PDA

View Full Version : Wrong price

akane1984
27-06-2006, 13:34
Hi quick question if a site shows wrong price for an item. and you add it to your basket and purchase it? what is laws etc about it, can the site/company refuse to sell you the item etc. .

;)

Stuart
27-06-2006, 13:37
As far as I know, they can.

TheDaddy
27-06-2006, 13:41
If it's a U.K. site I think it may be covered by the sale of goods act and therefore unless they have taken the money you offered, they can refuse the sale

brundles
27-06-2006, 13:42
I'm pretty sure you'll find something in the small print of any e-store website with something along the lines of they can't be held to the prices it shows and the website may have errors and omissions. I think they'd struggle to force someone to still buy an item at the higher price, but equally they can't be forced to sell you the item at the low price.

gaffer_gump
27-06-2006, 13:43
A price on an item is called 'an Invertation to treat' it's not a price to buy, they can refuse to sell it to you at the price shown... it's not fair bit it is correct.. :confused:

Stuart
27-06-2006, 13:46
A price on an item is called 'an Invertation to treat' it's not a price to buy, they can refuse to sell it to you at the price shown... it's not fair bit it is correct.. :confused:

When I was a student, I worked part time for Blockbuster. We were intructed to refuse to sell or rent goods if the price that came up on the computer was different to the price on the item.

akane1984
27-06-2006, 13:53
well they do have t&c saying they can refuse didnt see that before. ah well lets hope it slips under there web lol

Russ
27-06-2006, 13:55
When I worked in Tandy's we were told that the law states we can either sell the goods at the price advertised or take it off show for 24 hours and return it with the correct amount.

Saaf_laandon_mo
27-06-2006, 14:02
From my memory of A level contract law, when you take goods to a counter you are offering to buy those goods at the advertised price. The seller does not have to accept your offer. Therefore I would say this would mean that if a price is incorrect then the supermarket does not have to sell it. This precedant was set in a case involving the sale of knives to an under age youth.
The sale of goods act might have been updated since, but when supermarkets sell stuff at incorrectly advertised prices, i am sure they do so as an act of goodwill, as opposed to them being legally obliged to sell at the incorrect lower price.

TheDaddy
27-06-2006, 14:11
From my memory of A level contract law, when you take goods to a counter you are offering to buy those goods at the advertised price. The seller does not have to accept your offer. Therefore I would say this would mean that if a price is incorrect then the supermarket does not have to sell it. This precedant was set in a case involving the sale of knives to an under age youth.
The sale of goods act might have been updated since, but when supermarkets sell stuff at incorrectly advertised prices, i am sure they do so as an act of goodwill, as opposed to them being legally obliged to sell at the incorrect lower price.

Thats right it was a flick knife

Gareth
27-06-2006, 14:19
The sale of goods act might have been updated since, but when supermarkets sell stuff at incorrectly advertised prices, i am sure they do so as an act of goodwill, as opposed to them being legally obliged to sell at the incorrect lower price.Yep, see Fisher vs Bell, where just because the flicknife was on display in the shop window didn't mean it was actually for sale - as that would have been illegal. It was merely an invitation to treat, and the shop owner would have naturally refused to carry out such a transaction.

Now, it gets slightly more interesting (but only slightly... don't get your hopes up) if you purchase an item at an obviously incorrect price and the website accepts your order and gives you a transaction number. In this case, you can argue that the contract was formed, and that they're now in breach of that contract.*

Lastly, the Consumer Protection Act of '87 is also interesting (well, maybe not that interesting) as it makes it an offence for shopkeepers to knowingly give consumers a misleading price indication for an item. There's a £5K fine (I believe... but don't quote me on that) for each time a consumer was misled, and just saying "it was a mistake" doesn't necessarily absolve them from liability :)

*The get-out-of-jail-free card that is often used in these cases is that their T&C's often include something along the lines of "subject to availability", which when they realise their mistake, they suddenly take advantage of, and you discover that their stock levels were depleted before they could process your order. :(

Stuart
27-06-2006, 15:13
Yep, see Fisher vs Bell, where just because the flicknife was on display in the shop window didn't mean it was actually for sale - as that would have been illegal. It was merely an invitation to treat, and the shop owner would have naturally refused to carry out such a transaction.

Reminds of a time I was walking along the road with an incredibly posh girl who used to work at the Uni (Dad owns half of a small town somewhere). We were walking along, and she suddenly stopped and said "Look, a four foot dildo". I was slightly surprised, and yes, there was the aforemetnioned item sitting in the window of the hardware store we were passing. I never found out if he was actually selling it.

greencreeper
27-06-2006, 18:41
I would say that having completed the transaction, the contract is formed, but there'll be a way for the retailer to get out of it - always is

Marge
27-06-2006, 18:46
well they do have t&c saying they can refuse didnt see that before. ah well lets hope it slips under there web lol

So whats the item etc etc and where is it for sale ??? :angel:

TheDaddy
27-06-2006, 18:47
So whats the item etc etc and where is it for sale ??? :angel:

Now there's a question that should have been asked sooner ;)

Marge
27-06-2006, 18:50
Now there's a question that should have been asked sooner ;)

Exactly, if there's a bargain to be had then I don't want to feel like I'm missing out (not that I'm being a typical nosey woman oops: )

akane1984
29-06-2006, 09:46
the deal was desktop HP going for £54. They took the order and delivered it today but I received a SATA Caddy for the desktop describled!! LOL

Nidge
29-06-2006, 14:01
Went into Boots a few weeks ago to get a new toothbrush, I had one of them sonic toothbrushes, I needed a new one so off I toddled to Boots, the one I was looking at was £109.99 for the sonic one, I looked at it and thought this one looks a good one, I went to the checkout to pay for it, the assistant scanned it and it came up £49.99, I said that's the wrong price it should be £109.99 , the assistant said if that's what it comes up as that's what you pay it's our fault it's priced wrong not yours.:D :D :D Needless to say I was well happy.:D :D

LSainsbury
29-06-2006, 14:13
Got a Linksys WAG54GS yesterday in Currys for £59 - should have been £84.99 - bargin!

zing_deleted
29-06-2006, 14:21
if you buy online and get a confirmation of sale and moneys are taken then thats a binding contract.If at any point beforehand they realise there mistake they can refuse to sell

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

the deal was desktop HP going for £54. They took the order and delivered it today but I received a SATA Caddy for the desktop describled!! LOL

Send it back under distance selling rules you have 7 days.However if all your correspondence says its for a tower then take them to court you will win

cookie_365
29-06-2006, 20:43
Even if an online retailer has taken payment and confirmed the order, they could pull out of it under the doctrine of unilateral mistake, but only if the mistake was so obvious you should have known it wasn't the right price.

Threre's a car ad at the moment where a couple have the dealer wired to a lie detector as they cant believe the car is so cheap - so that company'll have a hard time arguing unilateral mistake if they price it wrong ;)

Gareth
30-06-2006, 16:40

So whats the item etc etc and where is it for sale ??? :angel:Maybe it's a 4-foot dildo!?! :Yikes:

Legendary_PSR
30-06-2006, 19:21
if the price is lower than it should be, they have to sell it to you at that price, or refuse to sell it

if the price is higher than it should be, they have to sell it to you at the price it should be

either way, the price is wrong, so it's technically illegal