PDA

View Full Version : 10mbit - 4mbit but no change in speed?

Mauldor
24-06-2006, 13:34
I was on the 10mbit Service and was more then happy with the speeds etc but as I dont spend as much time sat in front of the PC (at work) and the fact I have 100Mbit Both ways at work means It was pointless payig the £34.99 a month.

I called yesterday and asked to downgrade to 4mbit (or whatever speed they have these days) - the £24.99 package. It was a bit annoying to have to call an 0845 number to do this and be waiting for ages to get though (been charged all the time I guess). Now my Speeds are a bit wierd, I did a bandwidth tested yesterday and today and the results come out as 10mbit download and 400K upload.

Now do I need to call Again to make sure I am on the 4mbit service and will only get billed £24.99? ? Did the woman on the phone really change my service level, were do I stand if they try and bill me £34.99 for example? When a Bill comes in and I do get charged say £34.99 - will it be there word vs mine, do they even log the calls people make?

If I have to, I will call again - I just get this feeling my account was not changed and I have to spend yet more money to call again..

Any thoughts?

Chris W
24-06-2006, 13:39
have a look at the event log to see which config file your modem has...

instructions here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#cmlog

Mauldor
24-06-2006, 13:56
Modem is SB4100 and I dont think it shows what file is received these days (it used to) - only line I can see is:

*** BOOTING *** SB4100-0.4.9.4-SCM02-NOSH

Ive attached the Log though Just in case you can see it..

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

Right, I rang again and this is what Happened, she had changed the billing side but not done the modem side. You might say I was foolish to check into this and could have had 10mbit for the price of 4mbit BUT I personally would not have noticed the difference anyhow as I do not download a lot or on a great deal and if an Audit had been done I could have been Back-Billed more then liekly..

So will be on 4mbit and billed as such..