PDA

View Full Version : Desks

greencreeper
25-06-2006, 18:17
Or even a workstation. I'm sure there was a thread on this subject but I can't find it :erm:

Why are they not designed properly? Too small to fit the mouse next to the keyboard. Shelves for the mouse and keyboard - at different heights, so not ergonomic, and the keyboard shelf is on cheapo bearings, so one side seizes within a week and you have to use your foot to brace against the desk/workstation. Monitor at the wrong height and not adjustable. Useless shelf under the main shelf - meant to be for a printer but who wants to rummage in the dark under a desk/workstation to fit an ink cartridge? And the paper is ejected into your legs. Not sturdy enough, so when your Deskjet is at full tilt, on that useless shelf, the whole desk/workstation wobbles in time to the carriage head. Just a nightmare.

My last workstation/desk went in the bin because the keyboard shelf seized. The current one, an Ikea special, is way too small and has the useless shelf - which I don't use at all. Just holds dust at the moment. It has a couple of metal arms that are meant to strap the PC base unit to the side. This is fine except that the workstation/desk vibrates when I use the CD player. I've had to put the base unit on the floor. It was a nightmare to build too.

MovedGoalPosts
25-06-2006, 18:19
I just use a standard table.

Stuart
25-06-2006, 18:30
At work, we actually have custom designed desks. Basically, large tables with a hole to put the cables in. Absolutely awful. They look like bad Ikea clones.

At home, I bought a fairly heavy duty computer desk from Focus DIY. My only complaint with it is because of the awful shelving unit attached to the top (which I can't remove as it would weaken the unit too much), I don't have room for dual monitors.

greencreeper
25-06-2006, 18:58
Yeah - we have tables with holes at work. Very old and some have sagged a bit in the middle. They don't spend money on the staff so they're not likely to spend on furniture. Probably struggle to tell the difference anyway.

I just want a nice workstation - robust, room enough for keyboard and mouse but not too big, adjustable monitor shelf, and somewhere to put a full tower so it's not sucking in carpet fibres and dust.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:44 ----------

Just come across an Ikea workstation where the keyboard shelf slides under the desk BUT there isn't room for the keyboard. Presumably you just chuck it over the other side of the desk :rolleyes:

Timeless Stew
25-06-2006, 19:04
http://www.furnitureatwork.co.uk/

I have the value line at home and work. Several places sell it. It's very strong!

Ramrod
25-06-2006, 19:21
Nice glass desk (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=41046&highlight=glass+desk) perhaps? :D

greencreeper
25-06-2006, 19:23
Ah yes - remember that thread. Where did you get it from - was it custom-built?

Anonymouse
25-06-2006, 19:34
I know exactly what you mean about not having enough space for the mouse on a desk. The desks you can buy are never, IMO, wide enough...so I built mine. It wouldn't win any design awards, the only (non-moving) shelf supports the monitor, and it's only made out of chipboard, screws and brackets...but it's about 20 years old and still serves me well enough at 3' wide.

In the pre-mouse days, when I had a Sharp MZ-700, the desk was plenty wide enough to hold the computer plus whatever hard copy I was referring to. When I got my Atari ST in 1988, I found it was still wide enough for the mouse on one side of the keyboard and papers on the other. Now I have a PC, and it's still wide enough...although the DVDs currently cluttering the desk are getting a bit out of hand. :erm:

Admittedly I don't have the printer on it; that lives on top of the base unit, which in turn lives on a metal shelf unit off to one side. I have had a mad plan in the back of my mind for some time now to build a wider, perhaps corner-based version, that would hold the monitor and the printer, but I never seem to get around to it.

spiderplant
25-06-2006, 20:00
Try ebay. I got an ex-drawing office desk for a fiver. It's huge - tower PC, 19" CRT screen, mouse, keyboard, speakers, printer and scanner all fit comfortably. Had to take the house apart to get it in though.

