PDA

View Full Version : broadban keeps disconnecting when downloading

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 13:01
hi guys and girls, been a while since i had a problem with NTL but this has now happened....when im using bit comet or other DL programs, for some reason every 5 - 10 mins, the broadband disconnects and i get the box in the bottom right near the clock in the task bar saying NTL has limited or no connectivity...then sayings a network cable is unplugged, then a few seconds later it will connect itself back up again.but then in ten mins time same will happen....it gets worse when i try and use internet explorer at the same time?

but when surfing the net using IE it never looses the connection...just when i am DL things...

the modem is lan wired to the pc, im running windows XP SP2 and have the 10meg broadband

please help :D

Chris W
24-06-2006, 13:17
which cable modem are you using?

is it an ntl:home 120 per chance?

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 13:25
its the silver modem...had it for about 3 years now.....and it only drops a connection when im downloading files :(

sirsimon
24-06-2006, 13:27
its the silver modem...had it for about 3 years now.....and it only drops a connection when im downloading files :(

maybe turn the modem over and look for a number on its underside area ?
i.e. ntl : 200 or ntl: 120 this probable would help people better to understand Ok

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 13:32
ntl home 100 :D

banjo
24-06-2006, 13:54
I had this problem and it turned out to be an intermittent fault with the Ethernet cable connecting my computer to the router

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 13:55
I had this problem and it turned out to be an intermittent fault with the Ethernet cable connecting my computer to the router

will change the cable now....BUT why would it only do it when im downloading big files?

banjo
24-06-2006, 14:04
will change the cable now....BUT why would it only do it when im downloading big files?

Could be a poor connection on either end of the cable or the sockets, I suppose you would notice it more when downloading, or, it might not be either of these things but I just thought I would make you aware of the possibility as sometimes something silly things can drive you round the bend, let us know how you get on :angel:

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 15:06
Could be a poor connection on either end of the cable or the sockets, I suppose you would notice it more when downloading, or, it might not be either of these things but I just thought I would make you aware of the possibility as sometimes something silly things can drive you round the bend, let us know how you get on :angel:

ill change the cable now...then start downloading a album again...and see what happens....thanks so far guys :D:cool:

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

just a update...no change of ethernet cable BUT if i download one file at a time, it does not drop my connection???

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

think i know what it is now, im using bit coment to download things, also bitlord...and i think it is something to do with the maximum upload and download speeds...i have them set to 60kb up and 60kb down...and this seems to be holding the connection now...did have it set to unlimited...i increased it to 70 up and down but then it started dropping the connection.....

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

but when i dl something from limewire at the same time = connection drops!! getting frustrated now :(

Down the Pub
24-06-2006, 16:38
maybe turn the modem over and look for a number on its underside area ?
i.e. ntl : 200 or ntl: 120 this probable would help people better to understand Ok
thought there was a thread a while ago regarding compatable modem for 10Mb, and i can't remember for the life of me which ones were, on another note when i went to upgrade to 10Mb the cs rep said that it would £50 odd quid(ore something like that) to upgrade as she said my modem wasn't compatable.

And she didn't belive me when i told her the NTL:250 is, shen finally had to go and check with a techie, and then conceded i was right......so don't let 'em fob you off :nono:

end of warble.......time for a :beer:

homealone
24-06-2006, 16:51
think i know what it is now, im using bit coment to download things, also bitlord...and i think it is something to do with the maximum upload and download speeds...i have them set to 60kb up and 60kb down...and this seems to be holding the connection now...did have it set to unlimited...i increased it to 70 up and down but then it started dropping the connection.....

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

but when i dl something from limewire at the same time = connection drops!! getting frustrated now :(

I think your problem is that you are saturating the upload connection, something that is very easy to do at less than the theoretical bitrate for each tier. The 512Mb's theoretical on 10meg 'should' equate to around 60KB/s, but in practice you can start dropping 'ack' packets well before that (don't know why) - the suggestion is that you throttle your total upload to less than around 25KB/s, that 'should' stop the disconnections, then you can tweak it up, in stages, and try to find the 'sweet spot'.

Slyder
24-06-2006, 20:14
The modem is the problem. I had the 120 and it couldnt cope with 10meg, so I upgraded to the 250. All problems were sorted the day I was given a modem that could do the job.

Make sure your modem has an "accident" NTL will come out and replace it with the new 250 model which can handle the 10meg speed. ;)

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 20:36
i have changed the upload to 25kb and download to 60kb and it seems good at the moment....and the modem might have a accident later...hmmmm ;)

homealone
24-06-2006, 20:45
i have changed the upload to 25kb and download to 60kb and it seems good at the moment....and the modem might have a accident later...hmmmm ;)

you may be able to try tweaking the upload a little higher, first ;) - let us know how you get on :)

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 21:11
you may be able to try tweaking the upload a little higher, first ;) - let us know how you get on :)

ill give that a go gradually tonight....but download is proportioanl(sp lol) to upload speed you see :o:

homealone
24-06-2006, 21:32

ill give that a go gradually tonight....but download is proportioanl(sp lol) to upload speed you see :o:

Up to a point, I'm no expert, but subjectively I have found not much difference between download speeds from torrents, when setting relatively slow upload rates.

I found this most noticeable if downloading two torrents at the same time, with the upload throttled to 15KB/s on my 2meg connection. Despite both streams uploading at 7KB/s each, one download could be 10KB/s, while the other might go to 50KB/s.

Seeding is such a pain like that, though :)

mark_hamilton
24-06-2006, 22:09
best i can get without it dropping the connection is 30kb up and 60kb down...if i make the kb any higher it drops connection almost instantly :(

homealone
24-06-2006, 22:47
best i can get without it dropping the connection is 30kb up and 60kb down...if i make the kb any higher it drops connection almost instantly :(

Looks like you have found a workable configuration, I would set the upload nearer 25KB, myself, but I do a fair amount of browsing, as well as downloading torrents, so I need a certain amount of overhead on the upload :)

mark_hamilton
25-06-2006, 14:36
well i have just installed the tweaknow powerpack 2006 and tweaked the internet settings to what it recocmeneds for a 1.5mg+ connections....and guess what? im now downloading programs with unlimmited up and dl speeds and it has not dropped the connection once yet :D and the total DL speed at the mo is 180kb and up load is 45kb