PDA

View Full Version : NTL phone dead - again!

mmm
27-06-2006, 18:40
Wonderful NTL seem to have cut me off again.

No dial tone, just a tone similar to engaged.

When I try to call my own number from the office I get "That number has not been recognized"

Faults say the problem is with the exchange and may take so looks eerily similar to the comment in the sticky

"In some cases, the telephone number may not be on the exchange, which will lead to a NDT. This problem will take 48 - 2 working days to fix."

Can anyone explain how a number can 'fall off', can be anything to do with with having Carphone Warehouse retention offers?

Last time I got cut off it was all down to address/postcode database issues (which is actually why I first found nthellword 5 years ago. After a week of interruptions and 3 virtual house moves the phone was out for a day and only got reconnected late in the evening (and only then due to the actions of helpful staff from these forums working from home). Whats the betting that this was a temporary fix which was lost when the exchange rebooted?

mmm
28-06-2006, 20:02
Still no phone, no update to my mobile etc etc - so start of my goodbye to NTL - I'm getting the BT phone in the house reconnected!

MovedGoalPosts
28-06-2006, 20:06
I know it would be nice for ntl to contact you with an update, but have you tried to contact them again?

mmm
28-06-2006, 21:40
I know it would be nice for ntl to contact you with an update, but have you tried to contact them again?

Do you have any direct phone numbers for people who deal with exchange faults? I am not calling the premium rate number from my mobile to faults as they have already just passed it on!

mmm
30-06-2006, 00:27
Well some progress, someone has done something. Calling home no longer says "That number has not been recognized" it rings and rings - but not in my house! I still have something similar engaged tone when lift up the reciever. So thank you so much NTL you delete my phone number from the exchange then forget where to put it back!

Another 15 mins on phone to faults (most of the time on hold racking up the pennies to pounds) who reckon there isn't now a fault, "we reconnected it and it rings from this end - it must be a fault with your equipment."

So I now have to wait for an engineer to come out and witness the fact, so he can re-report the exchange fault (which will have to fixed by someone typing the right thing into a computer somewhere). Of course I am now under threat that the visit will be chargeable if he can isolate the fault to one of my phones, but I am quite happy to take that risk.

mmm
30-06-2006, 16:56
Engineer did not turn up between 8am and 12am as promised, what a surprise. I'll the half day holiday to my bill to you.

Fortunately someone was in when he turned up at 1.15pm to fix my broadband (I kid you not!).

Phone Fault referred back to exchange.

What a wonderful company NTL is!

Anyone else noticed that your mobile phone battery may last a week in normal use, but if it has to be used all the time needs recharging every day?

mmm
03-07-2006, 11:03
Still no phone. Again someone has done something - incoming calls now go to NTL voicemail (what's that? when I last asked it was not available in my area) and now my home phone is completely dead - no engaged tone.

Again no attempt to contact me via mobile as promised.

Any mods out there who could escalate this for me

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Another 18 mins on call to faults. Only progress is that he managed to remove the voicemail, better for callers not to be able to leave a message I can't access!

ntl insist not a problem there end and they need to book another technician call!

Of course it is so likely that someone visited my house last night, cut the cable and then enabled voicemail on the account!

Not happy - insisted to speak to a manager, none available, promised a call back to my mobile with 24 hours.

Does Richard Branson know what a wonderful business he has invested in? Well as he lives locally I will write to tell him!