PDA

View Full Version : £9.99 NTL Broadband - Slower Than Dial Up?

DanWilde1966
22-06-2006, 21:01
Why is NTL Broadband (on the cheapest package) slower - way slower - than my old dial-up?

On my laptop, with a basic AOL dial-up connection, I could zip through Ebay, zip through Amazon, zip through my favourite websites... The only thing I couldn't do was play Quake III Arena online.

Now, with NTL Broadband, it's a waste of time trying to shop on Amazon. Pages time-out, and when they do load, it's often after about five minutes of waiting.

The NTL man who knocked on the door the other day (trying to flog us some other naff product), bellowed with laughter when we told him we had the £9.99 package. "That's the reason it's slow," he said. But surely, even the cheapest broadband package should be faster than my old dial-up connection? :confused:

Chris W
22-06-2006, 21:09
:welcome:

yes it should be a 1meg connection. have you contacted tech support about your slow speeds?

DanWilde1966
22-06-2006, 21:17
:welcome:

yes it should be a 1meg connection. have you contacted tech support about your slow speeds?
No -- this is clearly something we should do.

It took us a day to install broadband. The NTL guy came round and said it would be as simple as following the instructions on the installation disc. I wasn't so sure, of course, and hey presto -- we spent a day ringing technical support lines, and had to make a trip to buy an ethernet card, before we could get the internet to run through the cable modem. The net has been slow ever since...

Chris W
22-06-2006, 21:26
have a look at the article here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=22

to find out a bit about testing your speed...

no offence but you sound like a bit of a novice (yes i am biased since you hvae said you used to be an AOL customer) but we are a nice lot here so can provide you lots of help to get your connection running up to speed :)

DanWilde1966
22-06-2006, 21:31
have a look at the article here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=22

to find out a bit about testing your speed...

no offence but you sound like a bit of a novice (yes i am biased since you hvae said you used to be an AOL customer) but we are a nice lot here so can provide you lots of help to get your connection running up to speed :)
No offence taken, and thanks for the link. Also, thanks for the offer of help! :tu:

dcclanuk
22-06-2006, 22:13
i play QUAKE 3 ARENA! Wats ur username there? and wat servers do u play on?

texas.... eRa... UE.. ring any bells? ;)

maybe start a CF clan :D

DanWilde1966
22-06-2006, 23:32

Alas, I have been having too much fun and games trying to get webpages to load quicker than dial-up; I haven't got round to setting up the Quake III game yet!

Strangely, I downloaded a speed-tester for the connection I have, and the diagnosis was that my connection has no problems in any department. Why, then, do pages take such a long time to load?

IanGuy
22-06-2006, 23:38
It may be a DNS problem. Could you please tell us which area you live in (City). We can then tell you what settings you can change in order to get a faster response time.

If you don't want to post those details here, you can PM me and I can sort you out.

DanWilde1966
23-06-2006, 00:08
It may be a DNS problem. Could you please tell us which area you live in (City). We can then tell you what settings you can change in order to get a faster response time.

If you don't want to post those details here, you can PM me and I can sort you out.
No problem. We live in south east London -- Plumstead, in fact.

Graham M
23-06-2006, 07:43

Is your "h" "y" "o" and "'" key faulty?

southwell
23-06-2006, 09:57
£9.99? I can only find it for 17.99! My gf is getting NTL, is the £9.99 one and introductory offer?

dcclanuk
23-06-2006, 10:29
Is your "h" "y" "o" and "'" key faulty?

hehe, nobutmyspacebarsometimesdecidestonotwork!;)

jus kidding!

there goes my "T" key :dunce::D

Down the Pub
23-06-2006, 11:22
could always try changing the connection proxy. found if some sites i use a bit slow loading, changing the proxy most of the time works for me.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#ntl

DanWilde1966
23-06-2006, 12:09
£9.99? I can only find it for 17.99! My gf is getting NTL, is the £9.99 one and introductory offer?
My girlfriend set the contract up -- I will inquire... :)

IanGuy
23-06-2006, 13:19
Try changing your proxy settings in your browser.

This involves you (if using internet explorer) going to tools > internet options > Connections > LAN Settings.

Tick the "Use a proxy server" box. And copy this in to the first field below:

glfd-cache-1.server.ntli.net

The second field you should type 8080.

This might clear up your browsing problems.

dragon
23-06-2006, 14:53
What quake 3? Oh haven't played that in a while, I suck at it (im the one with the really high number procceded by a - as i seem to be the master at stepping backwards into lava pits, off the edge of the level.etc) wouldn't mind a game sometime though.

DanWilde1966
23-06-2006, 22:39

This involves you (if using internet explorer) going to tools > internet options > Connections > LAN Settings.

Thanks for this. I will try this procedure tomorrow and get back to you...

DanWilde1966
24-06-2006, 15:52

Your solution seems to have worked! Many thanks for the help. Amazon, Ebay, etc., are now loading at the speeds I would have expected from broadband. :tu:

jem
24-06-2006, 15:59
It'll be fine for a little while; but you just know what will happen now, everyone reading this thread will point their browsers at the Guildford proxies until they keel over under the load.

The Ashford one's seem good as well -but everyone else stay off-they're mine, all mine I tell you!:)