PDA

View Full Version : Am I to old for full contact

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 15:36
Ok short back ground 20 started trained in full contact kickboxing and lau gar kung fu and a couple of other styles(all kung fu) till I was 27/28.I did get quite handy at the full contact.
Ok marrage divorce and stress bought on a gut and ive battled this for a long time.Well im winning the battle starting to work out again and feel the urge to do something.Question is is 36, bare in mind it will be a year before I go in the ring, to old for full contact and if it is what shall I do. I dont want no contact need to hit and be hit imo so any ideas???

Hugh
23-06-2006, 15:49
Go for it - give yourself a goal.

What do you have to lose (well, besides teeth and kidneys).

danielf
23-06-2006, 15:51
Just take your crutches into the ring. They will give you that extra bit of reach.

Ramrod
23-06-2006, 15:54
I wouldn't have thought you were too old for full contact m8. just train carefully and build up to it....you have the right body type for it (not like me) :D

orangebird
23-06-2006, 15:56
What Rammy said - make sure you're fully up to it before you do it, but definitely go for it. :tu:

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 15:58
Cool thats really what I wanted to hear.I still got weight to lose and I used to teach it so I knwo I wont be ready for a good while but I really fancy the buzz again :)

orangebird
23-06-2006, 16:01
Cool thats really what I wanted to hear.I still got weight to lose and I used to teach it so I knwo I wont be ready for a good while but I really fancy the buzz again :)
This will really excelerate your weight loss too. :)

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 16:04
yeah im hoping to be down to a healthy weight by christmas ive already lost over 5 stone im winning this time no doubt in my mind :)

pedantic
23-06-2006, 16:04
Damn ! I looked at the thread title, and couldn't look quick enough. Totally gutted now, it's about something completely different. oops: :Sprint:

kronas
23-06-2006, 16:07
Damn ! I looked at the thread title, and couldn't look quick enough. Totally gutted now, it's about something completely different. oops: :Sprint:

yep me too, i thought it was about physical contact of another sort :naughty:

in all seriousness you should give it a go zingle, eat well, sleep well, do a bit of excercise in between to limber up, if you have not abused your body then you should be fine, not a weakling like me though :eek:

Russ
23-06-2006, 16:09
I know it's a completely different genre but I know some pro wrestlers about your age - ok they don't take full punches to the face etc but their whole bodies take a lot of punishment. The only difference really between them and the younger guys is the 30-somethings usually take longer to recover between shows.

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 16:12
So it looks like its go time to get my kit out (think ill buy a new box and gum sheild lol)

Ramrod
23-06-2006, 17:00
(think ill buy a new box and gum sheild lol)I had my gum shield custom made for me.....much more comfortable.....cost £20 from my dentist.....

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 17:01
hope he didnt provide you with a custom box as well lol lol

eddie00001
23-06-2006, 17:02
Keep the box, use it as your secret weapon :D

Ramrod
23-06-2006, 17:06
hope he didnt provide you with a custom box as well lol lolNow that I wouldn't have a cast made of! :D

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 17:08
lol if ever you do shave your pubes first ;)

PWS
23-06-2006, 18:46
I really fancy the buzz again :)

Go to your local twon centre at kicking out time....jump the taxi queue...that will give you the buzz your after and see how fit you are.
Thats where the local full contact is here in Swansea :)

U trained before so you know what it took.....just go a little slower and you may not be as nimble as you remeber....so....go for it and you will have a wiser older head so will know when to hold and when to open :)

Good Luck

Ramrod
23-06-2006, 18:51
you will have a wiser older head so will know when to hold and when to open :)

Good LuckHe has an older head but I'm not sure about the wiser bit :D

ikthius
23-06-2006, 18:52
go for it zing, you will fight in either age cats or wieght cats so you'll do fine.

how far did you get in Lau Gar?

ik

Nidge
23-06-2006, 19:08
Ok short back ground 20 started trained in full contact kickboxing and lau gar kung fu and a couple of other styles(all kung fu) till I was 27/28.I did get quite handy at the full contact.
Ok marrage divorce and stress bought on a gut and ive battled this for a long time.Well im winning the battle starting to work out again and feel the urge to do something.Question is is 36, bare in mind it will be a year before I go in the ring, to old for full contact and if it is what shall I do. I dont want no contact need to hit and be hit imo so any ideas???

Go for it mate I still go to the gym and I feel good when I've finished, I also do boxing once a week.

Escapee
23-06-2006, 19:24
Go for it mate I still go to the gym and I feel good when I've finished, I also do boxing once a week.

I have always wanted to go back, I only went for a very short time when I was younger. I feel at 40 though I'm too old to start again, the problem is I have felt that all the way through my 30's.

I still have pretty good reflexes and a wiser head on my shoulder, I feel these days I can handle bigger guys that I couldn't when I was younger. I guess its all down to being a bit crafty when you have a bit of experience.

