PDA

View Full Version : New modem

Isonstine
26-06-2006, 16:21
Hello all!

I've recently upgraded to 10Mb but am getting rather poor speeds - averaging just under 4Mb most of the time (some of the time it does tend to go a bit higher but not much).

I've got an ntl 100 modem and I understand that it isn't fully compatible with 10Mb. But I happened to speak to a mate who had an ntl 250 modem that he no longer needed after cancelling ntl. I haven't connected it up yet as I've read it's not possible to simply swap the modems over...that's if it would make it any better anyway!

What's the best way forward, would I need to get in touch with ntl personally to actually install a modem from them?

If I could do it myself or without an engineer that would be great, but any general advice would be gratefully received.

Radeon
26-06-2006, 16:37
I had the same issues, I upgraded to 10mb when it came out but as I had an NTL 100 modem I was only getting half the speed.

I phoned NTL and they came around the next day with a brand new NTL 250 modem ( the small blue ones ), the engineer fitted it and I instantly had 10mb and had no problems since.

You will not bee able to instal the modem yourself as an NTL engineer will need to register the MAC address of the modem which you will not be able to do, plus it's NTL's property anyway.

Phone NTL and explain you have on old mode that won't work properly with 10mb and they should send out an engineer and replace your old silver modem with a nice new blue one :).