from?

orangebird
28-06-2006, 14:56
i know its a 12month contract but surely you can change packages when you like? no?
AFTER 12 months, yes. Not before, that's the whole idea of a 12 month contract.

Graham M
28-06-2006, 14:59
So how come you can change the Internet Tier after one month every month?

Jules
28-06-2006, 15:02
It all comes down to personal choice for example I know a lot of people have there phone line with BT and I would rather go without a phone line than go back to BT

orangebird
28-06-2006, 15:03
So how come you can change the Internet Tier after one month every month?

That's changing a tier within a service, not dumping a service entirely as the OP was suggesting

basically after my three months can i change and get rid of the tv and increase the broadband speed instead or is this not possible on this offer?

Rik
28-06-2006, 15:56
Go with NTL ive had 3 years of fabulous service, 4 friends I know have had Bulldog and said its awful, speed and customer service wise.

I wouldnt touch BT with a bargepole either, the amount of problems ive had with them in the past.

Stuart
28-06-2006, 17:59
Hi,

Hope this helps!

According to their website, as of the end of June, Bulldog will no longer accept new customers.

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/residential/announcement/index.asp

Neil
28-06-2006, 18:08
According to their website, as of the end of June, Bulldog will no longer accept new customers.

They are just stopping proactive sales, they will still be accepting residential sign ups via their website.

Chrysalis
28-06-2006, 19:36

2 first months at £30/m

What would you choose?

please help, thanks

ntl unless you prepared to wait a few months for installation.

MFKR78
28-06-2006, 22:25
Overall for services this is how I've found things.

On the phone line I must say NTL don't seem to have many issues. We've lost the phone line only a handful of times over around 8 years or something and it's usually been sorted out rapidly and easily.

Cable TV is pretty shocking. The amount of channels is decent enough for the price (it can't beat Sky but then that's obvious seeing as NTL pay Sky to use the channels in the first place) but the reliability is horrendous. I've lost count of how many times the tv has packed up. It pretty much seems to be because basically the STB's are p**s-poor generally. I have worked for NTL in the past and so I feel confident in stating this. We still have problems with the tv side of things now. Plus even when it's working the boxes are so slow it's painful. Bringing up menus and setting changes on Sky is instant, on NTL if you're looking at the menu, channel info or pretty much anything then good luck in doing it this year.

Broadband side used to be incredibly reliable here. Infact I'd go as far as to say that my broadband used to be almost as reliable as the phone line. However in recent months the service has gone through the floor regarding speeds/access and reliability. It's gone from very reliable to pretty shoddy. Granted free speed upgrades are always a bonus but the reliability issue outweighs that.

Customer Service side is awful and has been for some time. Endless queues in the past (again I've seen this from the other side aswell of course) and people that don't know how to treat a customer when you do get through to them. Now you have to pay to report faults aswell when it used to be free. Basically what irritates me most is the fact that 90% of NTL staff will always try to treat you like you don't know anything about computers and with this also blame everything on your computer in order to hide any real faults with NTL. This generally happens anyway though as NTL will happily blame anything that isn't their service or even act as if they have no clue that there is any fault which is either a blatant lie or incompetence.

Anyhoo that's my frank and honest description.

orangebird
29-06-2006, 10:04
They are just stopping proactive sales, they will still be accepting residential sign ups via their website.
Where does it say this? I cannot find it on any of Bulldogs site pages. :confused:

paddyuk
29-06-2006, 11:19
Where does it say this? I cannot find it on any of Bulldogs site pages. :confused:

there not taking on residential customers via phone or internet from this saturday.

orangebird
29-06-2006, 11:22

there not taking on residential customers via phone or internet from this saturday.

No, I know that, but other people keep saying that they will be taking customers but only via online orders.... I cannot see any comms confirming this at all.

DaggaDagga
29-06-2006, 12:35
I would have heartily recommended NTL six months ago. But now, definitely not - the broadband has become complete crap. I'll be off as soon as my BT exchange is unbundled (not yet unfortunately).

Can you get Be? www.bethere.co.uk (http://www.bethere.co.uk)

Cobbydaler
29-06-2006, 13:12
No, I know that, but other people keep saying that they will be taking customers but only via online orders.... I cannot see any comms confirming this at all.

At the bottom of the page...

You can still sign up for our up to 8 and 16 meg services.
check availability online » (https://secure.bulldogbroadband.com/bulldogshoppingcart/CheckNumber.aspx?searchtype=telno)

orangebird
29-06-2006, 13:24
At the bottom of the page...

You can still sign up for our up to 8 and 16 meg services.
check availability online » (https://secure.bulldogbroadband.com/bulldogshoppingcart/CheckNumber.aspx?searchtype=telno)

Yes, I know that too - they are still selling their resi service until the end of tomorrow. It's whats happening from 1sy July onwards I'm ineterested in.

Charlie_Bubble
29-06-2006, 13:32
If it's any help, I have Bulldog and it's been nothing but excellent. I have the 8Meg line. Speeds are excellent. I haven't had any problems at peak-time. It's the same speed all day. I've had no outages yet either. I changed to them after a friend at work recommended them to me as he has had the same experience as me. Sign up quickly though as they sent me the following email:

Dear Mr xxxxxx

Today, Cable and Wireless made an announcement to the city stating its intention to revise its strategy in relation to Bulldog. From 1 July 2006, Bulldog will no longer take on new residential and small business customers. Instead, further customer acquisition by Bulldog will be through partnerships with major broadband service providers so that their customers can benefit from the extensive and superfast Bulldog network in the same way you do today.

What does this mean to you as an existing customer of Bulldog?

Business as usual. I would like to reassure you personally that we will carry on providing you with the same high level of service. Right now, our customer care agents are, and will remain, available to you for any support queries you may have. Our technical team continues to be fully operational and will go on expanding our network. Our finance team will also be fully available for all payment and billing queries.

Please be assured that our focus will remain entirely on meeting your needs. Our quest for providing our customers with innovative services, such as our recent launch of DoubleSpeed 16 meg broadband, will remain a high priority for us.

Further details including a full question and answer section are available in the Latest Announcement area of the Bulldog Lounge website which you can access by clicking on the following link http://www.bulldoglounge.com

We value your business and I look forward to carrying on serving you in the future.

Yours sincerely

Emanuele Angelidis
CEO Bulldog Communications

progers
29-06-2006, 15:58
ntl do a student package for a nine month period, that's waht my daughter had at Uni last year (or three quarters of a year!)

VSPNET
27-07-2006, 14:50
Bulldog have just been sold off because of its bad image. Reputation of lack of CS reliability.

They are the worst internet service provider NTL following a close second.

Neil
27-07-2006, 15:31
Bulldog have just been sold off because of its bad image. Reputation of lack of CS reliability.

They are the worst internet service provider NTL following a close second.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case at all.

AFAIK, Bulldog are still currently owned by Cable & Wireless.

Chrysalis
28-07-2006, 03:28
bulldog from what I heard have a good network, but the billing side of it is shocking. They havent been sold off yet.

AndrewJ
28-07-2006, 04:48
I would rather staple my nuts to a rampaging bull than go with Bulldog.

Stick with NTL they are heaven with gold on top compared to Bulldog.

VSPNET
28-07-2006, 12:17
I heard they had been sold off becuase of there reputation.

Chrysalis
28-07-2006, 14:18
They for sale, but I would be interested to know who told you someone has brought them.