PDA

View Full Version : anyway to change ip?

m|ke
24-06-2006, 17:31
Hey, i wondered if it is possible to change your ip address on ntl, I am worried someone is going to try and hack me.

thx
Mike

Hugh
24-06-2006, 17:37
Hey, i wondered if it is possible to change your ip address on ntl, I am worried someone is going to try and hack me.

thx
Mike

Mike, do you have a firewall?
If so, this should hide your IP address; if not, get one quick (ZoneAlarm has a free version).

Aragorn
24-06-2006, 21:38
Short answer is maybe!
You can turn your modem of for a period of time (prob at least 24 hrs) your IP might be re-used, but you can't guarantee.
However, getting an new IP is unlikely to affect you risk of being hacked.
As Foreverwar says, make sure you have a firewall in place (windows XP SP2 should be sufficient). Also make sure you apply windows security patches.
I doubt anyone would bother 'manually' hacking an NTL IP address - a lot of effort to try and find bank details by hand. You are probably more at risk of automatic worms attacking an uppatched windows bug or downloading a virus/trojan.
HTH

Chris W
24-06-2006, 23:37
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=90

popper
25-06-2006, 01:17
as a side note:
regarding installing a firewall, neuromancer over on http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showpost.php?p=49447&postcount=33 had been trying to solve the reason why windows xp is consistently slower
than any linux live cd and seems to think after much testing that "Zonealarm firewall (latest build)" is the reason for the large slowdown on 4meg package.

Stu038
26-06-2006, 19:34
as a side note:
regarding installing a firewall, neuromancer over on http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showpost.php?p=49447&postcount=33 had been trying to solve the reason why windows xp is consistently slower
than any linux live cd and seems to think after much testing that "Zonealarm firewall (latest build)" is the reason for the large slowdown on 4meg package.

I don't know about connection speeds but its certainly added almost a minute to my boot time :(

neo123
26-06-2006, 21:02
There are a few ways you can change IP.. if you use search you will see them. But there are a certain few out there that like to attack one IP address, especially if your dealing with someone on a personal level.

I found that in my router.. just by releasing and renewing within the router setting would grab me a new IP, very strange, but hey im not complaining. I have a few more subnets now too... whereas previously i only had 2.

Chrysalis
28-06-2006, 19:38
the quickest way is changing your mac.

Richy99
29-06-2006, 23:59
the quickest way is changing your mac.

what if he is using a pc? ;)

dev
30-06-2006, 01:00
what if he is using a pc? ;)

he was meaning the mac address of your network card ;)

Richy99
30-06-2006, 10:53
he was meaning the mac address of your network card ;)

yeah i know he did, but did the ones that no onothing about computers know and would tnhey no how to do it?

Chris W
30-06-2006, 11:59
they would if they read the article i linked to in post #4 ;)