PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a job.

Nidge
25-06-2006, 15:30
Right got my CV sorted now how to do the letter? I'm crap at letters, any ideas folks?

MovedGoalPosts
25-06-2006, 15:35
er what sort of job?

Is it a response to an advert, or just speculative?

Generally your CV does the talking, the letter just wants to be brief and state your availablity for interview. If there is information required by an advert not covered by CV - salary is usually a sticking point - you'll need to provide that, but don't give away too much. The whole idea is for you to get that interview.

Nidge
25-06-2006, 15:38
er what sort of job?

Is it a response to an advert, or just speculative?

Generally your CV does the talking, the letter just wants to be brief and state your availablity for interview. If there is information required by an advert not covered by CV - salary is usually a sticking point - you'll need to provide that, but don't give away too much. The whole idea is for you to get that interview.

Speculative Rob. A guy who I know has given me some inside info on a job thats coming vacant soon where he works.

Paul K
25-06-2006, 15:43
Your letter is rarely the important part of the process as Rob says, most of the work is done by your CV which needs to be clear, well laid out and relevant to the position as well as your application form itself which should contain all information requested (personal statements should be written specifically for each form you fill in).
Most of the time your letter will be glanced at and then put to one side while the forms and CV are checked.

MovedGoalPosts
25-06-2006, 15:51
In which case, keep it simple, something along the lines of:

Dear xyz

I understand (you could say who from - depends if it's confidential or not) that you may soon have a vacancy for a abc. I should be grateful if your would consider me for this position.

State why you are interested in the job, but keep it to a couple of sentences. Is it promotion? would you need training? What would you be bringing to the firm?

My curriculum vitae is attached for your reference.

I would look forward to discussing the job with you and how I could assist your company. Please telephone me on ### in order that we could arrange an interview at a mutually convienient time.

yours sincerely
Nidge

(NB if you don't know the name of the person you are writing to - and it's a Dear Sir letter (wouldn't be that good given that you have a lead into the company) sign off as Yours faithfully.

You need to have the letter in your own, not somebody else's words.

Final point, if you were to get the job, you don't want half the firm to know all your personal details. Make sure you send the letter in an envelope marked Private & confidential, even if it's going to a personnel type department.

TheDaddy
25-06-2006, 15:54
Your letter is rarely the important part of the process as Rob says, most of the work is done by your CV which needs to be clear, well laid out and relevant to the position as well as your application form itself which should contain all information requested (personal statements should be written specifically for each form you fill in).
Most of the time your letter will be glanced at and then put to one side while the forms and CV are checked.

You are right the letter is only important if you write it poorly, as for your C.V. as you are targeting it for a specific position I would surgest you try to keep it as short as possible ;)

Chris W
26-06-2006, 02:00
have a search of www.prospects.ac.uk for advice on writing a cover letter- it is aimed at graduates but should give you some help still. I am sure i found some good information on there before.