I still work out with the floor to ceiling ball and punch bag, I also go on "fast walks":D It doesn't however seem to make me loose any weight, it just gives me a bigger appetite.

I guess its just old age.;)

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 20:55
go for it zing, you will fight in either age cats or wieght cats so you'll do fine.

how far did you get in Lau Gar?

ik

I trained with Humphrey Broomes and Adrian Tunnicliff both of these guy spilt towards the end of the last centry lol
Unfortunatly my higher grades dont stand as they were never properly sanctified by the BKFA :(

KingPhoenix
23-06-2006, 23:34
Go for it mate..... enjoy yourself!!! I took up extreme contact fighting a fair few months ago, but found getting knocked around with lack of alcohol in the system quite painful and subsequently gave up... Gemma didnt appreciate the bruised and battered look either, but whilst it was padded training... i quite enjoyed it... also whilst drunk having a spar with Bop at the last lan, again thoroughly enjoyed....

Go for it mate....!!!!!!!

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 23:35
Id be up for a bit of that I think might look to see if theres any of that near me ;)

KingPhoenix
23-06-2006, 23:46
Like it rough do ya??? ;) :D

zing_deleted
23-06-2006, 23:47
oh yeah :) have you ever tried full contact basket ball lol lol now thats fun

handyman
24-06-2006, 00:26
Have you ever tried full contact 'super bomber man'?

Basically you sit side by side and if you blow up your oponent you get to dish some pain :), all adds to the fun. Quite miss living with bop and THOP (the hall of pain) basically you could expect to be ambushed in the hall :) :erm:

bopdude
24-06-2006, 01:32
Go for it Zing, still in your prime years but with enough age to know not to go in all guns blazing, untill the time's right ;) :tu:

KP / HM stop picking on me or else :ninja: :bsmack:

Nidge
24-06-2006, 05:58
I have always wanted to go back, I only went for a very short time when I was younger. I feel at 40 though I'm too old to start again, the problem is I have felt that all the way through my 30's.

I still have pretty good reflexes and a wiser head on my shoulder, I feel these days I can handle bigger guys that I couldn't when I was younger. I guess its all down to being a bit crafty when you have a bit of experience.

I still work out with the floor to ceiling ball and punch bag, I also go on "fast walks":D It doesn't however seem to make me loose any weight, it just gives me a bigger appetite.

I guess its just old age.;)

Motivation is the answer mate, once you get through the gym doors your laughing, I love the feeling when I've come out of the gym, mind you I don't like the feeling 2 hours later when I'm a sleep on the sofa. If you eat a good balanced diet 5-6 small meals a day with a mixture of protiens and complex carbs for energy, have one day a week where you let yourself go, basically you can eat anything, my day is a Sunday where I eat anything that I can get my hands on, chips, followed by puddings with loads of custard. If you are strict all week your body needs a blowout once a week. When I've had a blowout on a Sunday and I go to the gym on a Monday I my strength has gone up no end. Give it a go mate.

Jules
24-06-2006, 14:11
Never seen the need for full contact sports but there again I hate boxing etc, any way as long as you are fit enough there is no reason you couldn't do it.

Good luck and stay safe

Nidge
24-06-2006, 18:22
Never seen the need for full contact sports but there again I hate boxing etc, any way as long as you are fit enough there is no reason you couldn't do it.

Good luck and stay safe

I just box with a heavy bag, a lad comes with me when we do sparring but it's not contact.

punky
24-06-2006, 18:51
I don't think you should be listening to us, even people in the know like Grandmaster, for one beause we don't know what shape you are in over the Internet.

You really need professional advice from people who are experienced in your situation. I'd ask one of your old senseis maybe, or someone involved with full contact sports at a senior level.

Your health is one of the most important things to you. Its to precious to really on laymen and laywomen guessing about what you should/shouldn't do. Not worth the gamble. :2cents:

I mean no disrespect to anyone though, but something's really need an informed opinion.

zing_deleted
24-06-2006, 19:01
Im not fit enough to fight now I know that and I do realise before I am ring fit im looking at 18 months of effort and hard work.Ive asked around and as soon as I find a desent club im gonna start laying the foundations.Got a few mates who wanna do a bit with me my handworks sound so ill just box em ;)

budwieser
24-06-2006, 19:08
Im not fit enough to fight now I know that and I do realise before I am ring fit im looking at 18 months of effort and hard work.Ive asked around and as soon as I find a desent club im gonna start laying the foundations.Got a few mates who wanna do a bit with me my handworks sound so ill just box em ;)

Go for it Mate, Take some Chavs in as sparring partners.!;)
A bit of incentive there.:D

kronas
24-06-2006, 19:09
Go for it Mate, Take some Chavs in as sparring partners.!;)
A bit of incentive there.:D

make sure they are drunk on cider first, atleast they will put up a bit of a fight :p: ;)