PDA

View Full Version : A question for motorists

Graham M
21-06-2006, 23:49
There's a long straight road near Bournemouth International Airport with no Street Lights and no speed limit signs, how fast do you think the speed limit is? I was driving down it the other night at 40 (to be on the safe side) and there was a queue of cars travelling behind me and none of them seemed to be complaining (bearing in mind that I am a learner with L plates and most motorists (ok a lot of them) would normally jump at the chance to overtake, but didn't) anyone any clue on the Speed limit in this situation? Was I correct at 40 or should it have been faster or slower... I know that on a lit street with no speed signs you should assume 30 (especially in a built up area) but there are no houses at the side of this road.

Millay
22-06-2006, 00:02
You can also look at white lines for clues as to what speed you should be travelling. I belive that unless its a built up area it would be treated as deragulated(national speed limit) which would be 60mph

nffc
22-06-2006, 00:04
ABD - Speed Limit Signing Requirements (http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_limit_signs.htm#combinations)

ABD - Unlawful 30MPH limits (http://www.abd.org.uk/30.htm)

greencreeper
22-06-2006, 08:28
I was always told that it was 40 mph if there were street lights but no houses, or 30 mph if there were houses. All depends on the road and traffic conditions though.

Aragorn
22-06-2006, 09:10
Highway Code (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103) says:

The 30 mph limit applies to all traffic on all roads in England and Wales (only Class C and unclassified roads in Scotland) with street lighting unless signs show otherwise)

If there were no street lights, it should be 60.

Ramrod
22-06-2006, 10:11
Is that the road coming from Ringwood roundabout towards the Littledown center? If so, afaik, it's 60 mph till it becomes 50mph on the flyover.

Acathla
22-06-2006, 10:24
What you dont realise was that everyone was frustrated at you and pumping their horns to hurry you up.
BUT, because you had your britney tape on full volume, you couldnt hear them :)

Hugh
22-06-2006, 10:40
What you dont realise was that everyone was frustrated at you and pumping their horns to hurry you up.
BUT, because you had your britney tape on full volume, you couldnt hear them :)

Probably WestLife, actually, or Daniel O'Donnell

:notopic:

Jules
22-06-2006, 11:36
Hey I like Westlife!

I would have thought it was 60 also but to be on the safe side I would have driven at 40

King Of Fools
22-06-2006, 12:43
Highway Code (http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.htm#103) says:
The 30 mph limit applies to all traffic on all roads in England and Wales (only Class C and unclassified roads in Scotland) with street lighting unless signs show otherwise)
If there were no street lights, it should be 60.
Yes, 30 and 60/70 (National Speed Limit) are the only speeds that do not have to have repeater signs.

Gareth
22-06-2006, 13:18
I would have driven at 20... in that way, you're sure that someone will overtake you and then you can tailgate them to know what speed they would drive at. Plus, if they're in front of you, you'll have time to slow down if PC Plod is out with his spee... er, "safety camera" as he'll catch the guy in front of you first ;)

...of course, you might end up rear-ending the guy in front if he slams on his brakes when he sees PC Plod and you're a bit too close.

Graham M
22-06-2006, 14:18
Not only was there no "repeater sign" but there wasn't any sign at the beginning of the road to specify speed. Window was open and radio was off so noone was beeping their horns nor did anyone try to overtake... confusing

Chris
22-06-2006, 15:32
An unlit road with no repeater signs has a 60mph limit. This is not to say the local council has not imposed some other limit on it, but if they have not put the correct legal signage in place, and you get a ticket for 'breaking' the limit, you can go to court, cite the relevant sections of the highway code, and get it quashed.