Our other computer table is a piece of cheap kitchen worktop supported on two Ikea trestles. Simple but does the job.

greencreeper
25-06-2006, 23:34
Hmmm. Might have to see what I can with a bit of old worktop and a couple of legs :scratch:

bopdude
26-06-2006, 03:16
Hmmm. Might have to see what I can with a bit of old worktop and a couple of legs :scratch:

LOL, I know your joking ( well half joking ) but I'm in a similar prediament, wanting a decent sized station and am seriously thinking of having a go at building it myself :scratch: can't be too hard, can it :shrug: :D

Enuff
26-06-2006, 03:38
This is mine (http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/31693_PE121155_S4.jpg), liked it that much, I bought another for my son. It all adjusts to how u want it, and it's a solid build. we bought them about 5 years ago from Ikea (Warrington). mine currently holds a 17" and 19" monitor with plenty more room to spare.

Nidge
26-06-2006, 05:06
I have a proper office desk that cost me £40 out of the local Ad Mag last year, it's got draws on either side, the desk space is amazing, there's enough space for my 17inch FLT monitor and my laser printer with loads of room to spare. I used to have a one with a slide out keyboard table but I was getting bad shoulders with there being no support for my arms.

greencreeper
26-06-2006, 06:54
Note: I've just woke up - struggling to get the second eye open.

LOL, I know your joking ( well half joking ) but I'm in a similar prediament, wanting a decent sized station and am seriously thinking of having a go at building it myself :scratch: can't be too hard, can it :shrug: :D
Amazing what you find in skips these days. Could make it with mannequin legs, for that designer look.

This is mine (http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/31693_PE121155_S4.jpg), liked it that much, I bought another for my son. It all adjusts to how u want it, and it's a solid build. we bought them about 5 years ago from Ikea (Warrington). mine currently holds a 17" and 19" monitor with plenty more room to spare.
That's the Jerker range, or something like that. Will have to a have a look when I'm at Ikea next Wednesday. I think it's next Wednesday :erm:

Know what you mean about the keyboard support, nidge.

skyblueheroes
26-06-2006, 06:54
Nice glass desk (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=41046&highlight=glass+desk) perhaps? :D

Show off ;) :D

Ramrod
26-06-2006, 08:16
Ah yes - remember that thread. Where did you get it from - was it custom-built?Got it from an importer......they make them in Italy.
Show off :D

Jules
26-06-2006, 09:44
We got ours from Argos they are big enough for what we need and are sturdy

bjorkiii
26-06-2006, 10:15
I got mine from a skip when they closed down a local school its a eyesore and heavy but it does the job.

greencreeper
26-06-2006, 18:46
Got it from an importer......they make them in Italy.
:D
Hmmm. How's a chirowhasit afford to import a designer Italian desk? Other than the provision of "extras" :p: :D Some of us have to make do with skip contents and kitchen worktops.

Skatoony
26-06-2006, 23:36
Just come across an Ikea workstation where the keyboard shelf slides under the desk BUT there isn't room for the keyboard. Presumably you just chuck it over the other side of the desk :rolleyes:I don't quite understand why I find that so funny but oh well :D

I'm having a bit of a crisis with this desk I have now. I want a new mousepad, but all the gaming ones are far too big to fit on the desk it's self, and I can't find one small enough to stay on the desk :erm:

Millay
27-06-2006, 17:38
I have this from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId=10103&storeId=7&productId=11496&langId=-20&categoryId=16129&chosenPartNumber=50063919

It has absolutly no wobble and would fit 3-4 19" lcd's no problem... my best Ikea buy yet.. well actually the lamp works wel with it to:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15600&catalogId=10103&storeId=7&productId=10789&langId=-20&categoryId=15767&chosenPartNumber=30018560

greencreeper
27-06-2006, 18:35
I'm having a bit of a crisis with this desk I have now. I want a new mousepad, but all the gaming ones are far too big to fit on the desk it's self, and I can't find one small enough to stay on the desk :erm:
Exactly - mouse mat hangs off the edge and if you're not careful, the mouse and mat go clattering to the floor. It's the issue I have with my current workstation - insufficient space.

I have this from IKEA
Hmmm. Will have to have a look when I'm there next Wednesday.